Straight Talk

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
So does straight talk work exactly the way att works or what limitations are there? Looking to get a second Nokia Lumia 1520 and connected with straight talk.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
With a Straight Talk AT&T SIM card the service will be pretty much the same as you get with AT&T, except roaming is restricted. Even if you get an AT&T 1520, it will work on Straight Talk as long as you get a Straight Talk AT&T SIM, and not T-Mobile.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
With a Straight Talk AT&T SIM card the service will be pretty much the same as you get with AT&T, except roaming is restricted. Even if you get an AT&T 1520, it will work on Straight Talk as long as you get a Straight Talk AT&T SIM, and not T-Mobile.

Do picture text messages work? Also lte?

I also use you mail it think it's visual voicemail. Will that work?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Have had 3 windows phones and used the straight talk at&t SIM with all of them. Data/mms work fine. tgp is right. It's all about getting the apn settings put in correctly. Don't know about the visual voice mail though. Paying $45/month and not being on contract is great.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I use my 1520 on Straight Talk; had to cut my sim down to get it to work. I currently only get 3G speeds, but I have not tried any different APN settings. I've never gotten visual voicemail on Straight Talk. I previously used ST with my Lumia 900 without a hitch. I use an AT&T sim. My wife has AT&T for her Lumia 1020, and I receive text messages faster than she does.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have lte, mms, and visual vmail working with the 1520 on straight talk. You'll need to cut down the sim to nano. Also grab MagikMail from the app store to get visual vmail.

WinU

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I am looking to take my phones to Straight Talk as well. If there is any more info on the service it self that people can give? Looking to take my Lumia 920 there. Also I'd love to hear any pro's and Con's with Straight Talk. They supposedly now have 4G and LTE. I hear customer service with Straight Talk is horrible, but for $45 a month I guess you have to cut corners some where. Is $45 the final price? Any tax etc? I'm so tired of AT&T the expensive plans and their high Surcharges, Gov't Fees, and Taxes.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey, do you get the push notifications instantly? Ever since I updated my sim card to the LTE one, my whatsapp, email, Skype notifications are delayed by 10 minutes. What APN settings do you use?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Some people say they can stream music and videos with straight talk, other people say they can't.

If you violate their TOS, you will likely lose your phone number.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I used Straight Talk for about a year. Only downside for me was I couldn't get mobile data near my home. What I learned was because I wasn't getting cell signal from an AT&T owned tower, they wouldn't roam data. I had voice service on roaming, but no data. Once I got about 10 miles from home, I'd pick up a mobile data signal.

If I lived in area with strong AT&T signal, I'd recommend Straight Talk highly. I really couldn't tell any difference between my service and what my wife got on a postpaid AT&T account. And that price was great. The data issue made me move back to one of majors because I use my phone for my business and had to have reliable data service all the time.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people say they can stream music and videos with straight talk, other people say they can't.

If you violate their TOS, you will likely lose your phone number.

That's technically correct. In real life it's probably not going to happen quite like that, unless you abuse the data usage. A few months ago Straight Talk & Net10 made clear guidelines on data usage when on AT&T, and it seems they don't care as much how you use the data. That said, if it's still in the Terms of Service they can still enforce it. I stream & tether sometimes, but I try to be careful with actual data usage when doing it.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the at&t sim. Your screen shot would be highly appreciated. Did you configure it through the cellular or the APN settings app?
Thanks in advance.
do you have the t-mobile SIM? I can do a screen shot of my apn settings, but I use an AT&T straight talk SIM. The settings are different for the 2 SIM cards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb