Should I buy Lumia 1520

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have had Lumia 920 for 1 year now and am very happy with it. I had a look at 1520 and it really looks amazing. I use my phone for mostly internet, email and sometimes to create documents, mostly word.

Should I get 1520 or wait for the next model? My 920 works perfectly but really tempted to get 1520.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Better not since I'd read from somewhere that MS supports their devices under a 36-month period. And currently, 1520 does not have any phenomenal advantage over the 920, especially since the latter will also be receiving the Black update. The quad-core processor only helps a little in loading apps and taking shots, plus it supports the 1080p screen and saves battery.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,

But since Lumia 1520 is quite new, 36-month support is more than enough for me. I will keep it for no more than 20-24 months anyways.
I just think larger screen might be easier to use when emailing / writing word documents etc.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Better not since I'd read from somewhere that MS supports their devices under a 36-month period. And currently, 1520 does not have any phenomenal advantage over the 920, especially since the latter will also be receiving the Black update. The quad-core processor only helps a little in loading apps and taking shots, plus it supports the 1080p screen and saves battery.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
what advantage do you want? 16 cores, 8Gb ram??? Fours Microsd slot? Three sim slots? If 1520 is not significant upgrade from 920, then I have no idea what should Nokia do. :)

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
what advantage do you want? 16 cores, 8Gb ram??? Fours Microsd slot? Three sim slots? If 1520 is not significant upgrade from 920, then I have no idea what should Nokia do. :)

Probably something that can surprise us, something we could not possibly think of like how they pulled off the Nokia Lumia 1020's 41-megapixel and superb imaging. 1520's battery life is already a good improvement among other WP, but I hope Nokia won't stop there.

In terms of physical specs (processor, RAM, screen), I wish Nokia will still retain simple yet functional. They held dual-core processors for a long time but they proved to be as functional as quad-core Android counterparts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rocwest

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Go for it…you won't look back! I had my 920 for a year also and now have had the 32GB version of the 1520 for a week. Great phone and IMO it sounds ideally suited for your intended usage.

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I might actually get it this weekend. Really tempted and I do think it is a big upgrade from Lumia 920.

Any more suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Once you get that big screen in your hand, there's no going back to anything smaller. I thought my old HTC 8X was a good phone. It's insignificant next to the 1520.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am into the same boat. Its such a tempted device, that everytime I see it, my temptation increases. But I am waiting for Lumia 1850 (or whatever it will be called). As that device looks much more promising. If that device doesn't come within another 3 months, then I always have the option to go for 1520. By that time its price will go down.

Hawk Tartaros

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
It's only rumors at the moment, not even sure there will be a 1850.
Also heard of a 1525 with 3 gb of ram and a 2k screen and some other upgrades.

I think you should go for the 1520 otherwise you can wait all year round for a new phone because there always will be a better one.

I personally am impatiently waiting for the 8.1 upgrade with Cortana, but every Windows 8 phone will get that update.

sailmaster39

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
yes, best phone out there.I`ve had them all,iphone,Samsung android,etc.Nothing comes close to the 1520.Once you use this big 1520,never can go smaller again.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have great eyesight and didn't NEED a larger screen, but when I moved from iPhone 5 to the 1520, I don't know how I ever lived without a larger screen. I'm really curious about the new 5" model for Verizon....same exact specs as the 1520 in a smaller package...

Love the red, love the big screen and the UI grows on me every day. Great phone.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think 1850 will be out that soon?

It's only rumors at the moment, not even sure there will be a 1850.
Also heard of a 1525 with 3 gb of ram and a 2k screen and some other upgrades.

I think you should go for the 1520 otherwise you can wait all year round for a new phone because there always will be a better one.

I personally am impatiently waiting for the 8.1 upgrade with Cortana, but every Windows 8 phone will get that update.

Will find out in this MWC. If Nokia doesn't announce something like it, then I always have the option of 1520

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, as one of you said, if I wait for a next model I will never buy a new phone. There will always be a new one coming. I think I will be getting my 1520 this weekend, next weekend at the latest :)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Its a great device I am very happy with mine. The screen is amazing. I had the 1020 before this. The 1520 is noticeably faster than the 1020. Its the best hardware on the market with top line specs. Nokia and Microsoft will support the device for wears to come. I bet you won't be disappointed.

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Its a great device I am very happy with mine. The screen is amazing. I had the 1020 before this. The 1520 is noticeably faster than the 1020. Its the best hardware on the market with top line specs. Nokia and Microsoft will support the device for wears to come. I bet you won't be disappointed.

I did some research at it looks like it is what I need. I will be surely getting it. I have had 920 for a year now and love WP.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
YES! It is the best phone I've ever had! I will warn you though about the size: the 1st week you have it, whether its lying on a table charging or in your hand, you will be like, man this phone is huge...until you get used to it, now I feel that its the perfect size for me and every other phone is too small. Also, the battery life is amazing, just to test it out one day, i decided to moderately use my phone, so web browsing, playing some music, but nothing that would murder the battery like gaming for example. The phone lasted 2.5 almost 3 day on one charge, the battery is so big that when its plugged into my computer, it takes all night to charge, some nights when I've only slept about 6 hours, the phone wil be like 75 to 80% charged, which will easily last me a day, day and a half no problem. What a phenomenal battery life this phone has!

MarcinKe

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
YES! It is the best phone I've ever had! I will warn you though about the size: the 1st week you have it, whether its lying on a table charging or in your hand, you will be like, man this phone is huge...until you get used to it, now I feel that its the perfect size for me and every other phone is too small. Also, the battery life is amazing, just to test it out one day, i decided to moderately use my phone, so web browsing, playing some music, but nothing that would murder the battery like gaming for example. The phone lasted 2.5 almost 3 day on one charge, the battery is so big that when its plugged into my computer, it takes all night to charge, some nights when I've only slept about 6 hours, the phone wil be like 75 to 80% charged, which will easily last me a day, day and a half no problem. What a phenomenal battery life this phone has!

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion