Lumia 1520 Philippine user experience...

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am going to purchase a yellow L1520 in two week time. Kindly share your experiences here particularly with LTE connectivity.

I visited Memoxpress Megamall branch last week to play with the device. I launched the Nokia Camera app to test the camera, noticed a glitch when trying to review a photo. It tries to display a photo captured in landscape mode as if it was taken in portrait so at the top of the screen there is an overlapping effect on the first second. This is bothering me.

Thanks in advance!

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm using one and so far so good. Best WP I've used so far. Lte is good for me with smart. Camera is great too. Size never really bothered me

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

QilleRz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am going to purchase a yellow L1520 in two week time. Kindly share your experiences here particularly with LTE connectivity.

I visited Memoxpress Megamall branch last week to play with the device. I launched the Nokia Camera app to test the camera, noticed a glitch when trying to review a photo. It tries to display a photo captured in landscape mode as if it was taken in portrait so at the top of the screen there is an overlapping effect on the first second. This is bothering me.

Thanks in advance!

Rotation lock for that picture dude. Have a good time with your L1520 :)

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you in postpaid? I am thinking whether should I get it on a postpaid plan.

I'm using one and so far so good. Best WP I've used so far. Lte is good for me with smart. Camera is great too. Size never really bothered me

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Rynz08

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Im using Lumia 1520 under the unlidata plan of Globe. Im having connectivity issues. The highest connection it can get is only H+. It cannot connect to 4G LTE even when I'm here in Makati. Any suggestion with this concern. :(

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you using an LTE sim? Try to insert a sim from a working iP5/iP5s or L625. If LTE works with the 625 it should work also with 1520.

I am not sure whether LTE use different APN settings so try to look on that. I don't have the phone yet so that is all that I can share about your issue.

Hi guys. Im using Lumia 1520 under the unlidata plan of Globe. Im having connectivity issues. The highest connection it can get is only H+. It cannot connect to 4G LTE even when I'm here in Makati. Any suggestion with this concern. :(

monmonito

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Im using lumia 920 in ph. Also in unlidata of globe. Bihira ako makapickup ng 4g ng globe. Ang alam ko kc, kaht may available 4g signal, pero kng mas malakas ang 3g, e 3g pa din ang gagamitin nia. Wala kc option to force use 4g sa wp8. May app na '4g and 3g keep alive'. Try mo idownload. Kaya daw nia iforce ang 4g as long as my 4g signal avalable even if its weaker than 3g.

Rynz08

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you using an LTE sim? Try to insert a sim from a working iP5/iP5s or L625. If LTE works with the 625 it should work also with 1520.

I am not sure whether LTE use different APN settings so try to look on that. I don't have the phone yet so that is all that I can share about your issue.

Yup I'm using an LTE capable sim. That's also what i know. 625 and 1520 have the same LTE bands so it should be compatible with globe's LTE. If you have your phone just post here in this thread or message me here so I will know what to do. thanks!

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know that 1520 is already available in the local market. Anyway, I have a glossy red one, RM-937 Malaysia. I didn't experience the rotation glitch you've mentioned but I notice other bugs.

First of all, my battery usage initially indicates a battery usage of 2 days and more. But as I installed apps, that decreased. Viber app is the most battery-consuming app and I'd uninstalled it. Now I can experience a longer battery life with light to moderate usage. And mind you, it's battery life is very hard to kill in a single day!

Next is the autoreboot problem. I experienced it a lot of times before but I think I have provided a solution by changing my lockscreen from Bing to a non-Bing wallpaper. I also deleted most Bing apps except for Bing Weather.

Another problem is when I connect my 1520 to my Nexus 7 via BT, it disconnects after a few seconds. I haven't solved this yet.

Anyway, the camera is really impressive for a smartphone, especially if you tweak the settings. I use 4Blend HDR for shooting nature scenes with HDR but I have yet to try bracketing on Nokia Camera app. For sharing or daily use, use the 5 MP shots. For recropping, 20 MP shots. Btw, you'll see a lower-resolution images of the photos you've captured on your phone but photos will finally look fantastic on a PC.

I am using a Smart postpaid plan SIM and their LTE coverage is really great. Most LRT and MRT stations have LTE signal. The lowest LTE DL speed is about 2 MB/s and the highest is 15 MB/s.
I have yet to try night and midnight LTE speeds where only a few uses LTE and thus it could result to a faster download speed.

Daily use is very supportive and manageable but you'll have a hard time putting it out from your pockets on populated places like jeepneys. Good thing is it's also hard to be stolen unless at knife point and you don't fight for it.

If you got more questions, just reply to this thread.

And on last remarks, here's pictures of my phone taken with my Nexus 7. ;)

rybyta2a.jpg

4y8u9a5a.jpg

e7ejusa3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
i think i spoke too soon on not having lte connectivity issues with smart. my place has fair lte coverage. that is to say i get decent h/h+ on the ground floor and good lte on the 2nd. the past few days i'm stuck on G. i'm on wifi so there's really no issue but still the signal rarely goes up to even h. i placed back the sim in my 925 and i got good 4g signal. i asked about a replacement as i got it from an official retailer. they need to test it first and stuff. then next they say that there is an issue with the 1520 and smart lte so even if the unit is replaced, it would give the same results. wtf??? they said now that nokia is having back end coordinations with smart to fix the issue. oh well...

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
i think i spoke too soon on not having lte connectivity issues with smart. my place has fair lte coverage. that is to say i get decent h/h+ on the ground floor and good lte on the 2nd. the past few days i'm stuck on G. i'm on wifi so there's really no issue but still the signal rarely goes up to even h. i placed back the sim in my 925 and i got good 4g signal. i asked about a replacement as i got it from an official retailer. they need to test it first and stuff. then next they say that there is an issue with the 1520 and smart lte so even if the unit is replaced, it would give the same results. wtf??? they said now that nokia is having back end coordinations with smart to fix the issue. oh well...

Hey, can you mention what is the name of the store where you brought your phone?

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
wtf...give us an update from time to time. if this will not get fixed in 2week time i'll wait for the ICON!

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
wtf...give us an update from time to time. if this will not get fixed in 2week time i'll wait for the ICON!

Hey man, I have the 1520 too and I don't experience the same problems he mentioned he's having on Smart. And btw, I think Icon is exclusive only to a carrier in USA.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Smart has an issue since December. My Xperia V with solid LTE now has spotty performance. On the 3.5G side, my HTC 8S which is solid performer for H+ is unusable in that mode. Guess what, if I set to to 2G, I get a solid stable connection.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Smart has an issue since December. My Xperia V with solid LTE now has spotty performance. On the 3.5G side, my HTC 8S which is solid performer for H+ is unusable in that mode. Guess what, if I set to to 2G, I get a solid stable connection.

I find it weird that it's only on my 1520 I'm having issues. Yesterday it was on G the whole time at just one place then all of a sudden went back to 4G for a couple hours during the night. Now it's back on G. But when I place this sim in my old 925 or 920, I get good 4G at those same spots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo