07-15-2015 11:32 AM
46 12
tools
    Reading comprehension my friend. There is nothing in the PMA standard that requires a case. If you know different post your evidence.
    You said that you didn't need a case to charge by PMA but then you said in another post that you don't know of any phones that have PMA built into the phone. I never said it couldn't be built into phones.

Do you read your own posts? You say it doesn't need a case but can't think of a phone that doesn't need a case and you talk about reading comprehension.
    06-13-2014 05:13 AM
    Its been reported that a company is developing a charger that will incorporate Qi and PMA in one device so that will take of the issue in the future!
    06-13-2014 09:58 AM
    Numbers are irrelevant to those that have none to justify their point. You sound like a blackberry fan.
    Phoney numbers are irrelevant. Give us real FULLY ENABLED numbers. Your method would be like me saying 100% of Windows Phone phablets in the US use PMA. All the most premium Windows Phones in the US use PMA. Now of course I don't do that because that is asinine. And as I pointed out Samsung has started making PMA backs for their phones. I am asking you for a second time does that mean now there is a 100 million PMA cell phone population now based on your metrics... or do those metrics only work when they support your position. Still waiting for an answer.

I love your rationalization of a standard with no install base, little to no accessories for it, no advertisement for it, and to top it off, it is a closed system that will cost consumers more money for the privilege of wireless charging.
    I see you aren't reading my posts. I already showed you how to get a premium PMA dual phone charger with a travel battery accesory for $18.75. Not sure how the consumer is spending more money. Yes it is still more than Qi chargers but that is because Qi is being shut down at the country's largest cell phone company. You can pick up Qi cheaper because there is a fire sale. Actually the fire sale is pretty much over. My last order of Qi chargers still hasn't been filled. Your argument is like saying the HP Touchpad is going to take over the world because there is a fire sale.

The second point is PMA is currently being installed coast to coast on multiple continents.

The third point is advertisement... I don't know what to tell you about that. 99.9% of people haven't seen wireless charging of any sort. And now millions of people are about to see PMA in their neighborhood coffee shop. Starbucks is one of the worlds greatest marketers and they are installing PMA coast to coast.

LOL. PMA is smart in that it I used for advertising and pulling demographic information. BUT, only if you use the businesses system. And glad to hear that is what you want.
    Again you are arguing with emotion, insults, and strawmen. What I want is irrelevant. I am just stating facts. For the majority of people in the US their first encounter with wireless charging will be in a Starbucks or similar establishment and it will be PMA. I posted an article from the internet explaining to you why PMA is more desirable for businesses. That doesn't mean I like it or want it. It just is what it is. See that is how you run a business. You take the emotion out of it and just analyze the FACTS. Personally my life would be a lot easier if my 1520 came with Qi built in. But I understand why at&t is standardizing on PMA.

And I like how five minutes ago you didn't know about PMA's smart features and now you are an expert. Neither you or I know the full potential of PMA. Please stop posting what you HOPE are it's limitations. All this stuff you are posting is spin and phoney numbers. I am posting quotes and links to articles.

Oh my god! Starbucks has joined the PMA! Game over. PMA has won.

You know how many times I have seen someone use one of those piwermats built into the tables to charge their phone? Zero. In fact, most of them have been disconnected cause no one cares.
    Again it is interesting how you couldn't even intelligently tell me about Starbuck's PMA roll out five minutes ago and now you are an expert. You will have to excuse us if we are incredulous. I mean yeah Starbucks purposefully did a trial run. And after the trial run which you said failed miserably they are set to roll it out coast to coast. Okay. Sure.

But I usually don't buy crap from ATT. I use them for service not to buy products. I use this small company you may have heard of called Amazon. Pretty sure more people shop there than ATT. But glad to hear you still overpaid for a $1 item from ATT.
    Let's rationally discuss PMA vs Qi and lay off the rants and insults. I know you are upset but some day you are going to have to accept that Qi may not win the standards wars.

Actually PMA and A4WP have formed an alliance and pledged to become interoperable. See PMA and A4WP can do everything Qi can do. But Qi can't do what PMA and A4WP can do and now PMA and A4WP are joining up. Which leads me to this...

Oh yeah, and I would def peg you as a Betamax owner. #sarcasticpostover
    I really hate people on the internet who always throw out the word "Betamax" but know nothing about marketing... or indeed the true history of Betamax. There really is no analogy between the wireless charging standard wars and the VHS/Betamax war. See VHS and Betamax both innately had things the other didn't. As I pointed out Qi has nothing that PMA and A4WP don't have. People say VHS was "inferior" to Betamax. Well it was inferior in certain aspects but it was far superior in the ways that mattered. First of all VHS tapes could record longer. To price sensitive consumers that didn't have a clue how to shoot a movie efficiently that was a huge plus. Also the Betamax recorders were way more expensive. And I don't mean the negligible difference between PMA and Qi chargers. I mean rearrange the household budget expensive. And then of course there is the fact a lot more pron was available on VHS. How much pron is available on Qi?

I will grant you one thing. The Betamax analogy is relevant in one important aspect. Betamax was the first format to get to 100% market domination... kind of sounds like your Qi made up numbers doesn't it? So how did being first work out for Betamax? You my friend have just scored one of the most epic own goals in internet debate history.

Neither you nor I know where this is going to shake out but people constantly saying Qi DOMINATES this tiny nascent market is getting a bit ridiculous. If PMA doubled Qi sales next year I still wouldn't know anyone who has either format fully enabled and actively using it. Betamax was dominating a heck of a lot more than Qi is now and look how that ended. By the way thanks for bringing betamax up. That was the final nail in the coffin for you argument. You can keep arguing but now it's recorded on the internet for all to see. Betamax.... can't believe someone arguing the point you are making went there. I am really slipping. I should have brought up Betamax. Touch ! Well played sir.
    06-13-2014 02:11 PM
    There is nothing in the PMA standards that requires a case.
    You do realize that in post 16 you contradict yourself.
    Reading comprehension my friend. There is nothing in the PMA standard that requires a case. If you know different post your evidence.
    You said that you didn't need a case to charge by PMA but...
    Please actually read my quotes. I said there is nothing in the PMA standard that requires a case. If you know different post your evidence. I am not sure how I can make that any clearer.

The ASUS PadFone X has PMA built in. Can you please stop arguing unless you have evidence that contradicts my statement.

It's just a wireless charging standard guys. Why are you guys so obstinate about this?! Really on a certain level who cares? I bought PMA and Qi charging pads and a PMA charging case. I am sitting here deciding which to keep. I really don't care. Honestly I would go with PMA if the PMA case provided more protection. That's really what my decision is hinging upon. Frankly I would be in even worse shape if I had a Qi compatible 1020 because I don't like that case either. At least with the 1520 there is a hack that shows me how to do internal Qi. For me it is all about the case and protection. I accept I am an early adopter and the landscape could be totally different in two+ years when I get a new phone. So be it. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.
    06-13-2014 02:23 PM
    Well I both have a l925 with cc30 Nokia qi case $20 and a qi chip to $5 in my S3... And the l925 case sometimes needs to be taken off to clean the three connectors on the case and phone to work :(
    No need for this on the s3.

So big plus work in built qi :)

Pma vs qi , I guess there will more dual chargers since there is not many (I have never seen one in Denmark where I live) pma devices. Actually I had never heard of pma before this thread...
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_sweden_243 using Tapatalk
    06-13-2014 02:29 PM
    Well I both have a l925 with cc30 Nokia qi case $20 and a qi chip to $5 in my S3... And the l925 case sometimes needs to be taken off to clean the three connectors on the case and phone to work :(
    No need for this on the s3.

So big plus work in built qi :)
    Built in is the way to go. There are really two problems with the at&t PMA rollout. The first is they burned everyone who had Qi accessories. But as I've stated over and over again that install base as a portion of the whole US cell phone market was tiny. It was like those of use who couldn't upgrade WP7 devices to WP8. The second major problem is they released a flagship phone without built in PMA. People like me couldn't care less between Qi and PMA. But no built in is just irritating. You bring up another good point. Taking cases off and putting them back on is not ideal especially if it is a robust case. There is a thread on this forum about someone cracking their 1520 screen putting a case on!

Pma vs qi , I guess there will more dual chargers since there is not many (I have never seen one in Denmark where I live) pma devices.
    There are no dual chargers at the moment that I know of. Broadcom has developed a chip that works with either PMA or Qi. But actual devices have not been produced. And I don't know if it is a chip in the phone or the charger. So it may be a case of you get a phone with the chip and it can be used on both. Not necessarily a charger that charges both. Not sure if what I said is clear.

