Finally!! Lumia 1520 RM-938 for sale!! BUT...

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After few hours working with this BEAST I am feeling very comfortable with it.
My fears and doubts are gone, and I feel pleased holding it in my hands and to my ears. The screen doesn't look that big any more. I got used to its size pretty quick!

I managed to trim my Chatr micro sim to nano without using a cutter (which I ordered but didn't arrive yet). I simply couldn't wait, so with the help of a PDF template printout I grabbed my kitchen scissors and started cutting. I practiced on an old sim first before taking my own "live" card and cutting through it. I didn't even draw lines or follow instructions. It turned out easier than I thought, and I am glad I got the courage to do it because I ended with a smaller nano sim that fits perfectly in my Lumia 1520.

I switched the phone on and got a perfect signal, everything seems to be working well.

I am glad I went with the RM-938 variant. It will give me the peace of mind knowing that I can freely switch to any carrier in the future.

Today the Lumia 930 was announced with specs not any better that the 1520, so now I can feel satisfied with my purchase. Soon Windows Phone 8.1 will be available in the developers preview program, so will be upgrading to that for sure.

I will be extensively testing this device in the next couple of days and hopefully there will be no defects. A case and other accessories shall follow next.

Cheers everyone.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Not only does the screen no longer look big to me, but everything else seems impossibly small.

Tried using my Lumia 521 for something. Sheesh what a squinty screen, and trying to type on that tiny keyboard is just impossible.

Ok, so I'm getting old, my eyes are failing and I'm losing fine motor coordination, I guess. The 1520 is the right phone at the right time for me.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I told my fiancee that the 900 she still had for a while looked tiny after I had been using my 1520 for a month. She laughed and thought I was joking.

Once she got her 1520 and hadn't used her 900 for a while there was a day when she needed to grab it since we gifted it to a friend whose prior phone had broken.

She had a hard time handling it because it felt so small to even her. She was like 'Woah you weren't kidding when you said it actually seems like it shrunk. It looks so much smaller than I remember.'

So you're not the only one. It for some reason looks like it physically shrank in size to us too, even though that is obviously not the case. Gotta love how easily our human perceptions are fooled. :)

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So I've been pretty active in this thread for a while. I ordered up a 1520.3 (RM-938) from Negri Electronics a few weeks ago.

Negri's customer service was really good. They where quick to reply back to tweets and live-chats. The only things they could not 100% confirm was whether or not the 1520.3's that they stocked had Qi wireless charging. Quick shipping also.

Anyways, finally had a chance to have my SIM properly, professionally cut. For those in the Washington DC area, there's a little mobile-accessory shop named "Cyberion" in Westfield Wheaton Plaza mall who cut's SIMs. They charge $5 (I gave the tech a $2 tip also. He says he really likes the way WP looks and loves Nokia's).

I'd imagine that any of the little mom-and-pop cell phone repair/accessory stores and kiosks in malls these days have SIM cutters also.

Anyways, the the RM-938 is sick.

Battery life is really good. I was out and about all day yesterday for about 10 hours. Full charge when I left, GPS was on for about 3 hours total. Screen full brightness, WiFi and BT on all day. Listened to music and played Angry Birds Star Wars for about 2 hours total while on the Metro (subway). I still had about 30% battery left when I got home around 9:30pm.

I wear size 30/30 slim fit chinos (Volcom, Matix, RVCA brands). The phone fits all the way in my pocket fine, the top does not stick out, which I was worried would happen. Overall it feels lighter than my 920, I guess cause the weight is distributed across the extra length/width. I do need to keep my change and keys in my other pocket though.

For reference, here's how it looks sitting on a Nokia wireless charging stand:

photo.png

Speaking of which, all of the NL920 accessories work (wireless charging plates, wireless charging stands, JBL Power Up speaker...).

One more thing...It's a 1520 with Qi wireless charging and 32 GB and AT&T LTE which is sick !!!

raruhs

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
No, I could not cut it, the contacts were too big to fit the cutter hole, so if I did it I would have damaged the sim. I have tried with an old micro sim not active that I have from another phone and compare it and it was small. I guess AT&T just using some different providers of sim... or just their desire to control and not let us cut it and make us go to get a new sim.. how knows....

