Get it now or wait?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, if you don't know me by now, it's me, unstoppablekem. I currently own a Lumia 920 on AT&T, and love it so far. But I really like the 1520. The reason why I didn't get it at launch was because of only 16GB (I know it has microSD) and no Qi built in or accessory, only PMA accessory. That got me real mad because I bought a bunch of Qi accessories from AT&T, probably $400 total, and I really don't want to buy new accessories just because they choose to make a change that affects us "dozens" of WP users. Then they announced a 32GB version, so I was going to wait for that. Now that it came out, I'm disappointed it is only in one color.

But now with the new online deal, I'm really tempted to get a 1520. But since it's been out for a few months already, it is going to be "outdated" real soon in MWC and //build with the new S805 chips, and WP8.1 loaded into it already.

So what should I do? Get it now, or wait a little longer and see the Windows Phone devices that are announced at MWC and //build? Take the poll and comment below. Thanks!

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, if you don't know me by now, it's me, unstoppablekem. I currently own a Lumia 920 on AT&T, and love it so far. But I really like the 1520. The reason why I didn't get it at launch was because of only 16GB (I know it has microSD) and no Qi built in or accessory, only PMA accessory. That got me real mad because I bought a bunch of Qi accessories from AT&T, probably $400 total, and I really don't want to buy new accessories just because they choose to make a change that affects us "dozens" of WP users. Then they announced a 32GB version, so I was going to wait for that. Now that it came out, I'm disappointed it is only in one color.

But now with the new online deal, I'm really tempted to get a 1520. But since it's been out for a few months already, it is going to be "outdated" real soon in MWC and //build with the new S805 chips, and WP8.1 loaded into it already.

So what should I do? Get it now, or wait a little longer and see the Windows Phone devices that are announced at MWC and //build? Take the poll and comment below. Thanks!

I recommend you wait a little bit longer for Lumia 1820 like me. And it could be compatible with your $400 worth of accessories. But more importantly 8.1 and superior hardware.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I recommend you wait a little bit longer for Lumia 1820 like me. And it could be compatible with your $400 worth of accessories. But more importantly 8.1 and superior hardware.

The 1820's specs seems too good to be true, but yeah, 8.1 will have even more amazing hardware.

Might've been sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's what we said about the 920 and 1020 too...

I disagree , both of those phones were on old hardware (especially the 1020) compared to other phones when they were launched. The 1520 is on top spec stuff now and it handles everything thrown at it.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I disagree , both of those phones were on old hardware (especially the 1020) compared to other phones when they were launched. The 1520 is on top spec stuff now and it handles everything thrown at it.

imo I don't think we will see game changing hardware upgrades till November of this year.

Besides, if you wait for the next greatest thing, you will always be waiting.

If anything launches this spring, it will be more of a 920-925 type jump ..... Not a 920-1520 jump

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's what we said about the 920 and 1020 too...
The S805 itself probably isn't worth waiting for, except if you really like the camera software Qualcomm provides (assuming WP will make use if it). You will not experience any perceivable performance benefit over the L1520. Even the difference between a L920 and L1520 is already very subtle.
On the other hand, with that investment in Qi, I probably wouldn't settle for something without it. What about importing a European model with Qi and 32GB?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The S805 itself probably isn't worth waiting for, except if you really like the camera software Qualcomm provides (assuming WP will make use if it). You will not experience any perceivable performance benefit over the L1520. Even the difference between a L920 and L1520 is already very subtle.

The 805 is much more powerful though, can handle a lot more, and is 64 bit, right?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The 805 is much more powerful though, can handle a lot more, and is 64 bit, right?

No, no and no. Right now many act as if the 805 is sure to "change the industry", but the actual technical documentation from Qualcomm paints a different picture. As soon as the 805 is released the hype will instantly die and everyone will act as if it was never such a big deal. It's the usual hype machine. The GPU is the only component that is notably more powerful, however the 40% number is for marketing purposes only. The end user will be hard pressed to notice any difference at all {edit1}compared to a 1520{/edit1} The exceptions are the camera software, and if applicable, the ability to consume 4k media and feed 4k displays, both of which probably won't be important to most consumers for still quite some time. If any of those are important to you, you might want to wait, otherwise not so much.

{edit2}Note also that a device with a 2k display but only a 40% more powerful GPU (assuming a 40% improvement in all GPU operations which isn't the case) would actually perform quite a bit worse than the 1520... The 40% performance increase wouldn't be enough to push the increased number of pixels in the same amount of time.{/edit2}

Yeah. 2k on a 5.2 screen wont do any justice. But the 3GB ram could be legit if its aimed to compete against Galaxy note 3 (or its successor).

With one caveat, there would be absolutely no benefit to increasing RAM to 3GB on 1080p devices. At least in that regard the rumour is consistent, because with a 2k display we certainly would get more RAM... at least 3GB. If the device sticks with 1080p, and WP8.1 doesn't change how WP's memory management works (the caveat), I think 3GB is very unlikely.

Last edited:

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I think you should wait at least till MWC to make your decision. If they announce anything you fancy, then wait. Otherwise, pick up the 1520. But at least, wait till MWC

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they will announce anything like the 1520. Nokia should seriously focus more on phones that are actually selling (not on "niche" products like 1520 and 1020). Lumia 520 is by far the most popular WP8 device and 525 is hardly available. Not to mention the lack of 720 or 820 successors.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Then they announced a 32GB version, so I was going to wait for that. Now that it came out, I'm disappointed it is only in one color.

First world problem.

Do you have a source for this? I don't think you are going to see anything with a S805 chip in the Lumia line of phones any time before fall. If you are on contract I really can't see paying those monthly bills for 8 months while sitting on an upgrade. 8 months is a third of your contract time!

And even if some S805 device does materialize any time soon you can't count on picking up a 32 GB version for $125.

Phones are getting commoditized and unless you are really into gaming or want to shoot a lot of 4K video I don't see what faster and faster quad cores are going to do for Windows Phone. I doubt when the S805 hits the general day to day experience for Windows Phone 8/8.1 is going to be very different.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a source for this? I don't think you are going to see anything with a S805 chip in the Lumia line of phones any time before fall. If you are on contract I really can't see paying those monthly bills for 8 months while sitting on an upgrade. 8 months is a third of your contract time!

And even if some S805 device does materialize any time soon you can't count on picking up a 32 GB version for $125.

Phones are getting commoditized and unless you are really into gaming or want to shoot a lot of 4K video I don't see what faster and faster quad cores are going to do for Windows Phone. I doubt when the S805 hits the general day to day experience for Windows Phone 8/8.1 is going to be very different.

Never said it will be true, but i have a good feeling the 805 will come to the first batch of WP8.1 devices.

http://www.windowscentral.com/snapdragon-805-processor-at-CES

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb