Dropping Android in favor of 1520

CMitch2007

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi ll.

Took a look at the 1520 at my local Windows store since I'm a new Xbox One owner and figured it would go hand in hand with my XBL account. As for Email I'm a GMail user and checked the settings to ensure that it was possible to add that as my primary email account so all looks good there.

One thing that concerns me though is that I use my Outlook 2010 on my desktop as my email client, and for my Calendar. Syncing to my Gmail calendar is not as fluid (or even possible)as I'd like so I have to log into my GMail account online and update my calendar, I would prefer just to use my outlook 2010 calendar so my question is, does Outlook 2010 calendar sync to the Lumia 1520 smoothly? If so I think that would be the win for me to update my Sammy GS3 to the 1520.

Also, does anyone know of any decent youtube videos demonstrating the 11520 with an Xbox live account? Curious to see what it can do. I have yet to find an App that will alert you on the homescreen when one of your friends comes online.

Cheers,
Vega.

Last edited by a moderator:

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Dropping Andropid in favor of 1520

My Gmail calendar does sync and Gmail is the primary account albeit, it's over imap. The Xbox app isn't everything you'd dream of. It's nearly identical to the app on android.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
You will not have problem with the outlook 2010 and the calendar sync in the 1520. Windows Phone 8 are basically the mobile version of Windows with Office together. You will enjoy your 1520 as I do. I migrated from Android and I am very happy to moved to a more faster platform with a lot of features.

CMitch2007

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies Gents.

Pretty poor that two of Microsoft's tools/software are not well baked into their own phones considering how they want to make a mark in the mobile area. Hoping some other companies can move in on this as it would be handy for me to use my desktop Outlook to update my Calendar and have it sync to the 1520. IF I get one.

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Outlook and its calendar have always worked great with my 1520 and previous WP devices as well. The only problem I've ever had was with some weird HTML based emails my company would generate and they would arrive (from Exchange Server 2003 R2) as blank. But that's an issue specific to using that server and that format of mail, but it was very rare. As far as calendar syncing, I've never had any issues at all and I use it all the time.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft email and calendar all go with your windows phone. The 1520 is a great device, and if you enjoy the screen size and aren't bothered by it, you'll love it. If you have any other questions, like app questions, let us know, and we will answer them too!

CMitch2007

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again.

As for the screen size, that's one of the plus points for me.

Going to spend next weekend seeing if I can get this phone. I don't think Verizon carry it so I may be due some major changes....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon