Audio issues during calls not on speaker - Lumia 1520

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. I could not hear on the speaker the person calling but I could hear on the loudspeaker. I bought my lumia 1520 just this October in UAE. I really like phone's feature but got upset due to the above problem.

I returned my phone to the vendor just today and was told this will be checked and repaired for a maximum of 15 days.i just cant imagine the hassle this phone brought upon me. Nokia or whoever owns the company should do something about this problem. They will lose more customers with the flaw or defect in their products. So many forums have already been sprouting on the internet bringing the same issue or concern. I have no phone for the next 15 days. So frustrating!

Ryan

ranga rao baru

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I could not listen to other's voices on Nokia Lumia 1520. It happened twice in last 30 - 40 days. This problem lasts for a minium of 2 days and sets automatically. But it is working good when it is on speaker. Can any body help/found the reason for this. How to bring this to normal immediately. My phone never fell down.

cysuresh

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My friend also facing this issue. He was using sony Bluetooth headset. 1520 was in wp 8.1. Tried restart, soft reset and update to latest developers preview update. Not solved. This thread is since January still there is no fix. Is it software issue or hardware issue? Any one have a fix pls update.

cysuresh

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Finaly he went nokia care and rectified freely using his warrenty period. They said some electrical problems causing this. MS please address this asap.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Purchased Apr. 23rd.
Since last week callers cannot hear me while in "normal" phone.
Using loudspeaker or bluetooth works fine.
Using voice recognition in bing works.
Never used any other plugged ear phone than OEM.
Conclusion: normal mic does not work.
Reset phone ==> No improvement.

Two options: mic failure or software.
Any idea?

I had this exact issue when I replaced my original 1520 with another under warranty. The replacement phones Mic was low to begin with, but after a couple weeks, it died all together. Speaker Phone, Headphones, BT all worked without any issues, but phone to ear was a no-go.

I took it to an AT&T Device Center here in Miami and they verified that the MIC was indeed dead and they replaced it. No issues since.

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue appear last week and multiple resets, plugging in and unplugging headsets, and Bluetooth devices did not fix it. Today I used Skype to do an echo sound check. The first time it didn't work, so I was getting ready to go swap the device under warranty. However, I remembered from Independence Day that you should always try something twice. Second sound test and the microphone worked flawlessly. I made a phone call to a friend to double check and the in call mic now works again.

Perry Joe Gabbard

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Rebooting the phone did correct things for a while... until the next time I used my headset (ear-buds from my iPhone). After removing the headset and taking a phone call, the same problem occurs - audio and mic only working on speaker mode. It appears that the phone does not recognize that the headset has been unplugged. I am hoping that it is because of the headset I use (iPhone) but I haven't tried any others.

I had this same problem and after inserting my head phones into the jack and removing them my sound bar reappeared!! Simple and easy fix! Thank you! 😊

taj47

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
The truth of the matter is that windows last upgrade caused this problem of the speaker as well as audio out put from video having no audio. I know this for sure because my lumia 1020 was purchased a little over a year and only used a couple of times for photos and videos. The phone was then put away as I did not need it, because I had another phone that I used daily. Then when my contract for the phone I used often came to an end I pulled the lumia out of the box it was in a drawer that was never used. Then I checked the lumia and looked at the photos and videos saved and everything was working fine then I went to activate the lumia and upon updating the phone with the updates was when the problems occured. So all these folks telling you to buy this or that are all wrong because theres a bug in the update downloaded that windows is choosing to do nothing about and since they know that majority of the customers warranty is outdated it's there way to make money off you by telling you to send it to them because there is a fee. Windows is so wrong for this and I've spoke with them and they reported no one is calling them with these problems they are such liars.. Just with a quick search I came across dozens I means hundreds of the same complaints..... Why windows why, stop listening to folks telling you to buy more stuff they may be working for these crooks.........

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh, dear, this does sound as a serious issue. This issue is new for me. Have not had any issue with calling on my 1520. Has this been reported to microsoft?

Medussita Gaz

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I just got a used 1520 and noticed this issue as well. Works fine on speaker phone, but the other caller can't hear me when just a normal call. Cortana and everything else work fine. I'm going to order a replacement mic assembly to see if that is the issue. It has a small crack in the bottom right of the screen (about 1/2 inch in corner) so it could be from a drop. If I blow into the mic, I can hear noise and real low muffled sounds. I opened it up and checked everything and could find anything wrong inside. Hopefully the replacement assembly will fix it.

Disbthe replacement work for you? If so please recommmend your supplier. The mic on my phone doesnt detect sound on video recording.

vishnuya

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Finally something worked for me.

I left the phone for three days , by the time the phone battery had completely drained out not even having enough power to turn on.
Then on the fourth day I charged the phone and when it switched on the issue was still there.
Then I did a soft reset with power and volume button and tada my mic issue was sorted out. I am now able to use the mic with out putting loud speakers on call.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I had to replace a Lumia 1520 because the ear speaker stopped working out of nowhere. Hardware problem, nothing I could do otherwise... luckily it was under warranty.

vishnuya

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Got the issue again.

Finally i figured out what is causing the issue.

it seems like the mic at the bottom front of the phone has some loose contact .when i press on the phone near the mic the issue seems to get resolved for sometime, but again after a while it returns.

Certainly a hardware issue. Started after i got my screen replaced for flickering issue.(may be opening the phone created it on the first place)
It sucks.
i need to get one more service done.

Bob Ferrell

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
So I have been searching the internet for a solution from software to hardware. My problem like yours was no one could hear me thru the microphone and Cortana could not hear me either. I could make calls using the speaker phone option. My solution was replacing the Microphone assembly. I've never done any teardown like this before but did it on my own and now my phone is like new. Bought the Microphone assembly on e-bay for $19.94, the seller was "fix2save" and it did save my phone. Taking apart the Lumia 1520 was found on youtube using the replacing the screen video you just stop when they are taking off the microphone part. Good luck and I hope this helps.

manuel duarte

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I believe this is not only one problem but two. It's a hardware problem for some and a sotware problem for others. Like someone here said, when you plug and unplug a headphone/ear buds the mic works again, or even during a call when activate/deactivate speaker. I do have this problem too and it's kind of annoying, but I "solved" with ear buds always connected. Not the best solution, cause you dont' ear the phone ringing, but in the other hand is less radiation near your head.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
This isn't a software issue at all. There is a design fault with the 1520 - the ribbon cable which feeds the microphone at the bottom of the phone is incredibly prone to cracking. This microphone ONLY gets used during normal phone calls. During loudspeaking calls, plus when recording anything (voice memo, video) the mic at the top is used.

When the ribbon cable fails you can sometimes make the mic work by squeezing or bending the phone. Another recent poster fixed it by pushing a wedge of paper under the ribbon cable. You will be able to fix it by replacing the entire bottom unit, which includes the ribbon cable and is available cheaply on ebay.

Hector Pons

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Specweapon replied on December 16, 2015

Accomplishments

In reply to FlappetteRides Again's post on November 9, 2015

I have found a solution to the hardware fault on my phone, my microphone was never working so clearly hardware fault. I had the same microphone issues and the LED lights below my screen wouldn't work. I found that when i twisted my phone I could get them and the microphone to work, so it seemed like a bad connection in the lower daughterboard, upon disassembly I found the fault was actually where the ribbon from that board connects to the mainboard. In the picture below marked by the red arrow, I found that applying pressure made the Led's and microphone work. My solution was to stick a small piece of 2mm thick adhesive foam onto the silver cover so it applies pressure from the back cover.

Phone is working perfectly now

cap10badass

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Specweapon replied on December 16, 2015

Accomplishments

In reply to FlappetteRides Again's post on November 9, 2015

I have found a solution to the hardware fault on my phone, my microphone was never working so clearly hardware fault. I had the same microphone issues and the LED lights below my screen wouldn't work. I found that when i twisted my phone I could get them and the microphone to work, so it seemed like a bad connection in the lower daughterboard, upon disassembly I found the fault was actually where the ribbon from that board connects to the mainboard. In the picture below marked by the red arrow, I found that applying pressure made the Led's and microphone work. My solution was to stick a small piece of 2mm thick adhesive foam onto the silver cover so it applies pressure from the back cover.

Phone is working perfectly now

Hector,
I have same problem, and when I flex the phone it will also temporarily fix lights and mic! I have already disassembled my phone once looking for the issue but nothing was obvious to me. You say you found the fault with a ribbon, but your picture doesn't show for me. Is it the wide & long one that runs from bottom of phone to motherboard?
Thanks in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss