Please talk me into a Lumia over Apple

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1 - If (God forbid) I lose my iPhone with all those full resolution, non-watermarked photos, I'm not overly concerned with someone retrieving them. Not saying it's impossible but the majority of people that find the phone would probably not be able to retrieve any files from it. As compared with an Android or Windows phone with a MicroSD card in it. Pretty much anyone that finds one of those phones can pull the MicroSD card and retrieve any files from it. (Somewhat related, I see posts about the 16gb vs the 32gb 1520..... what's the difference if you're just going to cram a 64gb MicroSD in it anyways?)

The memory inside Windows Phones are currently secured pretty well, I'd say moreso than iOS because there is no currently publicly available jailbreak for current generation Lumias. (rumblings of a 920 one are around, but nothing on the 1520 etc. Potentially because less are interested in it. But its still secure whether by obscurity or plain ironclad-ness.
Windows Phone cannot currently move apps and some things to SD. Movies, music, pictures, maps can go there, but apps (like games, especially the big ones) and temporary files cannot. If you keep your photos onboard, you should be OK. (you can set a setting for that)

2 ? Security. Obviously concern ?1? is security related, but overall security is a big deal to me. In the world of personal and business computers, Apple has always been (or at least perceived to be) the more secure OS. Less vulnerabilities and attacks than a Windows platform. Is the same true in the smartphone world?

A large reason Macs have enjoyed the security is that they have a relatively small marketshare, regardless of how secure they are. Who would spend time and effort to make malware that would work on only 10~% of PCs when you can target ~90%?
Windows Phone is much more secure than say Android and desktop Windows, but its about tradeoffs.
Low level things you can access and play with on Android and Windows aren't available on Windows Phone. and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
(and who would target 3-20% of phones when Android is by far, the dominant player?)
Windows Phone is secure currently because more guns are aimed at Android and iOS, the current big kahuna of phones.
Also because its locked down, much more than desktop Windows and its Windows Mobile predecessor. Malware is unlikely to get very far in WP. The only thing that calls its security into question is its "Windows" moniker.

3 ? Apps. As I mentioned, I love my games. I have a friend that made the switch from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (at the time it was the flagship of any Android). After a week he went back to iPhone. He claimed that in many cases they had the same app but it was usually an older version than what he had on his iPhone. And that's in an Android market which has significantly more apps than W8 does. Are we seeing true development in apps in general in W8?
Ah, the big one. Yes, we are seeing true development growth as the platform grows. It still holds that iOS and/or Android see faster releases. (or exclusive releases)
but its worth noting not everything in the Windows store is available on others.
You may not get the next-big-game as soon as your friends yet on WP, but we're getting there... eventually.

Our game lineup is respectable, we have Jetpack Joyride, Asphalt 8 among others (check the store at windowsphone.com) but its not up to snuff with iOS per se.

4 ? Picture quality. One thing I noticed with the 8mp camera on my iPhone (which does take fantastic photos for a camera phone in my opinion) is that no matter what settings I use, the end result is still just a 72dpi photo. I'm just not sure what good it is having a 41mp or 20mp camera on a smartphone if at the end of the day I'm getting a low resolution 72dpi photo. Are any of you noticing this when transferring to a PC? I called Nokia support to pick their brain but they had me on hold for over 30 minutes and then said they'd get back to me although I'm not hopeful they will (which would make them on par with Apple and the horrible support they have).
Lumia's are known for good quality, but I can't say about DPI though. I have never really looked at that.

5 ? Continued support. Since MS has purchased the Nokia phone division, is there a future in owning a Lumia right now? Obviously in two years or so I'll probably end up with something else but I'd at least like to know that for the next two years I'm not on an abandoned platform.
Yes, there is a minimum software support window given and MS has given us no reason to abandon ship, UNLIKE A CERTAIN OEM THAT STARTS WITH H AND ENDS WITH P.
Nokia is becoming one with MS and they can't afford to leave current gen devices in the dust. They have assured us everyone will get 8.1 at the minimum. (Although it is very much up to carriers though if you go through normal channels.)

People like to point at the WP7 fiasco, but its more than just ditching those phones and laughing into the sunset. They have given their reasons, and they were still updated, arguably more than some Android phones. It really depends. MS has tried to assure us it won't really happen again, and if it does, it may very well be fatal and they know it.

I apologize if I rambled but this is a pretty big commitment. I'll be saddled with my decision for the next two years. Not necessarily, If you're really unhappy you could always resell the phone, take the SIM, and throw it into an iPhone.

my input in bold above

Braumin

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I just took a look at one of the high res pics off my Lumia 1020, and it's 72 dpi with a res of 7712x4352.

It does have RAW support though you could likely make your own jpg at whatever dpi you want in photoshop.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking into Lumia with the expectation of deriving the same apps, services, etc. as an iPhone, you're going to be in for a lot of disappointment. If you're a heavily invested iPhone user, then don't expect Lumia or Windows Phone to give you what you've accustomed to. This is not to say the OS or phone is useless, it's amazing, but it's a different world. I will guarantee you that with a L920/925/1020/1520 you'll get a great camera. You will also stand out from the crowd and probably end up with most of the big apps and services out there (especially news and music).

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it just yet, you will regret it. I just bought a Lumia 1520 yesterday night, at the time of this post I'm already considering returning it and getting any other 'non-windows' phone. Apps is the mayor issue, there are so many missing apps and the ones WP8 has have not been updated for a long time and lack lots of features when compared to iOS or Android. The camera performance on the 1520 is a big disappointment, even the 1 year old lumia 920 takes better pictures and video. Youtube experience is non existance, the current best homemade app has not been updated for months, the facebook app is been supported and was created by Microsoft and it SUCKS big time. There are no google apps whatsoever, your only have a choice as a browser and that's IE.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Don't do it just yet, you will regret it. I just bought a Lumia 1520 yesterday night, at the time of this post I'm already considering returning it and getting any other 'non-windows' phone. Apps is the mayor issue, there are so many missing apps and the ones WP8 has have not been updated for a long time and lack lots of features when compared to iOS or Android. The camera performance on the 1520 is a big disappointment, even the 1 year old lumia 920 takes better pictures and video. Youtube experience is non existance, the current best homemade app has not been updated for months, the facebook app is been supported and was created by Microsoft and it SUCKS big time. There are no google apps whatsoever, your only have a choice as a browser and that's IE.

The point of Windows Phone is social-centric, not app-centric.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm I had the 920 when I came to AT&T back in 2012. Used that phone for about 6 months, and decided even though I loved windows, there was the problem with apps. I have accumulated literately thousands of apps. So I went back to android. Well, after about 8 months of the Note 2 and then the HTC One X and then the HTC One, I decided that android OS can go to blazes. There was several things I missed in WP, like the ease of mingling my office with my toy. And the only Android app I would miss would be the clearcheckbook app. Well, they wrote one for WP... So my 32GB Nokia 1520 comes tomorrow. With androids the things I did on the WP in one step, took several. WP is still a baby next to iOS or Android, but it will grow. Will it ever pass the top 2? Maybe? Maybe not. Only time will tell, but for me, I am glad I am returning to Window Phone...

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Apps is the mayor issue, there are so many missing apps

This is true; but seriously come on. You cant go without flappy bird? I've done absolutely fine on Windows Phone with the lower app count (which is actually getting better by the day). I understand that people "want it all. want it all now", but with a 3rd place OS we arent going to GET it all without a user base and support. You cant eat your cake and have it to (Thats the correct ordering of the phrase btw :p).

the ones WP8 has have not been updated for a long time and lack lots of features when compared to iOS or Android.

Name these apps; because the most used ones usually have 3rd party offerings that match the features you say are missing

Youtube experience is non existance, the current best homemade app has not been updated for months,

Youtube experience is not non existant!

myTube | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Australia)

Who cares if hasnt been updated since December? What is actually missing from that app that makes you think it NEEDS updating? When an app was last updated has nothing to do with the quality of it. No point updating if it isnt required! That was a silly statement.

the facebook app is been supported and was created by Microsoft and it SUCKS big time.

are you kidding? The facebook app is actually really really good!

