Nokia 1520 for ?400 - what's the catch?

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Link? I was thinking of buying from this ebay seller myself?

I have had a look at it myself (here), seems legit and don't think import duties apply as with the Ebay seller.

Still can't help thinking that it will all go pear shaped and I will have a ?400 paperweight on my desk. I will hold out until the new firmware is released and if it solves the tap/swipe issue will try and find a cheap GB variant.

ldxmsg

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
You could just buy a second hand one from CEX. They have them from ?380 upwards and they have a 12 month warranty. I bought a yellow one and it's been fantastic.

cathain

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had a look at it myself (here), seems legit and don't think import duties apply as with the Ebay seller.

Still can't help thinking that it will all go pear shaped and I will have a ?400 paperweight on my desk. I will hold out until the new firmware is released and if it solves the tap/swipe issue will try and find a cheap GB variant.

Why would you think import duties would apply to one and not the other? If you do go ahead and order let us know how you get on :)

megamsp

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I have seen good deals on the wowcamera.net on their web site the 1520 is slightly cheapear than on Amazon. If the seller is the same from wich one is saffer to buy? I sent an email to Nokia Portugal and they told me that smartphone bought outside europe will not have warranty. The price is tempting but its a risk.
How can i know wich version is european? Is there a code or number that i have to look before i buy?

I want to save money but in case of a problem i prefer to send to Nokia Portugal rather than Hong Kong.

marky9074

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
For info, I didn't pay any import duties from Simply Electronics, though it did take an age to arrive (which I think is their most common complaint)

megamsp

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I purchased one from Top T on Amazon, very good service ordered on the 1st and arrived today via Royal Mail special delivery. ?411 for a HK import considering the quality of the phone is ok by me. I did email them before i placed the order and asked where they sourced but the girl who replied stated it would either be an Asia or European version. It does state on Amazon that it would be a gb version but i'll take my chances.

I'm not complaining though especially at the price for it. No import duty as it was dispatched from uk. The girl did mention in her email that they use a dedicated Nokia service centre and if there are any warranty issues with the phone they pay for postage to it. I don't have a problem with it was looking at one on Gumtree but it's worse than ebay for scammers. Absolutely stunning phone and managed to keep my 1020 to replace my iPhone 5 for work so well pleased.

I have emailed them to. They cant guarantee that it will be the 937 CV. They say that it can be this version or another. If its not the RM 937 CV version i will not have warranty in Portugal. The price they have on Amazon is 399?. I would place my order but only if they guarantee that the one that i will receive is the internacional model RM 937 CV. Dont know what to do...

cathain

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have emailed them to. They cant guarantee that it will be the 937 CV. They say that it can be this version or another. If its not the RM 937 CV version i will not have warranty in Portugal. The price they have on Amazon is 399?. I would place my order but only if they guarantee that the one that i will receive is the internacional model RM 937 CV. Dont know what to do...

What are the different versions of RM-937? Is CV European version?

megamsp

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Nokia released three different RM models of 1520 (RM-937, RM-938 and RM-939).*Out of three RM-938 is US carrier AT&T specific LTE band (Only works with few carriers). RM-937 is the international version of the same LTE model which works with most of the carriers and RM-939 version is without LTE support model.

Has the member rajamass said on his review there are 3 versions. CV i dont know what it means but in some sites the CV appears.

megamsp

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
It maybe is country variant.
I sent another email to the seller Top T. I said that i would place my ordered if they guarantee me the RM 937 version. Havent yet received an answer.
If someone knows any good deal out there feel free to post here. Im searching for a good price for the RM 937 version.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It maybe is country variant.
... Im searching for a good price for the RM 937 version.

What these sellers are selling is the RM-937 just not the variant you are looking for (in this case the HK one as opposed to one of the EURO ones).

I am looking for the GB Black (059V337 RM-937 VAR EURO GB CV BLACK) but every email I have sent to these sellers has either not been answered or when it has the message is the same, namely that they can't guarantee what variant it is going to be.

megamsp

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
So i should look for a PT (Portugal) variant? GB means Great Britain right?
Even if it is a GB variant (Great Britain) there will be no problems with warranty. I asked once to Nokia Portugal if i buy from UK the 1520 if i would have warranty. They told that yes. I would have warranty reconized in Portugal as long as i did have the invoice where it was stated the emai.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
What these sellers are selling is the RM-937 just not the variant you are looking for (in this case the HK one as opposed to one of the EURO ones).

I am looking for the GB Black (059V337 RM-937 VAR EURO GB CV BLACK) but every email I have sent to these sellers has either not been answered or when it has the message is the same, namely that they can't guarantee what variant it is going to be.

I don't think you'll get a UK-sourced 1520 at Hong Kong prices. There are several places that are selling the UK product, but you'll pay ?500-600, unless you get a used one.

(As far as I can see, the best legit price on a UK phone is from O2 in red, as follows:
- sign up for a new monthly contract at ?17 per month, and add the phone via the option of ?129 down payment and 24 months at ?15
- cancel the airtime contract within the cancellation period and pay off the phone contract
- total payment is ?489

It's locked to O2 but you can get them to unlock it.)

cathain

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if new devices are announced at MWC will it affect the price of the 1520 in the next few weeks or would it be when those announced device are actually released in April? That's assuming there is even any high end Nokia devices announced which I doubt due to the lack of any reliable leaks 2 weeks away from the event??

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if new devices are announced at MWC ...

Daniel (Rubino) has been quite outspoken about the prospect of new devices at MWC (the rumored 1820 and 1525) and I am with him on that (i.e. new devices announced at Build with WP8.1, released to market around June).

I don't know whether I can wait until then, I absolutely loved the 1520 the brief time I had it, hence looking at buying back in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos