My Video Review of the Lumia 1520 Video Camera

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Im going to do a review of the phone itself but thought I would do a separate just about the video camera since it seems to be a bit of a hot potato.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice job! I like your comparisons with the high-end video cameras. The Lumia 1520 video camera really seems nice for a smartphone camera.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Nice job! I like your comparisons with the high-end video cameras. The Lumia 1520 video camera really seems nice for a smartphone camera.

Yes its not that bad at all and the stabilization is great. On camera forums we often discuss how many of us would always trade some image quality for good stabilization. And there is never gonna be a perfect camera, not for any money, buy a camera for 1 million and I will find some flaws with it, let alone if its also a smartphone :)

Glad you enjoyed it :)

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Great review...I live to take videos as well, but waiting for my SD card before I start taking too many.....and I want to feel better about how they are saved to my SkyDrive before I start as well.

...and I lived the "movie" shots you did...awesome. Did you use a holder/tripod of some sort, or was it all done by hand?

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Great review...I live to take videos as well, but waiting for my SD card before I start taking too many.....and I want to feel better about how they are saved to my SkyDrive before I start as well.

...and I lived the "movie" shots you did...awesome. Did you use a holder/tripod of some sort, or was it all done by hand?

It was a mix, I was trying out different things with a tripod, just using the walls or what ever as support and to just hand hold and stabilize a bit in post. Experimenting and having fun is half the hobby :)

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Camera is good, no real issue.....videos in sun are great, but videos in low light are that bad I dont even bother, my SGS4 walks all over the 1520 when it comes to low light videos....and so do most other high end phones.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Camera is good, no real issue.....videos in sun are great, but videos in low light are that bad I dont even bother, my SGS4 walks all over the 1520 when it comes to low light videos....and so do most other high end phones.

Sure but its still relativly unusable from the SGS4 as well. There is only two ways to get good video in low light, large sensor or turn on some lights :)

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nice review. Agree on the low light but it doesn't bother me at all. Like what you said, turn on the lights. :)

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Sure but its still relativly unusable from the SGS4 as well. There is only two ways to get good video in low light, large sensor or turn on some lights :)

The phone falls flat on its face in low light when it comes to videos.

skip to 10mins in.

Nokia Lumia 1520 vs Sony Xperia Z1 Camera Comparison Using Canon 6D as Reference - YouTube

note 3 1st then htc one max, and then even the nexus 5
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Night Sample Video - YouTube

HTC One Max Night Sample Video - YouTube

Google Nexus 5 Night Sample Video - YouTube

and same thing with the 1520

Nokia Lumia 1520 Night Sample Video - YouTube

and watch this 14.50 into the video

Nokia Lumia 1520 vs iPhone 5S Camera Comparison Using Canon 6D as Reference - YouTube

Nokia needs to try and fix/help this.....how did this pass as high end 2013 flagship quality

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The phone falls flat on its face in low light when it comes to videos.
Nokia needs to try and fix/help this.....how did this pass as high end 2013 flagship quality

Yes like I said in the last post, I agree with you.
But like you pointed out with the videos, they are all pretty useless in low light. To get any kind of usable low light I suggest at the verry least a 1" sensor like for instance in the Sony RX100 compact camera, other then that a dslr or m4/3 is your best bet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney