02-20-2014 12:01 PM
149 ... 456
tools
    1020 ordered!
    Will have it next week.
    So the contacts are probably stored on the SIM card. Should I be.doing any special exporting of my iPhone contacts to more easily import them to the Lumia when it arrives?

And yes, I will give a month or so and then let you all know how it went :)

Thanks for everything!
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-08-2014 03:49 PM
    If they're not on the SIM, you could sync them to Outlook.com or Google.

Also make sure iMessage has been disabled so as not to intercept texts from your iOS toting friends and cause you to never receive them.
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-08-2014 04:44 PM
    1020 ordered!
    Will have it next week.
    So the contacts are probably stored on the SIM card. Should I be.doing any special exporting of my iPhone contacts to more easily import them to the Lumia when it arrives?
    When you get your 1020 go to the store on the phone, select Nokia Collection, and scroll down to and install Transfer my Data. It will connect to your iPhone via Bluetooth and transfer your contacts. That is the simplest way I know of. Be sure you have a Microsoft Account created prior so the contacts will automatically get uploaded to your online People hub.

Also agree with the iMessage being disabled. I missed some text messages from an iPhone user because their iPhone thought I was still on iMessage even though my phone had been off for months. In fact, I'd turn it off now so that all of your iPhone using friends' phones will "learn" to not attempt iMessaging your phone.
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-08-2014 04:55 PM
    Extremely valuable advice regarding iMessenger.
    I still have my iPhone (1020 arrives in a few days) and I disabled iMessenger. Sure enough after testing it out with friends, they could receive my texts but not reply.
    I called Applecare and they were very helpful in removing my number from iMessenger entirely.
    That was yesterday. Working good today.

Thanks again for that tip.

Anything else I should do for the transition?
    02-09-2014 10:15 PM
    <snip>Anything else I should do for the transition?
    I believe you will be good with the platform as iOS is "similar" to Windows Phone 8 than Android is. I have all three, i.e., Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7/8 and I still believe Windows Phone 8 could have been the perfect phone OS.
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-09-2014 11:54 PM
    Anything else I should do for the transition?
    Be sure to try different swipe gestures with everything and you will soon discover many things. Above all, use WP8 long enough to start to understand it and appreciate its elegance. It can be frustrating to learn a new system when you know what you want to accomplish and don't know quite how to go about it. Hang in there and you will start to get it. I like the integration between my desktop, tablet, and phone with the Windows ecosystem.
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-10-2014 01:33 AM
    Good advice, and nice to read plausibly fair advice from an Apple user.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-13-2014 05:22 PM
    @paulxxwall looks like wp8.1 will allow apps to be stored and run from an SD card 😊

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-13-2014 05:28 PM
    I'm still on my Symbian 808, but the rumored 8.1 changes may bring me to WP this year if they turn out to be true.
    GPendolino likes this.
    02-13-2014 05:38 PM
    The things I miss most from iOS are Airplay and Airprint. What I don't miss is that tiny little screen.
    02-14-2014 11:38 AM
    My 2 cents: by all means, get a WP8 device, but don't buy the 1520. It could be such a great device, but QC is abysmal and it's almost impossible to find a trouble-free 1520. They all have something wrong with them (speaker popping, swipe/tap issue, various screen problems, bad quality videos in sub-optimal light etc. Etc.). I'm on my third now and I'll be returning it tomorrow. Don't know what else to get but it's not going to be a Nokia.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk
    02-14-2014 11:46 AM
    Just going to troll in here and say it,,, I love my Note 3....
    02-14-2014 05:41 PM
    There is no Lumia that is appealing to me right now, so I accepted my network's free iPhone 5S.

I am still waiting for Microsoft to make a bad *** phone.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk
    02-14-2014 08:25 PM
    There is no Lumia that is appealing to me right now, so I accepted my network's free iPhone 5S.

I am still waiting for Microsoft to make a bad *** phone.

There is no iPhone that is appealing to me right now, so I accepted my network's free Lumia 1520

I am still waiting for Apple to make a bad *** phone.

Funny how those words can be turned around to read the other way. I have had a company iPhone for a while, first the 4 then the 4s. Not impressed by such dinky phones. I like my phones to look as good as it works. The iPhone works well, but looks boring and screen too small.
    Last edited by oditius; 02-18-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    GizmoEV likes this.
    02-14-2014 10:19 PM
    And there is no problem with preference. The problem is when people get annoyed with other people's preferences.

Guytronic and oditius like this.
    02-15-2014 12:07 AM
    Apple is a great company, iphone is great. But If you want to jump ship to Lumia 1520, you can enjoy:

- Bigger screen
    - Preeminent camera
    - Live & practical tile instead of boring icon from IOS
    - Intuitive OS design (it's personal but I do prefer WP over IOS)
    - Rich video recording
    - Better Integration with PC or other MSFT product like Xbox
    - Nokia excellent software (I used Nokia Mixradio everyday, it's freaking awesome)

I admit WP may be still premature, but i just find it is interested to dig. Particularly WP8.1 leaks tell us a lot of surprises are coming. I can be patient :-)
    02-15-2014 12:14 AM
    And there is no problem with preference. The problem is when people get annoyed with other people's preferences.

That is a two way street, imagine if I would have went on a iPhone forum and posted the counter quote like that. I would have been torn to shreds, been there done that. iPhonemaniacs can get like that. I have had Blackberries, iPhones, Androids, Window Mobile and Windows Phone. I would like iPhone the best if it 1) Came with a real 5" screen (not that widescreen one lol) 2) Allowed me to put wallpaper behind those icons. Androids are cool toys to play with, only heaven knows how many of those I had. Rooted, and custom rom were fun to install. I loved WM, changed roms faster than Android, and was able to restore my apps and games in a heck of a lot less time than a android flash. Windows Phone I like, because it just takes less steps to do what I need it to do than the android counterpart. The iPhone is like the WP in that it is very easy to do things on a everyday basis. But like I said, it needs a bigger screen for me to be interested in it enough to want one.
    02-15-2014 05:36 AM
    Let's face it...people flocked to non iPhone devices primarily because apple stuck with the small screen size. Once that changes lots of people who ditched the iPhone will be back in droves. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Big is in as far as screen size and once the iPhone offers it, a majority of those ex iPhone users will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eortizr likes this.
    02-15-2014 06:35 AM
    Just going to troll in here and say it,,, I love my Note 3....

I actually had a Note 3 for almost a month while waiting for Nokia to fix my 1520. I liked it, too - but it still had some of that Samsung Touchwiz lag that I'm just not willing to put up with. Also, the color started peeling off the silver edged after a couple of weeks. Very cheap choice of materials.

I'm hoping Samsung or Apple will release a bad-a** big screen phone this spring so I can sell my buggy 1520. I'll certainly give WP8 another chance some day but not releasing 8.1 until fall will seriously put them in danger of losing much of the newly gained market share.

02-15-2014 06:56 AM
    Let's face it...people flocked to non iPhone devices primarily because apple stuck with the small screen size. Once that changes lots of people who ditched the iPhone will be back in droves. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Big is in as far as screen size and once the iPhone offers it, a majority of those ex iPhone users will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - I certainly will be back on iOS if they release a 5+" phone. However, I believe they'll pull off another one of those half-a***d stunts and go with a 4.7" screen for the next two years - and that'll be too small again for most people who've switched for the screen size.

sd173 likes this.
    02-15-2014 07:00 AM
    The things I miss most from iOS are Airplay and Airprint. What I don't miss is that tiny little screen.
    Well we have PlayTo for Airplay and several printing apps depending on the make of your printer.
    02-18-2014 12:51 PM
    I actually had a Note 3 for almost a month while waiting for Nokia to fix my 1520. I liked it, too - but it still had some of that Samsung Touchwiz lag that I'm just not willing to put up with. Also, the color started peeling off the silver edged after a couple of weeks. Very cheap choice of materials.

I'm hoping Samsung or Apple will release a bad-a** big screen phone this spring so I can sell my buggy 1520. I'll certainly give WP8 another chance some day but not releasing 8.1 until fall will seriously put them in danger of losing much of the newly gained market share.

I agree with your comment about Samsung's choice of materials, but that will depend on how much do you baby your device, if you are use to just trow your device on your desk or table, seat on it while you have it on your back pocket and what not,, then it is going to show on the device. (not my case in particular, I have never drop a smartphone since I got the motorola backflip, lol). In terms of the Touchwiz Lag, yes, stock Touchwiz will always have some lag, though on the Note 3 is not much noticeable like it was on the S3, but I'm running a custom KitKat Rom, so no lag for me what so ever.

I love Nokia's design and hardware, that's the only reason I always come back to WP8 with every new Nokia phone, just to give it chance, but I always find my self going back to Android, WP8 is just not ready for my type of user. Probably next year WP8 will be able to really compete with iOS and Android. (been third out of 3 it means you are the last one).
    02-18-2014 06:59 PM
    I agree with your comment about Samsung's choice of materials, but that will depend on how much do you baby your device, if you are use to just trow your device on your desk or table, seat on it while you have it on your back pocket and what not,, then it is going to show on the device. (not my case in particular, I have never drop a smartphone since I got the motorola backflip, lol). In terms of the Touchwiz Lag, yes, stock Touchwiz will always have some lag, though on the Note 3 is not much noticeable like it was on the S3, but I'm running a custom KitKat Rom, so no lag for me what so ever.

I love Nokia's design and hardware, that's the only reason I always come back to WP8 with every new Nokia phone, just to give it chance, but I always find my self going back to Android, WP8 is just not ready for my type of user. Probably next year WP8 will be able to really compete with iOS and Android. (been third out of 3 it means you are the last one).
    I agree with almost all of that except for the custom ROM solution as that will positively void your warranty due to knox.
    02-20-2014 12:10 AM
    I agree with almost all of that except for the custom ROM solution as that will positively void your warranty due to knox.
    It does not. The method used to install the custom ROM does not 'trip' the Knox count. :-)
    02-20-2014 12:01 PM
149 ... 456