Bright spot on screen

spacesnow

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
My photo is not photoshopped, only those red arrows are added by "MS Digital Image Suite" and photo's compressing added to get the file size smaller. Photo taken by cheap soap-box camera.

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Will the bright spots not show up on the video?

Just tried that with my 1520 and if I tap the screen hard enough I can make it do the same as in your video.

Probably, if I spend some time on checking exposure settings for the video. This was just shot quickly. And I'm really not tapping hard. Normal taps. It shouldn't do this and it's mainly around where I guess the camera module is.

Dr Love PhD

Banned
Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 has three small white spots that are noticeable when the screen is white (appear a very light grey). On a black screen, they appear white, but for the most part are unnoticeable when in use. Nothing you can do.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
i belive its only a matter of time untill they are coming...
i had no bright/white spot issue for 2 month, and a few weeks ago a white spot startet to appear...

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Not saying they are but the ones in the photo above look like they have been PhotoShoped.

Can't say if it is PSed, but, that's exactly what mine looks like (no exaggeration). I think it's my fifth, I believe - lost count. At this point I'm resigned to live with it until a quadcore phone with a decent size display (5+ inch) is available in the US on AT&T. I'm extremely disappointed, as these spots become extremely distracting as the brighten - and they do. Between this issue and the camera taking forever to focus (got to use my wife's iPhone to get decent shots of my 5-year-old when he's moving - 95% of the time) I'm pretty unhappy and am eyeing at a Note 3...

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Can't say if it is PSed, but, that's exactly what mine looks like (no exaggeration). I think it's my fifth, I believe - lost count. At this point I'm resigned to live with it until a quadcore phone with a decent size display (5+ inch) is available in the US on AT&T. I'm extremely disappointed, as these spots become extremely distracting as the brighten - and they do. Between this issue and the camera taking forever to focus (got to use my wife's iPhone to get decent shots of my 5-year-old when he's moving - 95% of the time) I'm pretty unhappy and am eyeing at a Note 3...

Your fifth?

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Your fifth?

Yep. I returned my 1520 twice for the light leaks, once for a weird line that looked like a crack underneath the screen, and once for a display that that stopped working - jumbled mess of pixels that rendered the entire screen indiscernible. At least the MS store was accommodating and apologetic.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this issue has been resolved in newer units yet. Wish Nokia would admit and let us know if fixed otherwise I'm probably not going to order one since I won't know if it'll have this problem or not. Also, I'm not sure if warranty in USA is covered on the 1520.3 model. $500 is too much to spend with these two unknowns.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this issue has been resolved in newer units yet. Wish Nokia would admit and let us know if fixed otherwise I'm probably not going to order one since I won't know if it'll have this problem or not. Also, I'm not sure if warranty in USA is covered on the 1520.3 model. $500 is too much to spend with these two unknowns.

This is what has kept me from changing to a 1520.3, too. I'd sell my AT&T model and snatch one of these just to be able to go back to having Qi, but I'm not paying $500 for a phone I know will develop this issue yet may not be covered by warranty. In fact, I haven't even bothered trying to RMA my 1520 with AT&T yet since it seems like pretty much every device has or will eventually have this issue. I also have an issue with PMA charging not working correctly but don't care about it enough to risk a refurb replacement when I know that lots of other folks are having the same issue, too. Ugh... such a beautiful phone, but these issues are not ​cool...

Louis Herber

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to get my 4th Nokia Lumia 1520 because of this issue.

1st time - after reading about the issue here, replaced my 1520 at the store
2nd time - after using 1.5 months, not only the two "spots" apparead but also a vertical pixel line.
3rd time - now, after using 6 months. Spots are back for some time, but cannot stand it anymore.

I think, as the Lumia 1520 is (still) a high-end device, it *shouldn't* have issues like this. I think we deserve a good quality product, as we are used to with Nokia, especially in this price range.

I don't like this fact at all, and not being able to use my phone for those weeks when it's in repair. Happily, Vodafone has some good repair and replacement phone services, but still...if there was any chance changing it to a 930 - I believe at least the build quality is better on that one.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just received my replacement 1520 from AT&T and it has three of those spots mentioned. Noticed it immediately upon powering up the phone and watching the AT&T boot screen as well as the windows phone screen. This was supposed to be a replacement for my 1520 from the Microsoft store which has been pretty much perfect, I just got tired of the swipe bug. Sent the defective one back to AT&T this morning and their sending me out another one.........fingers crossed!

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I've ben using this phone for a year now and dealing with these goddamn spots that slowly become brighter. It's late November and there's no other WP with a large enough screen for me. No flagships on the horizon - maybe not even until W10 in April or later.

I can't do it anymore. I'm getting a Note 4. I'll probably get the first high-end WP with a 5.7" or larger display as soon as it's released, but I can't keep using this phone or any other current WP. This saddens and frustrates me.

Sorry to vent, folks, but it seems there isn't a solution to this issue with the otherwise fantastic 1520...

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 937 1520 for a year now, and the spot showed up a few weeks ago. Almost exactly opposite to where everyone else's is though - an inch from the top and an inch to the RIGHT of centre. Annoying, but only when viewing pages or photos with a white background. Wonder if the vibrator is responsible...

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
When returning your 1520s try asking for a 930 as a replacement. The screen is smaller, but being Amoled it doesn't suffer the issues you mention in this thread. The 930 screen is just gorgeous. What with the tap issues and the bright spot issues on the 1520, the 930 is certainly less of a gamble. It is very solidly built as well.

T1Cybernetic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have s bright spot on my screen too :( About 4cm down and 3cm in from the left of the screen.

What's the best option to get it fixed, I have already sent it in once for a charging problem which is now fixed but having to send it back in for something else is a pain...

Bibbleq

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I returned mine on Thursday (UK) for repair - had a phantom touch issue & screen bright spots as secondary (I've got 3 showing). Just had it come back with exactly the same spots on the screen.

Not sure what to do next - if I want to fight with support or just give up and see if the touch issues are better.

Had issues like this when it was Nokia care where they didn't seem to pay any attention to the notes you submitted with a repair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo