Small pressure on screen distort colors

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that my lumia 1520 screen colors distort when making pressure on the screen even very small pressure, the touches pressure that cause this will be smaller if you also place your fingers at the back of the phone while pressing the opposite side on the screen... the problem exist everywhere on the screen but its largely affect the area near below the camera...
I know all LCD panels have this behavior, but I also know that this is why there is a glass in front of it which should manage to to make the pressure that causes this much much harder... I tried the lumia 920 and 720 (both have LCD panels) its very very very hard to make this color distortion and you need to make very very large pressure... This is not acceptable at all.

I just want to know if all lumia 1520 panels are like mine and if this is design aware issue for Nokia? Or I got a bad luck with my unit? Please help and tell me about yours?

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
When I press on certain parts of the screen (showing white background) I get grey smudges appear (not necessarily where im pushing
they mainly show up when releasing pressure but................

As I don't need to press this hard I wont be doing it again :?)

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
When I press on certain parts of the screen (showing white background) I get grey smudges appear (not necessarily where im pushing
they mainly show up when releasing pressure but................

As I don't need to press this hard I wont be doing it again :?)

how much hard did you push the screen? In my case only very little pressure, it always appear whatever the color of the background, but some colors appear more...
The smudges mainly noticeable while the process of increasing and decreasing the pressure continuously..
Yes you are right, the smudges are not necessarily appear where you are pushing exactly, I think that is because of the placement of other phone components between the screen and the back cover, in these places the screen will have more pressure because there is no free space for components to flex and take some pressure from the screen itself.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that my lumia 1520 screen colors distort when making pressure on the screen even very small pressure, the touches pressure that cause this will be smaller if you also place your fingers at the back of the phone while pressing the opposite side on the screen... the problem exist everywhere on the screen but its largely affect the area near below the camera...
I know all LCD panels have this behavior, but I also know that this is why there is a glass in front of it which should manage to to make the pressure that causes this much much harder... I tried the lumia 920 and 720 (both have LCD panels) its very very very hard to make this color distortion and you need to make very very large pressure... This is not acceptable at all.

I just want to know if all lumia 1520 panels are like mine and if this is design aware issue for Nokia? Or I got a bad luck with my unit? Please help and tell me about yours?
I believe what you see is by design. To make the phones so thin, all unnecessary layers of glass are eliminated and the touch area and display are combined into one piece. This almost eliminates the reflection of the display, improves the sunlight readability ...

I have Surface Pro 2 and the display behaves the same, my Nook HD+ has optically bonded screen (touch + LCD) and behaves the same ... The iPhone 5 and 5S have optically bonded screens but they do not respond the same way on pressure because the display is so small. Nokia Lumia 920 doesn't have optically bonded screen. The touch has separate glass from the LCD display thus more resistive on pressure.

AgroUrban

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the same thing. When I touch a little harder on white background I get gray smudges on the middle-right part on the screen. Whereever I push, smudges appears on that part of the screen.
Is this a bad unit or is it normal? Should I change the screen or would it be the same?
It does not make me a problem when I use the phone, but I wish to know is it normal or did I get the bad unit.

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing. When I touch a little harder on white background I get gray smudges on the middle-right part on the screen. Whereever I push, smudges appears on that part of the screen.
Is this a bad unit or is it normal? Should I change the screen or would it be the same?
It does not make me a problem when I use the phone, but I wish to know is it normal or did I get the bad unit.

Its fine, its only bad if when you use it for normal use you see it, if you never see it while making calls/gaming/text and so on, then dont worry.....they are all the same.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
This is not a bug, this is okay for such type of screen used in 1520. Screen and digitizer has almost not space between. Just compare it with 920, which has at least 1mm space between screen and digitizer. :)

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This is not a bug, this is okay for such type of screen used in 1520. Screen and digitizer has almost not space between. Just compare it with 920, which has at least 1mm space between screen and digitizer. :)
I understand what you are refering to but actually this is a bad design decesion as this will make the bright spots issue which make the screen so much annoying and these spots actually defects and not acceptable...

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
To make this happen I have to press between 5 /10 times harder than I would ever really need to, but if you get this from a normal everyday touch then yes....return it.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
What spots? How it could produce them?

behind the screen there is some internal elements so between the screen and the back cover some elements fill the space totally and so with pressure on the screen, the spots on the screen were these element exist will be affected by high pressure when pressing it or while in your small pocket and so the LCD at these spots will be a little damaged where the light will not pass this spot uniformly like other parts of the screen and so the light will distort at this spot and leak out of the screen more than what it should be and this spot will look brighter, how much brighter depends on how much damage done to the LCD... Also the damage may lower the active working pixels at that spot.. That's why I'm saying it is bad for nokia to not make the phone a 1 mm thicker and avoid defects to our screen...

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
To make this happen I have to press between 5 /10 times harder than I would ever really need to, but if you get this from a normal everyday touch then yes....return it.

i need to press about 3 times harder than the normal touches, i don't care about the distortion as much as i care about the bright spots which appear because of the pressure.. This pressure can happen from many scenarios other than touching the screen hard, imagine it in your small tite pocket, or being hitted by something or..... You need to be so much careful using it...

AgroUrban

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1520 screen distorsion - YouTube

Watch it carefully, wherever I press, It's always on the same place near the camera.
Should I change screen, or would it be the same? :-/
I does not make me a problem for using, but can it destroy the sceen form constant distortion? I dont press this hard all the time ofcourse, but since it react from pressure from behinde also, would constant distortion destroy the screen?

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. My screen distorts while text messaging. I just got a replacement and I noticed the same problem on the second one as soon as I booted up for the first time and I had to type in my email address. I am simply typing normally when It happens. I'm worried that it will only get worse, but I'm not confident getting another replacement will be ant different.

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem on my 1520. I had mine replaced for the same issue. The second one has the same problem. This makes an otherwise stellar phone seem cheap. I am contemplating getting another replacement.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue when I got my device originally. It was only in a couple of spots and only occurred when pressing on the back of the phone near the camera and one other place. However since I had my screen replaced due to the fact I smashed it I no longer see this at all. Not sure why.

EpidemikE1

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I've noticed this recently on my 1520. I dont push hard at all, more of a tap. It seems like its always in the same area for me. If looking at the phone in portrait mode its about 1/4 off dead center to the right and then up about 1/4 of the way on the screen.

PirateSunil

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here after i got my screen replaced due to white dots.
Distort colors even if i just place my phone on a flat surface (At camera area.). If i press gently then too at the same area.
I checked with another lumia 1520 at a nokia store but it was fine. Arranged a pick up from Nokia care for same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb