Bad Antenna On Lumia 1520

Rum 007

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have bought Nokia Lumia 1520 in December, i had two major issues with it! First one was antenna reception is really bad every time i hold the phone from the bottom the signal bars drops to non (zero) even when i am in a 4g area. I tried resetting the phone but it didn't help so i tried my sim on a different phone and the sim worked fine so the problem is from 1520 not network i am using.

I took the phone back to the store i got it from (Harvey Norman) in Perth, Australia. The store staff were friendly enough to replace it immediately with a new one. Unfortunately the new one i got right now has the same problem (really poor antenna performance). Does anybody know about thus issue if no can you please help me and make Daniel from WPC write about it so we know if this is a major hardware issue Nokia lumia 1520 is having.

My second problem is "Audio" every time i listen to music or videos that i have installed on the phone using Headphones the audio suddenly stops when i try to stream videos online after i finished listening to music that is on the phone. I then have to unplug the headphones then plug them again for the audio to come back. Please help me with these issues, i would appreciate all your help. My lumia 1520 is international version, fully unlocked and unbranded. Thanks 🙏

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Poor cellular Signal On Nokia Lumia 1520

Hi, I have bought Nokia Lumia 1520 in December, i had two major issues with it! First one was antenna reception is really bad every time i hold the phone from the bottom the signal bars drops to non (zero) even when i am in a 4g area. I tried resetting the phone but it didn't help so i tried my sim on a different phone and the sim worked fine so the problem is from 1520 not network i am using.

I took the phone back to the store i got it from (Harvey Norman) in Perth, Australia. The store staff were friendly enough to replace it immediately with a new one. Unfortunately the new one i got right now has the same problem (really poor antenna performance). Does anybody know about thus issue if no can you please help me and make Daniel from WPC write about it so we know if this is a major hardware issue Nokia lumia 1520 is having.

My second problem is "Audio" every time i listen to music or videos that i have installed on the phone using Headphones the audio suddenly stops when i try to stream videos online after i finished listening to music that is on the phone. I then have to unplug the headphones then plug them again for the audio to come back. Please help me with these issues, i would appreciate all your help. My lumia 1520 is international version, fully unlocked and unbranded. Thanks ��

1) I cant help you with the first one :/
2) could it be you are using headphone that have control talk and could be faulty and stops the music all together ?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if the streaming music and videos is related to the poor signal you have with the 1520 ....... well to trouble shoot you could connect to wifi and see if you still have issues

Rum 007

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I tried that, i don't think its related to signal because sometimes when i play a game same thing happens. Its crazy because Microsoft never got the audio right, since lumia 920.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I tried that, i don't think its related to signal because sometimes when i play a game same thing happens. Its crazy because Microsoft never got the audio right, since lumia 920.

ah so let me get this strait ...I hope im right on understanding it ...so you say you are listening to music but later go to Pandora or Spotify to w/e music streaming app and it kills your music and play it again until you take out and re-plug in your headphones ? if so then I had that issue and I had to use the app to stop the music and then play it again :/

Rum 007

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

You nearly right, but when i watch for example a youtube video after i listened to a song on my phone the video plays but the audio that comes from the video stops. But the video itself stays playing until i stop the it then unplug the headset and plug back in.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

You nearly right, but when i watch for example a youtube video after i listened to a song on my phone the video plays but the audio that comes from the video stops. But the video itself stays playing until i stop the it then unplug the headset and plug back in.

ah ok then gotacha ......well I can say it happens to my 810 and like the only way to hear music is to stop the current music that is playing in the backround and it works again :/

parasupaman

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I FOUND THE SOLUTION! (I can now stop banging my head against a brick wall)

I noticed that my low signal problems occurred after I updated my Malaysian Lumia 1520 from Windows Phone 8.0 to 8.1. So the first clue is that the issue had to be software/firmware related.

I happened to also buy an Australian Lumia 1520 for my wife and had no such problems. Even after upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile.

After trying almost everything to fix the low signal on my Malaysian Lumia 1520, including disassembling and playing around with the hardware antenna, I finally had an epiphany: Perhaps if I could flash the Australian Lumia 1520 firmware onto my Malaysian handset, that would fix the problem.

Low and behold Google confirmed that it is indeed possible to flash different region firmwares.

I used the following Tutorial to flash my Malaysian handset to the Australian firmware and all is now well, with great signal reception for both WiFi and normal cellular usage. This implies that some regional firmwares, in this case Malaysia, cause low signal reception. You can experiment with different regions, but I can confirm that the Australian firmware works great on my Malaysian Lumia 1520. All the best!

TUTORIAL LINK:

Tutorial | Microsoft Lumia devices and Nokia… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

'AUSTRALIAN' FIRMWARE THAT I FLASHED:

Phone model: Lumia 1520
PackageTitle: RM-937 VAR APAC AU CV BLACK
Product Code: 059V2M6
HardwareModel: RM-937
Last Firmware: 02540.00019.14484.37007

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon