Please talk me into a Lumia over Apple

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Almost a bit leery getting a new phone that was new as of 7/2013, but that's why I can get it for $49 lol.

I would LOVE the 1520 and $200 is a great price (2 year contract).
It's just too big.

If there happens to be an 1820 released in April and it is that sweet spot where the screen is between the 1020 and 1520 and they bring back a 41mph camera along with expandable memory, I'll just use one of the upgrades of two of the lines on my account that are eligible (you guessed it) in April.
1020's going to be my phone for now.
Keeping my iPhone 4s in the sock drawer in case I go through serious app withdrawal but I'm determined to dump Apple completely.

Btw, speckled out the 1020, 4s and 5s here:

Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Apple iPhone 4s vs Apple iPhone 5s - Phone specs comparison

I feel good about the 1020's superior hardware specs and will most likely order this weekend.

The Lumia 1020 is a great phone. I've yet to see it perform any worse than my 1520. I think you will enjoy the switch.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought a brand new 1520 3 days ago, it last me less than 24 hrs,, I could not stand the lack of apps, yes there are some 3rd party apps for some of the missing ones, but theres nothing like an official app, Facebook for example or Youtube, there is no WatchESPN or NBA Gametime so if you like to stream sports in your phone you are doom in WP8, or if you like to watch CBS series, then again CBS.com is not available in WP8 nor is Direct TV or Dish or Time Warner Cable. Then again if you are on gaming,,, be prepared to wait a minimum of month or more after a game is released in iOS or Android and still it will not be as good. I returned the 1520 and got a Galaxy Note 3,, could not be happier...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought a brand new 1520 3 days ago, it last me less than 24 hrs,, ..

Sounds like a person who didn't do any research. But that why there is a 14 day exchange. The Note 3 is a great handset, I have had the Note 2. I think Androids are a real good OS, but can be flaky at times. But then again, they all can be. As far as apps, come back in several years when Window Phones have been in the market as long as Android and iOS is now, You might be surprised at the app and the quality. I prefer a Windows OS, and understand that you need a Android/iOS system. I had my fill of Androids and Apple. Will I miss them? Nope, not at all, for what I use a smartphone for, the 1520 will serve me nicely and smoothly. But that is my preference. Good luck with the Note 3...

trinkner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Pendino --

Please let us know what you think of the 1020 after you've had it for a while. As a Nokia 808 user who is considering moving to WP, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts, especially regarding the camera quality, app experience, and the transition away from an icon-based OS. If you do go to the 1020, be sure to get or wait for the Black update from Nokia and the Update 3 from Microsoft, so you can report on the latest WP experience.

Thanks

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
1020 ordered!
Will have it next week.
So the contacts are probably stored on the SIM card. Should I be.doing any special exporting of my iPhone contacts to more easily import them to the Lumia when it arrives?

And yes, I will give a month or so and then let you all know how it went :)

Thanks for everything!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If they're not on the SIM, you could sync them to Outlook.com or Google.

Also make sure iMessage has been disabled so as not to intercept texts from your iOS toting friends and cause you to never receive them.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
1020 ordered!
Will have it next week.
So the contacts are probably stored on the SIM card. Should I be.doing any special exporting of my iPhone contacts to more easily import them to the Lumia when it arrives?
When you get your 1020 go to the store on the phone, select Nokia Collection, and scroll down to and install Transfer my Data. It will connect to your iPhone via Bluetooth and transfer your contacts. That is the simplest way I know of. Be sure you have a Microsoft Account created prior so the contacts will automatically get uploaded to your online People hub.

Also agree with the iMessage being disabled. I missed some text messages from an iPhone user because their iPhone thought I was still on iMessage even though my phone had been off for months. In fact, I'd turn it off now so that all of your iPhone using friends' phones will "learn" to not attempt iMessaging your phone.

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Extremely valuable advice regarding iMessenger.
I still have my iPhone (1020 arrives in a few days) and I disabled iMessenger. Sure enough after testing it out with friends, they could receive my texts but not reply.
I called Applecare and they were very helpful in removing my number from iMessenger entirely.
That was yesterday. Working good today.

Thanks again for that tip.

Anything else I should do for the transition?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
<snip>Anything else I should do for the transition?

I believe you will be good with the platform as iOS is "similar" to Windows Phone 8 than Android is. I have all three, i.e., Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7/8 and I still believe Windows Phone 8 could have been the perfect phone OS.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Anything else I should do for the transition?
Be sure to try different swipe gestures with everything and you will soon discover many things. Above all, use WP8 long enough to start to understand it and appreciate its elegance. It can be frustrating to learn a new system when you know what you want to accomplish and don't know quite how to go about it. Hang in there and you will start to get it. I like the integration between my desktop, tablet, and phone with the Windows ecosystem.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents: by all means, get a WP8 device, but don't buy the 1520. It could be such a great device, but QC is abysmal and it's almost impossible to find a trouble-free 1520. They all have something wrong with them (speaker popping, swipe/tap issue, various screen problems, bad quality videos in sub-optimal light etc. Etc.). I'm on my third now and I'll be returning it tomorrow. Don't know what else to get but it's not going to be a Nokia.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro2_936 using Tapatalk

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There is no Lumia that is appealing to me right now, so I accepted my network's free iPhone 5S.

I am still waiting for Microsoft to make a bad *** phone.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There is no Lumia that is appealing to me right now, so I accepted my network's free iPhone 5S.

I am still waiting for Microsoft to make a bad *** phone.

There is no iPhone that is appealing to me right now, so I accepted my network's free Lumia 1520

I am still waiting for Apple to make a bad *** phone.

Funny how those words can be turned around to read the other way. I have had a company iPhone for a while, first the 4 then the 4s. Not impressed by such dinky phones. I like my phones to look as good as it works. The iPhone works well, but looks boring and screen too small.

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
And there is no problem with preference. The problem is when people get annoyed with other people's preferences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99