There are no google apps whatsoever

Not everyone uses google services (i dont).

your only have a choice as a browser and that's IE.

Not true. What about UC browser? If you are saying this because its essentially a frame for IE (a very good one!) then the same can be said for iphone on which i believe all browsers use Safari's rendering engine. (correct me if I'm wrong) So again the point is moot.

I just think your post was a little alarmist; provide the guy some solid information yes, but dont get all melodramatic on us, please! :winktongue:

ChimeraX73

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I won't go into the technicalities of your questions, as they have been answered quite well, however I will add that I owned the iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4S but grew very bored with the total lack of innovation on the software from those early days. While the hardware changed, and a new feature was added each year, it started to feel quite stale after 3 years. I gave Android a try afterwards, but made the mistake of buying a Samsung Note 2. The OS is OK, however I found that there were so many design inconsistencies with the apps that it brought so many irritations to my whole experience, I decided that it was quite immature compared to iOS. The Samsung hardware was very poorly manufactured too, and I had to get it repaired 3 times within 9 months.

Prior to the iPhones, I was a Windows Mobile user, and had owned many (many) devices, mainly HTC, and I really liked what Microsoft had done up until that point, but Windows Phone 7 was just too immature to consider back then, but by now WP8 was looking interesting, and I really liked the live tile interface as seen on Windows 8. I decided to give the Lumia 925 a try, and instantly loved it.

While WP doesn't get some of the big name apps straight away, more developers are at least porting apps, and there are equivalent apps for most things, so I haven't felt like I've been left out in the cold.

The camera on the 925 is very impressive compared to most phones, although obviously not as good as the 1020. But I was attracted to the slimness of this phone more than the additional camera capabilities of it's bigger brothers.

It's worth switching just for the experience of a really different device and all of the fun that comes from a new toy that feels truly unique compared to the rest of the icons on pages which slide left and right. I know several people who have given it a try, and they all loved it.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Windows, one positive thing about the move from iPhone to Windows Phone is getting rid of iTunes. I despise iTunes on Windows and being forced to use it. On Windows Phone you just drag and drop files on the phone. But you can also use the Windows Phone application if you still prefer synching.

To buy music, the XBox Music Store is very well. I don't really have mainstream tastes and yet I always found what I wanted on it (and they come in MP3 format directly).

The possibility of using an SD card on some Lumia models is also a plus. Arguably, it's also a downside considering the space isn't used for apps like on iPhones.

But the most important thing is the overall experience. I've used iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone 8 and WP8 is the best I've used: Live Tiles, general design, social integration, more and more apps, more and more webapps (like wpcentral.com is compatible with mobiles phones so you can use apps like Webapps that allows you to have live tiles coming from websites).

There are more positives and negatives IMO.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure about the security point. I'd like to see a direct comparison to support the assumption that iOS is more secure. The last iOS update had a huge security hiccup (Lockscreen hole) and anybody was able to get to somebody's info with a few taps. Sure they fixed it soon, but it shows that every OS is prone to security holes.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Youtube experience is not non existant!

myTube | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Australia)

Who cares if hasnt been updated since December? What is actually missing from that app that makes you think it NEEDS updating? When an app was last updated has nothing to do with the quality of it. No point updating if it isnt required! That was a silly statement.
Exactly! myTube and MetroTube are very very good Youtube apps. That and the mobile and/or desktop versions of the site works just fine.
are you kidding? The facebook app is actually really really good!
Agreed! And the way Facebook is built into the People Hub works flawlessly, once you understand how it works...

Not everyone uses google services (i dont).

The only Google service I use is Youtube, I have a bunch of videos on my channel.

I just think your post was a little alarmist; provide the guy some solid information yes, but dont get all melodramatic on us, please! :winktongue:

Agreed. I came from 4 generations of iPhones myself. Switched to Windows Phone 8 when the Nokia Lumia 920 came out, and have since upgraded to the 1020. I honestly haven't missed my iPhone one bit. If you're a photographer, the Lumia 1020 is for you! Take a look at the "pics/videos taken with your 1020" thread and see for yourself. The 1020 is THE most amazing camera you've ever used on a smartphone. No, it wont replace your DSLR in some situations, but it WILL in most! It really is that good...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and Words with Friends is absolutely available for WP8! I don't know who said it wasn't...