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So I've been pretty active in this thread for a while. I ordered up a 1520.3 (RM-938) from Negri Electronics a few weeks ago.

Negri's customer service was really good. They where quick to reply back to tweets and live-chats. The only things they could not 100% confirm was whether or not the 1520.3's that they stocked had Qi wireless charging. Quick shipping also.

Anyways, finally had a chance to have my SIM properly, professionally cut. For those in the Washington DC area, there's a little mobile-accessory shop named "Cyberion" in Westfield Wheaton Plaza mall who cut's SIMs. They charge $5 (I gave the tech a $2 tip also. He says he really likes the way WP looks and loves Nokia's).

I'd imagine that any of the little mom-and-pop cell phone repair/accessory stores and kiosks in malls these days have SIM cutters also.

Anyways, the the RM-938 is sick.

Battery life is really good. I was out and about all day yesterday for about 10 hours. Full charge when I left, GPS was on for about 3 hours total. Screen full brightness, WiFi and BT on all day. Listened to music and played Angry Birds Star Wars for about 2 hours total while on the Metro (subway). I still had about 30% battery left when I got home around 9:30pm.

I wear size 30/30 slim fit chinos (Volcom, Matix, RVCA brands). The phone fits all the way in my pocket fine, the top does not stick out, which I was worried would happen. Overall it feels lighter than my 920, I guess cause the weight is distributed across the extra length/width. I do need to keep my change and keys in my other pocket though.

For reference, here's how it looks sitting on a Nokia wireless charging stand:

View attachment 61893

Speaking of which, all of the NL920 accessories work (wireless charging plates, wireless charging stands, JBL Power Up speaker...).

One more thing...It's a 1520 with Qi wireless charging and 32 GB and AT&T LTE which is sick !!!

As a fellow Washingtonian and Lumia 920 owner that's considering a 1520 with the same concerns as you had, right down to pocketability, thanks for this post!

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Awesome. I just ordered one up from NegriElectronics too and should be getting it some time this week. Glad it has all the bells and whistles with it. I'm coming from a Lumia 920 so the wireless charging is a huge plus for me!

Yagi085

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
So I just updated to the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview on my RM-938 from Newegg, on ATT, 2gb mobile share plan not the 5gb, and can say that internet sharing works! No keyboard hack, no tweaks, simply pressed on and it worked! I hope this doesn't change by the final build....fingers crossed.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The main thing, as far as I can tell that the keyboard hack does is force your phone to download software updates from your carrier in question. Doing so on T-Mobile gets you whatever setup is required to make internet sharing work.

Doing a full software update does the same thing only more so. I think.

Anyway, I've seen software updates like this suddenly make it work in past releases, so it doesn't surprise me that this one did too.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Yesterday I got the lumia! it is great.. today i went to AT&T to get the new sim as the old one was not possible to cut to nano. It work like a charm. No issues.. it gets LTE and I also was able to manage to work the internet sharing via installing the spanish language. I still have the grandfathered unlimited plan, so it will be great to test how it works.

Phone came with English, Spanish (Mexico) and Portuguese installed, so I have to install the Spanish (Spain), as this phone is intended to be used in Latin America in order to get the internet sharing to work.

Is the internet sharing working OK with your unlimited plan? I'm thinking about going with the RM-938 rather than getting into another contract with AT&T. I don't want to go through the hassle and expense of ordering just to get rejected by AT&T when I try to use the internet share.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Doh! (Homer Simpson voice). Looks like the white and yellow versions of the RM-938 are sold out at both Negri and Newegg. Waited too long. Oh well, was on the fence about it anyway given the screen issues and the possibility of green and orange versions on the way. I wonder how soon they'll be getting in a new shipment. They never seen to know or offer a straight answer.

veneziaad

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone have to do anything special for AT&T LTE to work? I've only ever seen it say H+, and often it sticks to H. My process was as follows:
Setup device just enough to get 8.1 developer preview installed, hard reset.
Setup device all the way with my backup.
After work, went to AT&T to get a Nano SIM
Access Point says AT&T
cellular+SIM says use data, highest speed 4G, and network automatic.

I've even tried the Spain keyboard, but nothing changed. Does it just take a few days for the phone to pick up on LTE?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone have to do anything special for AT&T LTE to work? I've only ever seen it say H+, and often it sticks to H. My process was as follows:
Setup device just enough to get 8.1 developer preview installed, hard reset.
Setup device all the way with my backup.
After work, went to AT&T to get a Nano SIM
Access Point says AT&T
cellular+SIM says use data, highest speed 4G, and network automatic.

I've even tried the Spain keyboard, but nothing changed. Does it just take a few days for the phone to pick up on LTE?

The problem is 8.1 beta... other 1520 owners are reporting the same problem. LTE was flawless on 8.0 but they're having problems with LTE and WiFi since upgrading to the 8.1 Developer Preview.

veneziaad

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The problem is 8.1 beta... other 1520 owners are reporting the same problem. LTE was flawless on 8.0 but they're having problems with LTE and WiFi since upgrading to the 8.1 Developer Preview.
That very well could be, but I used Support - - Nokia - USA to get back to 8.0 GDR3, and I'm still stuck on H+ at best, usually just H, but Spain keyboard did turn on internet sharing. I'm actually very depressed about buying this phone now. I thought I had every reason to believe AT&T LTE was going to work with no issues... Not to mention that the touch screen sensitivity drives me nuts.

If I wake up tomorrow to see "4G" then I might live with it. Otherwise I'm probably going to try and see if Newegg will accept some sort of return. Anyone know if AT&T accepts returns on Invisishields?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That very well could be, but I used Support - - Nokia - USA to get back to 8.0 GDR3, and I'm still stuck on H+ at best, usually just H, but Spain keyboard did turn on internet sharing. I'm actually very depressed about buying this phone now. I thought I had every reason to believe AT&T LTE was going to work with no issues... Not to mention that the touch screen sensitivity drives me nuts.

If I wake up tomorrow to see "4G" then I might live with it. Otherwise I'm probably going to try and see if Newegg will accept some sort of return. Anyone know if AT&T accepts returns on Invisishields?

Yikes. Do you know if LTE worked fine before you upgraded? You definitely have an RM-938, right?

veneziaad

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yikes. Do you know if LTE worked fine before you upgraded? You definitely have an RM-938, right?

I was too eager to have 8.1 and the new phone so I put 8.1 on before I even got a SIM card, no way to know if it worked before or not...
extras+info stats RM-938_Ita_Ita_905, exactly what others have reported in this forum.

As of this morning, I only get H... rdubmu, H = HSPA = 3G, H+ = HSPA+ = slightly faster 3G, and LTE would be the only "real 4G" that would show up on these devices. I've had an international ROM on my 920 that uses the same nomenclature for signal speeds for a long time now.

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Received my unicorn today 😃 Unfortunately I have to go to work now so will spend more time on it this evening. I just unboxed it and turned it on for the first time.

I noticed a tiny gap at the bottom of the screen, is that normal?

Nah, I don't see any gaps at the bottom of my 1520's screen. You're referring to the area right above the micro-USB port, if the screen is facing up?

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I was too eager to have 8.1 and the new phone so I put 8.1 on before I even got a SIM card, no way to know if it worked before or not...
extras+info stats RM-938_Ita_Ita_905, exactly what others have reported in this forum.

As of this morning, I only get H... rdubmu, H = HSPA = 3G, H+ = HSPA+ = slightly faster 3G, and LTE would be the only "real 4G" that would show up on these devices. I've had an international ROM on my 920 that uses the same nomenclature for signal speeds for a long time now.

Sorry that you're having issues with 4G bro. I guess we need go through the process of elimination. It's either the fact the you upgraded to 8.1 or it's your SIM.

See if you can get a fresh, brand new nano-SIM from AT&T, have your service transferred to the new SIM and see if you're getting 4G LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro