Bright spot on screen

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the 1520 for a couple months now and have had a recurring problem with a bright spot on the display. You can see it most vividly when the image rendered on that spot is white - like the blank part of a screen with a white background. When there's nothing to light, like a black or very dark screen, it's not there. As I scroll I can see it clearly as the displayed content moves across it.

I've returned two1520s with the exact same issue in the exact same spot on the screen - about 1.5 inches north and slightly west of center. I'm on my 3rd phone now, as this seems to reappear after a bit of use - I've tested each phone at the store before leaving and the spot wasn't there.

It's most easily seen on something like the reading mode screen on Unibeam - a plain white screen.

Haven't heard of anyone else having this issue, but, it's driving me nuts...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had three small bright spots on my 8X. It never caused me any problem at all, I just lived with it.

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had same issue on my 1520 returned it got a replacement and its been fine. The spot was so bright on a white background it caught my eye everytime, once you found it you couldn't look away. Interestingly the build date on phone with spots was like 8-13. Replacement was 11-13. Phone wasn't even out that early but it was produced apparently.

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I had same issue on my 1520 returned it got a replacement and its been fine. The spot was so bright on a white background it caught my eye everytime, once you found it you couldn't look away. Interestingly the build date on phone with spots was like 8-13. Replacement was 11-13. Phone wasn't even out that early but it was produced apparently.

Yeah, now that I'm out of the return period I'll have to warranty it, which will not be as simple. Don't know if I'll do this after two returns for the exact same issue. This time it's not as bright, but, it just showed up about 6 weeks after the last return, which makes me suspect it'll become brighter over time...

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I too have the same issue.. I thought I messed it up! For now its not that annoying.. can see it only if I want to see.. but I couldn't get myself to ignore it :D ..Too bad I'm in the US with a 937 version.. Not sure how successful I will be in getting a warranty in case it gets worse..

From the way you describe it, I too have it 1.5 inches north from the center and in line with the N of the Nokia Logo... I suspect this could be because of a component behind the screen.. possibly a design issue :(

jasonrush

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 spots. One where you mentioned and one to the right. I'm guessing pressure from something pushing on it while in my pocket caused it. It bothers me but it would probably just happen again if I got a replacement so I'll live with it.

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I too have the same issue.. I thought I messed it up! For now its not that annoying.. can see it only if I want to see.. but I couldn't get myself to ignore it :D ..Too bad I'm in the US with a 937 version.. Not sure how successful I will be in getting a warranty in case it gets worse..

From the way you describe it, I too have it 1.5 inches north from the center and in line with the N of the Nokia Logo... I suspect this could be because of a component behind the screen.. possibly a design issue :(

Mine was exactly 1.5" from top center and about .250" to the left. Its def a quality issue.

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the second spot, too. As mentioned, I've returned two devices for the same reason, already. It's unlikely to be a problem of user error. It continues to get brighter over time, as well. I absolutely love this device, otherwise. Not sure I can stand to look at this increasingly "bright spot" for too much longer...

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I too also had this issue, I just assumed it was user fault. I returned through warranty under the disguise of battery problems (with a mention of screen issues).

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issue appear on my 8X after a month. Then again that was the that was a small issue on the worlds most poorly designed device.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, around 3 cm from top and 1 cm to right, its really annoying, anyone noticed it while displaying other colors or regular use? At the worse cases may it harm the usual use?
Actually the display is pad in many ways, lights ununiformally distributed and yellowish at the buttom half of the screen, also the lcd screen distort with small pressure.... Comparing this screen to the 920, the 920 is much much better in quality and perfection...

Louis Herber

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
For me, it's the same. A brighter white spot, about half a centimer in diamter, at about 25% top-down and 25% from right side. Don't know how long its there - I have the phone just 1 week - as I just noticed it. However, now I know it, my eye keeps sticking to it :p It's just annoying enough to ask a replacement. however, reading the posts here, not sure if that would help in any way.

I ordered a Lumia 1520 in the Netherlands via an online shop. Replacement policy takes about 2 weeks, while I need my phone back WITHIN 2 weeks.
Why not just replace the thing in shop, why should it take so long!
Telephony provider provides "replacement phone policy", but not if you order it via 3rd party (and THAT they don't state in the usual ads and information)
Nokia Care should be quite fast, but not reachable. Don't know what's better.

Maybe I just have to deal with it, wait a few weeks/months and THEN report it. Maybe then there is a solution and guerantee I won't receive another phone with the same issue overtime?

anon(8010562)

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's the same. A brighter white spot, about half a centimer in diamter, at about 25% top-down and 25% from right side. Don't know how long its there - I have the phone just 1 week - as I just noticed it. However, now I know it, my eye keeps sticking to it :p It's just annoying enough to ask a replacement. however, reading the posts here, not sure if that would help in any way.

I ordered a Lumia 1520 in the Netherlands via an online shop. Replacement policy takes about 2 weeks, while I need my phone back WITHIN 2 weeks.
Why not just replace the thing in shop, why should it take so long!
Telephony provider provides "replacement phone policy", but not if you order it via 3rd party (and THAT they don't state in the usual ads and information)
Nokia Care should be quite fast, but not reachable. Don't know what's better.

Maybe I just have to deal with it, wait a few weeks/months and THEN report it. Maybe then there is a solution and guerantee I won't receive another phone with the same issue overtime?

as pe latest update from wspaw (who started this thread) on another similar thread, he happened to replace 3 phones but the same issue persists. I had an appointment with nokia today but dropped it after seeing his response. We all gotta live with it unfortunately... I guess...
Btw, the brightness of the spot has reduced a lot since the first time i saw it.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue on my first one but was going to live with it, but as it turned out that phone also had a charging problem so I replaces it and the new one has no such problem :)

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well my new one has gotten considerably worse, lets see if AT&T will give me another replacement, this is ridiculous. I think it has something to do with the camera housing bumping the backlight into the LCD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte