Get it now or wait?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
See that's the thing, if size is a problem for you then its fine to wait. Because in coming few months, there is definitely going to be a phone with similar internal as L1520 but smaller in size. But I don't support if you just want to wait for better CPU/RAM. I personally love bigger screen, I watch lot of movies and TV shows. And I think with more tile upgradable option with next WP update, big screens will have advantage over smaller screen.

You really can't judge the screen size by holding it few times, I would say try using a big phone for some more time, may be some one in your family or friend circle have bigger size phone and then decide? if you still can't get used to the size then wait.

For me, it is mostly the thought of getting an "outdated" phone. So yeah, it is because I want to wait for WP devices with the 805 chip, which may sound stupid to you guys, lol.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I never said the Lytro was true, but I do have a feeling they will announce good stuff there at MWC.

I didn't mean you specifically. There is tons of chatter on this forum about the Qualcomm s805 and so forth. That stuff is coming but not in 30 days.

Waiting to see a quadcore in a smaller form factor is a reasonable thing. Frankly I don't know why it hasn't happened already. Instead of screaming about 32 GB of storage and Qi charging I think encouraging Nokia to release a powerful phone in a 5" chassis would have been a better use of people's time. Everything else is niche.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, unstoppablekem, I voted "wait", but not for the reasons everyone else is. As far as the L1520:

I find it laughable- HILAROUS- that we still have those who think it's specs will be "outdated" anytime soon. Accepting some Earth-shattering, amazing, state of the art jump ahead, I can think of nothing rumored for WP 8.1 that would not run on the L1520. It is an amazing hardware jump up in the world of WP, and I see no reason for anyone who is tempted by this beast to wait. WP 8.1 devices will be "new", and there may be hardware upgrades (though I truly doubt it myself), but light years ahead enough to make Kin Kong Bundy here obsolete?? (See what I did there?) No way. Not a chance.

HOWEVER....

There is something about waiting for the right thing. I love the L1520, but at the price it is at, that 6" screen drawback has kept me away. For some, it is just the price. For some, it is some other small ditty that they just can't put their finger on. For you, just the fact you dropped this poll tells me you should wait. It is only a matter of months, your phone still rocks, and there is no hurry.

I am not sure what will be announced at WMC. But, we may get a surprise or 2. And within 2 months, you could be comparing some fun new toys.

Let's say WP 8.1 is announced in April, and devices hit in May. If you can put yourself on a tight leash and hold out that long, there will be some great new stuff. I am sure the rumored Samsung will come out then, and surely Nokia and HTC won't be sitting on the sideline. Fun, fun, fun!!

BUT...

If not, there will still be shiney, new, 6" of awesome L1520's waiting to be taken home and loved. The price may even drop. I am sure they will get WP 8.1 upgrades, and you are out nothing as you and your current phone will have more memories to be shared.

Oh, it will still NOT be outdated.

"Kin" Kong Bundy.... GET IT???

I crack myself up.....

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, unstoppablekem, I voted "wait", but not for the reasons everyone else is. As far as the L1520:

I find it laughable- HILAROUS- that we still have those who think it's specs will be "outdated" anytime soon. Accepting some Earth-shattering, amazing, state of the art jump ahead, I can think of nothing rumored for WP 8.1 that would not run on the L1520. It is an amazing hardware jump up in the world of WP, and I see no reason for anyone who is tempted by this beast to wait. WP 8.1 devices will be "new", and there may be hardware upgrades (though I truly doubt it myself), but light years ahead enough to make Kin Kong Bundy here obsolete?? (See what I did there?) No way. Not a chance.

HOWEVER....

There is something about waiting for the right thing. I love the L1520, but at the price it is at, that 6" screen drawback has kept me away. For some, it is just the price. For some, it is some other small ditty that they just can't put their finger on. For you, just the fact you dropped this poll tells me you should wait. It is only a matter of months, your phone still rocks, and there is no hurry.

I am not sure what will be announced at WMC. But, we may get a surprise or 2. And within 2 months, you could be comparing some fun new toys.

Let's say WP 8.1 is announced in April, and devices hit in May. If you can put yourself on a tight leash and hold out that long, there will be some great new stuff. I am sure the rumored Samsung will come out then, and surely Nokia and HTC won't be sitting on the sideline. Fun, fun, fun!!

BUT...

If not, there will still be shiney, new, 6" of awesome L1520's waiting to be taken home and loved. The price may even drop. I am sure they will get WP 8.1 upgrades, and you are out nothing as you and your current phone will have more memories to be shared.

Oh, it will still NOT be outdated.

"Kin" Kong Bundy.... GET IT???

I crack myself up.....

That was an excellent post, thanks! I think I got the "Kin" reference, like saying the 1520 is as big as King Kong?

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What, can these Lumia 1820 specs even be real? I mean it's not too unrealistic because the Galaxy S5 is going to have very similar specs, but but.. there is supposed to be a smaller 1520 too, which is smaller than the 1820, basicly a 930, can they really anounce and afford to sell 2-3 expensive Phones? WP8.1 would need to be insane (lots lots lots of new features rivaling Android, not behind iOS) that this would make any sense.

Also.. does anyone know what happend to this Aluminium Lumia that leaked alongside the Lumia 1020, not that i would want that one though, i like the yellow on the Lumias :) It kinda looks like a 5" Phone

aluminium.jpg

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...Also.. does anyone know what happend to this Aluminium Lumia that leaked alongside the Lumia 1020, not that i would want that one though, i like the yellow on the Lumias :) It kinda looks like a 5" Phone

Those unibody aluminum frames are really nice. I had one on my Nokia N8.

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
You need to use one to decide. The galaxy note series still feels like a phone to me. The 1520 has crossed some size threshold and feels to me like a small tablet that happens to be able to make phone calls.

Is that what you want? Its a two handed device only, and it may not easily fit in some pockets.

If that IS what you want, you'll love it. I love mine. I just recognize that the size could very well be an issue for some. The size makes it very much a niche product only.

If you don't want something that large, just wait, there will be a 5in version soon enough.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
You need to use one to decide. The galaxy note series still feels like a phone to me. The 1520 has crossed some size threshold and feels to me like a small tablet that happens to be able to make phone calls.

Is that what you want? Its a two handed device only, and it may not easily fit in some pockets.

If that IS what you want, you'll love it. I love mine. I just recognize that the size could very well be an issue for some. The size makes it very much a niche product only.

If you don't want something that large, just wait, there will be a 5in version soon enough.

Thanks for your input! I do hope a global 929 variant comes, especially to AT&T. :)

Might've been sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I find the 1520 easily pocketable, even in jeans (im not cool enough for the skinny variety tho ;) ) and I can do something's one handed. My hands are not that big either

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I would really like to see the solar charging in the screen......but not at the expense of using this awesome device known as the 1520, the size was an answer to my prayers :) but not everybody is me ;)

NokiaLumia1520wut

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
i say get it now
because the new phones will be high prices and they are not that new..
u have everything in Lumia 1520, even the greatest battery..
i think people buy new phones for the competitions..
when one has good phone and the other one have best phone, so he gets jealous or something.. so he buys new phone
i was that guy.. but this year i'm buying the last phone for 4-3 years, not once a year..
ha my english is fine so i hope u understood

Jcowley

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't foresee any fantastic innovation within the next 6 months that will render this phone obsolete. The 805 brings a moderate GPU upgrade, although it is likely to make little difference in day-to-day usage. Nobody will make games for a GPU in <1% of phones so unless you are a fairly extreme mobile gamer that absolutely must have the best of the best, I say go for it now!

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm just not familiar with MWC, to be honest. The poll said Build so I mentioned Build. =P

There won't be new announcements at Build, but there will be announcements at WMC which is end of February. Probably Asha 400 (Normady) and some Lumias, the current 5-9xx line is quite outdated in terms of specs/price ratio, even the Moto G has better hardware now. That said, we have no idea when any of the new Lumias might even be out, or which ones will be out.

Question is really what devices are even real, we have the Lumia 1820 with truly insane specs, Lumia ???? a 1520 but in the size of 920 with quite affordable specs, 625/630, all so questionable names, especially the 1820, a 5" device but higher number than the 1520? Thing is if they really go with x20, they will not be real WP8.1 Phones, while the x30 might already lack the Hardware buttons, especially on the 630 it would save additional costs, also with the lack of hardware buttons it would let Microsoft implement "swipe to show buttons" like on Windows 8, which would give Apps more space and stop "nooo damn, i didn't want to activate the search or go back home". I can't be the only one who wants that a swipe able Bar on the bottom instead of fixed **** (at least as option please), there is nothing more annoying then capactivie buttons that are always on, soo annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss