Audio issues during calls not on speaker - Lumia 1520

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Phone calls only seem to work consistently on speaker phone. When I exit speaker phone mode, the caller cant hear me and I cant hear them, if I switch back to speaker, everything is fine and clear. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
You might have Bluetooth turned on and/or driving mode. Turn those off and it should work.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

lokuly

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I've got the exact same issue. Did you find a resolution to your problem? One interesting note, I was having the issue where the speaker worked but the mic didn?t. I rebooted the phone and not the mic works but the speaker does not. Again, when you enable speakerphone there are no issues.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Rebooting the phone did correct things for a while... until the next time I used my headset (ear-buds from my iPhone). After removing the headset and taking a phone call, the same problem occurs - audio and mic only working on speaker mode. It appears that the phone does not recognize that the headset has been unplugged. I am hoping that it is because of the headset I use (iPhone) but I haven't tried any others.

chris6mafia

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting the phone did correct things for a while... until the next time I used my headset (ear-buds from my iPhone). After removing the headset and taking a phone call, the same problem occurs - audio and mic only working on speaker mode. It appears that the phone does not recognize that the headset has been unplugged. I am hoping that it is because of the headset I use (iPhone) but I haven't tried any others.

I'm experiencing the same problem as well. I've been using iPhone 5 headphones and for me, it seems to be happening when I receive a text message (vibrate mode) while I'm playing music. It seems to disable all notification sounds and the ear speaker, only way to take a phone call was to put it on speaker phone. Luckily, I've figured out a fix with out rebooting the phone everytime this happens.
Step 1, make a phone call (611) Step 2, place it on speaker phone. Step 3, insert headphones and wait till the call transfers to the headphones. Step 3, pull headphones out, your ear speaker should be working again.
I hope this is a software issue. This was happening on the Lumia 1520 I got on launch day and returned it a few hours later. I'm currently back on the 1520 (yellow) and absolutely love this device.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
AT&T exchanged my first 1520 because nothing done over the phone or in-store would make the microphone work, including a full factory reset.

Both agreed it was a hardware problem and not apps or firmware.

The replacement has been perfect.

YMMV

chris6mafia

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You're probably right, this issue only happens when I use iPhone ear buds. I haven't seen this issue since then using Samsung headphones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Any accessories that are designed for iDevices generally won't work properly on any other products. Headphones labelled as being for Androids will work on Windows Phones too.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that this is an issue that happens when using Apple Headphones.

Its a shame tho because my white 1520 looks so good with my white In-Ear ($79) apple headphones.

I only included the price because these aren't a throwaway pair for me... :(

Cyril Bonnault

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Purchased Apr. 23rd.
Since last week callers cannot hear me while in "normal" phone.
Using loudspeaker or bluetooth works fine.
Using voice recognition in bing works.
Never used any other plugged ear phone than OEM.
Conclusion: normal mic does not work.
Reset phone ==> No improvement.

Two options: mic failure or software.
Any idea?

SolidFood

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I have read through the posts, but I am having the opposite problem. Calls to a land line while using my speakerphone do not work. Tried several calls and the person on the other end claims they either cannot hear me or the sound is severely muffled. Took off the Incipio case thinking that was the issue, but no change in the results. Oddly enough, calls to another cell phone using my speakerphone work just fine. Shear size of the phone mandates that the speakerphone function properly. Currently running 8.1. Any help or suggestion to fix this issue would be appreciated.

Tim Bearden

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a different audio issue. If I have headphones plugged in, the music will come through them however updates from email or other notifications still come through the phones speaker. This is problematic because I have to have either headphones or complete silence while at work. Anyone else having this issue? I used a bluetooth headset yesterday though and everything seemed to go through those fine.

Edit: I just had my Bluetooth on ant it still rang through my phone instead of the headset.

Last edited:

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got a used 1520 and noticed this issue as well. Works fine on speaker phone, but the other caller can't hear me when just a normal call. Cortana and everything else work fine. I'm going to order a replacement mic assembly to see if that is the issue. It has a small crack in the bottom right of the screen (about 1/2 inch in corner) so it could be from a drop. If I blow into the mic, I can hear noise and real low muffled sounds. I opened it up and checked everything and could find anything wrong inside. Hopefully the replacement assembly will fix it.

azeka

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I am facing the same issue. I just received my phone after a long waiting period, since it was not available in my Country so i ordered one from the US, and it works on Speakerphone but not in Normal Calling mode..

Any updates or any other ways how it can be fixed besides the methods mentioned above ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99