Notification light

Slim Makay

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Seriously there are two features that I miss Having a BlackBerry for, 1.) the cheap unlimited BIS subscription and 2.) the notification light... 😊

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
IPhone has the option to use flash as a notification light for maps and texts and stuff. Microsoft always has to play me-too when it comes to apple so expect the windows key to blink come windows 8.1

VariableSpark

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I know you're probably being sarcastic, Jf, but that would be awesome! :excited:

I don't see why we can't have both Glance and a blinking notification light (I do miss it from my Galaxy Note 2).

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does Lumia 1520 have notification light , I mean when you have new msg or email, does it blink ?

Even the old 920 should be capable. If you connect the Nokia software and put the phone in test mode u r able to flash the windows start button independently... they need to add this part of the room

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Glance is awesome. You guys are holding your phone wrong.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

It's got nothing to do with the way we are holding the phone. If we are holding the phone we don't need a notification light as glance will do. It is when your away from your phone that it would be handy. Yes you can leave glance on all the time but why not have both. The windows light already flashes if the phone is charging when powered off. Why not use that.

21stNow

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
About 88% smartphones don't have notification lights.

I'm not sure where you get your percentages from. Samsung smartphones from 2012 forward, the HTC One X, Nexus devices at least from the Galaxy Nexus forward and the BlackBerry Z10 all have notification lights. I'm sure that the Samsung smartphones alone make up more than 12% of smartphones. There are many more that have notification lights; I just named the ones that I have personal experience with.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The windows light already flashes if the phone is charging when powered off. Why not use that.

It does? Mine doesn't...

If they did want to add a notification light though, I think the Windows button would be the best one to use. The problem is that there is no light on the "edge" of the phone...only on the face or the flash on the back.

Santhosh L720

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It's got nothing to do with the way we are holding the phone. If we are holding the phone we don't need a notification light as glance will do. It is when your away from your phone that it would be handy. Yes you can leave glance on all the time but why not have both. The windows light already flashes if the phone is charging when powered off. Why not use that.
Thanks a lot Will.. U put out what exactly I think. And i would like to add some thing here, All phones other than WP, be it BB or anythng they use a special LED light as indicator. What fascinates me more in WP is that we have the coolest Windows icon which serves as Home button and also ''can be" made used as a notification led or that ever u call... Forget the glance.., Yes Black update has taken Glance into newer heights.., thats a known truth... See how cool a Wp phone can be of the Win icon is used as Notf'n LED.. :)

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

lol! Some people got the joke...

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

ragingklu

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't missed my notification LEDs from previous phones one bit. For me, Glance "always on" does the trick. You can see from pretty far away whether or not you've got a notification, and which one it is by position. The only gripe I have is with the limited number of app notifications you can map to the screen but I'm sure this feature will grow to accommodate more in some way.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh, wow, I went back to my M8 because of the notifications, but finding this "new" info for me is just off the hook. Wow, freaking, wow, this is so much more awesome than a blinking light. I am just amazed, every day I learn something new about my 1520. I just sent myself an email and wow this is so AWESOME! Thanks for this post, I would have never known about this feature. I love this site!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
All this talk about Notification light, should give an experienced DEV an idea - perhaps there's an app for that (@ .99 a pop)?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Seems that a lot of WP users will not be happy until the OS is as bloated as Blandroid!!!
Glance is the modern version of the 'notification LED'. The option to have this included and then have an option to turn it off if you don't want to use it... is not an option....
Come on people, learn to use the bloody phone properly... If MS did decide to include a notification LED, we would have a thousand threads on 'battery drain'.....
The mind boggles!!!!!!

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Seems that a lot of WP users will not be happy until the OS is as bloated as Blandroid!!!
Glance is the modern version of the 'notification LED'. The option to have this included and then have an option to turn it off if you don't want to use it... is not an option....
Come on people, learn to use the bloody phone properly... If MS did decide to include a notification LED, we would have a thousand threads on 'battery drain'.....
The mind boggles!!!!!!

So we have thousands of threads of the glance battery drain - what's the difference. Notification LED uses less power, and is great for us Lazy people. I would certainly appreciate looking over and seeing notifications via LED while my phone is on the table out of arms reach. That stuff is important for people, glance is great but when I can't reach my phone from over 6ft away w/ my phone flat on a table, it'll be nice to see for a notification. And actually Glance always on reduces my battery about 45 minutes - 1 hour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6