Actually I had never heard of pma before this thread...
    Most people in the US haven't heard of either. Well PMA just got a bunch of press from the Starbucks roll out announcement. Both are pretty niche here in the US. Which is why I'm baffled about all the unequivocal comments regarding domination. The market in the US is wide open.

The chip enables automatic selection between the specifications from the three standards groups, and Broadcom wants to use the chip to drive the A4WP's Rezence resonance wireless charging specification into the mainstream.

The chip is not yet available to most manufacturers, but Broadcom is currently sampling it with select customers. How do you feel about Broadcom's attempt to unify wireless charging? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.
    Lol. The funny thing is they are actually introducing the chip to push a THIRD standard.

http://www.windowscentral.com/broadc...ging-standards
    06-13-2014 02:46 PM
    Thanks to Citizen X for helping me understand the situation with PMA vs Qi. Of course we want wireless charging ability to be built-in and if PMA catches on, new phones with PMA will certainly be far more common than Qi ever was and it will happen quickly beginning now.

As far as all of the whining because Qi will soon be a footnote to wireless charging history, that is just how things go sometimes. Will PMA be successful? That isn't guaranteed, both could end up in the technology graveyard but PMA has a fighting chance now.
    07-05-2015 09:03 AM
    The reason AT&T is pushing PMA is because it's part of the PMA alliance. Therefore it's in it's best interest to go for PMA. But most companies are pre-loading their phones with Qi. Now, as in the case with the Galaxy S6 and the Lumia 830, it supports both standards. PMA to make AT&T happy and Qi to make Nokia/Microsoft happy, since Nokia and now Microsoft, are part of the Qi Alliance. Plus, there are more Qi chargers available than PMA to my knowledge, but I could be wrong. Such as Starbucks supports PMA, Coffee Bean supports Qi. The battle will continue on for a good while. It's similar to the old HD-DVD/Blu-Ray battle of 10 years ago.
    07-08-2015 02:39 AM
    Everyone in this thread acts as if the only choices are PMA and Qi. While that may be true for now, remember that new tech on the horizon can quite easily make both obsolete very quickly, just as USB 1.0 is obsolete.

The thing is, the next big thing in wireless charging is already in the works. There is more than one method of the next big thing, so it will be a matter of Qi and PMA both going into obsolescence, while these two new un-named techs duke it out. Both can charge your device from up to 28 feet away. No mat, no wires, just have to be in close proximity within 28 feet. Mount a few of these around your home to cover the whole house, and suddenly your device charges while you're at home. Mount one in your office at work, and your devices charges while your in your office.

It's not there yet, but there are some reports that expect it on the market starting within the next year.

In theory, it just takes a firmware update to your Wi-Fi router, and it will deliver the power to your device by using your router. That means you don't have to buy a new charger, you just have to update the ones you have. That means you'll be able to power your device from virtually anywhere that has had the firmware update. No new hardware needed for the router, just need the hardware on the device.

See Wi-Fi That Charges Your Gadgets is Closer than you think.

The big downside here is that the FCC in the US is imposing restrictions on power transmissions that they have not yet loosened. If they loosen those restrictions, you could power a lot of stuff. For now, legally speaking there is a 1W limitation, which means a trickle charge. That could change. The tech is already ready for the big stuff, just getting the FCC to comply is the biggest hurdle I believe. Still, a trickle charge throughout the day from your router while you work would keep the phone charged, or at the very least keep it from running down as fast and give you better battery life. Would love to see this.

If they will remove the 1 watt limitation and allow this tech to flourish, then you guys can keep the PMA and Qi, I'll take the Wi-Fi charging. Come home at the end of the day and put my phone anywhere I want, and it is charging. Yeah, I like that idea even better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this will ever even be a thing. Just that we never know what's coming around the corner with tech.
    Last edited by rhapdog; 07-08-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    07-08-2015 09:34 AM
    As said earlier, AT&T it's one of the members of the PMA, as such they have been pushing for all of their phones to be PMA enabled or built in. Considering that Starbucks is on the PMA board, as well as uses AT&T provided hotspots, it's no surprise that it would use PMA. With the announcement that PMA is merging with A4WP earlier this year, I expect the new standard to overtake Qi, due to availability of more flexible options (public areas to charge, 50W charging stations, cheaper parts for manufacturers). Given that most people I've encountered don't know what technology powers the wireless charging capabilities of their phones, I'm sure they will start to pay attention when public charging areas will only accept one standard, realizing their phone doesn't have it. Qi is nice, but it's not robust. Nor is there a high power standard for it. A4WP/PMA has a lot of interesting and wanted features that Qi lacks. Also I'd passed on WiFi charging. I have enough non-ionizing radiation in my home to add, yet another source of possible cancer to the list.
    07-09-2015 07:55 AM
    So what kind of batteries do they use in those Star Trek hand phasers? I'll bet one of those would power a phone for the rest of your life, considering the power output it has. No worries about charging.

They made a blooming Bluetooth Star Trek Communicator, why can't they make the battery for the phaser that will fit a Lumia?

Or if your s Star Gate fan, why not a few drops of liquid Naquida like what powers the staff weapons? Miniature ZPM even?

(Yes, I'm joking. I haven't gone completely senile, yet.)
    07-10-2015 06:57 AM
    I have the AT&T unlocked Lumia 1520 (RM-938) and it does charge without a case. I'm using the wireless charger from my AT&T unlocked 920
    07-11-2015 07:21 PM
    I have the AT&T unlocked Lumia 1520 (RM-938) and it does charge without a case. I'm using the wireless charger from my AT&T unlocked 920
    Humberto, the RM-938 is not AT&T...

Does your 1520 have 3 pins on the back like this?
    lumia_1520_green_pavement_back_cam.jpg

If it has the pins it should be an AT&T RM-940...

If it has the pins and says RM-938 inside "Settings > extras + info" then someone stuffed Factory Unlocked for Latin America internals into an AT&T case.

If it has the 3 pins and says RM-940 inside "Settings > extras + info" and charges without a case, someone did surgery on an AT&T 1520 to give it Qi.

If it has no pins and says RM-938 in "Settings > extras + info" then the phone has nothing to do with AT&T...
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-11-2015 08:17 PM
    So what kind of batteries do they use in those Star Trek hand phasers? I'll bet one of those would power a phone for the rest of your life, considering the power output it has. No worries about charging.

They made a blooming Bluetooth Star Trek Communicator, why can't they make the battery for the phaser that will fit a Lumia?

Or if your s Star Gate fan, why not a few drops of liquid Naquida like what powers the staff weapons? Miniature ZPM even?

(Yes, I'm joking. I haven't gone completely senile, yet.)
    My phone from the future is bigger on the inside and is powered by a collapsing black hole.
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-11-2015 11:09 PM
    My phone from the future is bigger on the inside and is powered by a collapsing black hole.
    Okay, so you've got a device designed and built by a Time Lord and powered by Romulan tech?

Might as well mix in some Star Wars tech with it. It also has a hologram hover above the phone of the person you're talking to.

Oh, wait, and throw in **** Tracy... you wear it as a watch on your wrist. ;)

Okay, now we're getting ridiculous.

Thanks, PepperDot. I needed the laugh this morning. :)
    07-13-2015 07:28 AM
    If I may ask in this topic, which is the best Nokia QI wireless charger Model that fits for the 1520 ? There are so many. DT-900, DT-901-, DT-903, DT-910 etc.

Does anyone have experience with those ?

Thanks in advance.

Wolfseye
    07-14-2015 09:59 AM
    Here some background.
    I do not have a 1520 but a 820, 925 and 930 and the dt-900, dt910, dt 601.
    The DT 901 is actual a DT 900 in a "bag".
    I would not recommend the dt 601 because it "too small" even for a 930 in my opinion.
    I like the dt 910 the most because it is also a stand.
    For charging "speed" there is no difference between the 900, 901 and 910 because they all have 750 mA input current and the dt 601 has 1700mA and the DT 903 has 2500 mA.
    So the fastest would be the 903 which is also the most "fancy" one with LED and NFC (910 also has NFC).
    But because QI charging is "easy" I do not think charging speed is that important because it's easy to put it on the charger.
    Price wise the 903 will be the most expensive.
    Wolfseye likes this.
    07-14-2015 10:55 AM
    DT-910. I need a stand. Flat does not cut it.
    Harrie-S and Wolfseye like this.
    07-14-2015 11:13 AM
    Used a dt-900 before but when the dt-903 came out with those soft glow light, I immediately changed to it. Using that without issues now.
    07-14-2015 12:16 PM
    The DT-910 is great. I might want to get a Fatboy for work if possible.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-15-2015 02:12 AM
    you are right! 1520 is not an AT&T phone, my 920 is! the 1520 that I have doesn't have the three pins in the back (RM-938_Ita_Ita_905)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-15-2015 11:32 AM
46 12