And chances are, if there's an app you're used to having on the iPhone and can't find it for WP8, there's more than likely a 3rd party app that works just as good if not better! Just look at Instagram... 6Tag is SO much better!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Security- WP is just as secure if not more secure than iOS, there are ways to developer and interop unlock a WP but its much harder to do and doesn't compromise security to the extent of jail breaking an iPhone would,

Apps- the app gap is narrowing more and more as the days go by. I can imagine it being almost non existent once WP8.1 comes out in the spring. All apps on WP also go through a rigorous certification process before they're placed on the store.

Camera- the camera in my 8X absolutely trounces the camera in my friends iPhone 5. The pictures I take are always brighter and richer in color in comparison to hers. They also tend to be in the wide aspect ratio compared to the fixed standard aspect ratio on the iPhone.

OS stability- there are no problems with stability on WP when compared to an Android device. However, lag does begin to occur once the other/temporary files folder grows too large. In update 3 which is rolling out now there is an option to clear out those temporary files, after that the phone is smooth and stable again.

All in all I think you will be pretty satisfied with WP especially if you go with the 1520.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The point of Windows Phone is social-centric, not app-centric.

Exactly.

Hello W8 Phone users!
...Believe it or not, this is one of the main concerns I have with switching platforms.

1 - If (God forbid) I lose my iPhone with all those full resolution, non-watermarked photos, I'm not overly concerned with someone retrieving them. Not saying it's impossible but the majority of people that find the phone would probably not be able to retrieve any files from it. As compared with an Android or Windows phone with a MicroSD card in it. Pretty much anyone that finds one of those phones can pull the MicroSD card and retrieve any files from it. (Somewhat related, I see posts about the 16gb vs the 32gb 1520..... what's the difference if you're just going to cram a 64gb MicroSD in it anyways?)...

? Data on the SD Card can be accessed via an sd card reader, so if you're worried about security, leave the pictures on your phone, and get a lumia with larger memory. 32gb at least. And note that not all lumias have SD support.. also, btw, the formats for SD are Fat32 and exFat. It may also accept NTFS, but idk.

2 ? Security. Obviously concern ?1? is security related, but overall security is a big deal to me. In the world of personal and business computers, Apple has always been (or at least perceived to be) the more secure OS. Less vulnerabilities and attacks than a Windows platform. Is the same true in the smartphone world?...

? Windows Phone, at the moment, is roughly the same as iOS in security. And to put it this way, I've heard of more attacks and malware for iOS than i have Windows Phone.

3 ? Apps. As I mentioned, I love my games. I have a friend that made the switch from iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (at the time it was the flagship of any Android). After a week he went back to iPhone. He claimed that in many cases they had the same app but it was usually an older version than what he had on his iPhone. And that's in an Android market which has significantly more apps than W8 does. Are we seeing true development in apps in general in W8?...

? Yes! We are getting official apps very rapidly. Furthermore, The Windows Phone platform thrives off third-party apps. Even when an official app is unavailable, there are often third party solutions (6tag, 6nap, 6sec, MyTube, etc...)! Just search the Windows Store online (Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) for apps and ask around here about alternatives.

4 ? Picture quality. One thing I noticed with the 8mp camera on my iPhone (which does take fantastic photos for a camera phone in my opinion) is that no matter what settings I use, the end result is still just a 72dpi photo. I'm just not sure what good it is having a 41mp or 20mp camera on a smartphone if at the end of the day I'm getting a low resolution 72dpi photo. Are any of you noticing this when transferring to a PC? I called Nokia support to pick their brain but they had me on hold for over 30 minutes and then said they'd get back to me although I'm not hopeful they will (which would make them on par with Apple and the horrible support they have)...

? The Nokia Camera application saves images in both a scaled down version for sharing and a high res version. It also supports RAW imaging. I havent personally used a 1020, so i cant tell you the DPI of the high res file, but this is what Nokia's site says:

Depending on the selected aspect ratio, full-resolution photos are either 34MP or 38MP. The camera has a high-resolution 41MP sensor, where the active area is 7712 x 5360 pixels. Depending on the aspect ratio you choose, your camera uses 7712 x 4352 pixels for 16:9 photos and videos, or 7136 x 5360 pixels for 4:3 photos and videos. In order to see the full-resolution photo, you need to view the photo in the Nokia Pro Camera. To open the photo in Nokia Pro Camera full-resolution view, tap the captured by Nokia Pro Cam link below the photo in the Photos hub.

5 ? Continued support. Since MS has purchased the Nokia phone division, is there a future in owning a Lumia right now? Obviously in two years or so I'll probably end up with something else but I'd at least like to know that for the next two years I'm not on an abandoned platform...

? Of course! Thats part of why MS bought Nokia, even. Them being the same entity means Microsoft can ramp up development and integrate features more rapidly without secrecy between the two and requiring delegation between two separate entities. In fact, the new CEO of Microsoft has already stated a big emphasis on mobile and cloud, so the chances of abandonment are slim to none

In all, Windows Phone is a refreshing platform, and can be considered a middle ground between Android and iOS, having more features than the later but more secure than the former. It's got unique apps and is very social-centric. It's [lumia] handsets are stylish, and come with ground breaking hardware and features.

The choice is up to you, of course. But i'd highly recommend getting a Lumia.

steve aras

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok so lets do the whole honesty gig. I typing this on my Lumia 920. I've owned since launch. My reply will be things to think about...not necessarily what your specifically looking for. So...I've bought 3 Windows Phones. A Samsung Focus(my son still uses it). NOKIA 900, 920 and my wife has a 1020. When I first got my 920, I almost brought it back because it thought it was to heavy and the gloss finish made it slippery. I did drop it once while walking. I mean right in the middle of a step. The it went, face down on pavement. And I even stepped right on it and slid a little way. It does have a few.scratches but overtime they're hardly noticeable. I don't think you can break my phone. Overtime I've.come to love this phone. I love its size and heft. I really love its curved back and balance. I can take it out of my pocket, and if I'm holding it upside down, I can spin it on my open palm and catch it in the correct orientation. My phone takes a nice photo, but my wife's 1020 takes a photo is nearly unbelievable. The cool thing about the 40meg is like this. Think of taking a photo from 6 ft away of several people. You could later, zoom and crop each person, like you were doing a 2 ft close up....and that zoomed in crop is still bigger than 8meg.

I'm not a huge gamer, but the ones I have are visually striking for a freakin...phone.

I live a die using twitter...which is indicative of apps in WP. Often its the 3d party apps that are the best.

My favorite features on this phone...Are the Nokia Here+ apps, the on screen keyboard is the best of any phone I've ever tried, WiFi is solid and NFC has Star Trek like capabilities.

I can't argue against any phone...but I can say...without hesitation...I love my phone. It is a technological marvel, with gorgeous curves.

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
If apps are a huge factor in your decision, I strongly suggest you not to consider a Lumia now though. However if you could, maybe you could try purchasing one of the low end Lumia phones and see if it suits your preference. That's what I did when transitioning from an Iphone 4 to Lumia Windows phone. I bought a Lumia 900 2 years ago to test it out. Ultimately, it is up to you. Never try, never know.

ThinkFast81

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
If you are really looking for the best cameras in smart phones , you should take Lumia phones with no doubt. My reasons to put Lumia WP mobiles over ios iPhone are many but I will give you some may you interested in:
1- the hardware built quality with gorilla glass and no need to buy a protection cover like the iPhone.

2- the size of the screen is bigger which means more space for you to watch and enjoy the colorful pictures, videos and games as well.
3- the battery life comparing Lumia 1520 to any iPhone , there is a big gap between them, if you are heavy user and needs your phone all the time just go with Lumia 1520.

Last but not least , you should try Lumia phones by yourself and judge, they are stylish and eye catching smartphones, however the iPhone has the same boring design with some different features. Anyway , my advice to you is to give Windows phone a try especially Lumia 1520 or 1020 , and good luck :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786