PMA vs QI Wireless Charging

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Point 1...
If that isn't the stupidest argument I have seen today, I dunno what is.
First of all, let me tell you that Starbucks is the only coffee shop (and the only big Company I know) that provides their customers with PMA charging.

That is a lie. Multiple retailers on multiple continents are rolling out PMA. The first introduction for most people to wireless phone charging will be at the ubiquitous PMA charging stations at the ubiquitous Star Bucks coffee shops? not asking their friend to go to their bedroom to borrow their Qi charger. What kind of weirdo does that anyway?

But you know what? Lets assume everyone in the world had access to Starbucks and their PMA hotspot.
The average phone takes about 3-3,5 hours to completely charge. It would be far more convenient to just charge with the cord at home than sit 3 hours in starbucks waiting for your phone to charge.

So everyone I see huddled around wall sockets in the airport is waiting around 3-3.5hrs to charge their phones from zero to 100%? That's a lot of missed flights just to charge a phone. Do you hear yourself?

And lastly, Qi is lest harsh on your pocket. You can easily get a Qi charger for $5-$10 and a good Qi powerbank for about $40. Whereas, PMA case alone costs almost $50 and that is without the charger.

That's a lie. I got a PMA case from at&t for $18.75. I also got a two phone charging plate with a wirelessly charged battery to take with me when I'm not at home for $18.75... also from at&t. The only reason you can get a quality Qi charger for less than $5 again from at&t is because they are getting rid of them.

When the initial propaganda about Qi being the end all be all first hit this forum I was totally open minded. I asked several times why Qi was superior to PMA. No one could tell me.

The second thing I encountered was everyone going on and on like Qi was the standard. Personally I?ve never met or seen anyone who uses wireless charging of any sort. People keep going on and on about how all these phones come with Qi. Well actually the vast majority of phones don?t come with any wireless charging built in. In fact the vast majority of Nokia?s don?t either. Some come with Qi ready to go out of the box but most of the current models require some kind of separate back to work. And let?s be frank Nokia phone sales are a pimple on the **** of the cellular market. And the subset that has Qi fully enabled are a small fraction of those.

Here?s a thought exercises for the open minded. Let?s say there is one phone that comes with Qi fully enabled. And let?s say there are zero phone that come with PMA fully enabled. So how many more Qi enabled phones are there than PMA enabled phones? 1/0 =Error. Basically there are infinitely more Qi enabled phones. Does that mean there are a lot in absolute terms? Ummm? no.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

The second thing I encountered was everyone going on and on like Qi was the standard. Personally I?ve never met or seen anyone who uses wireless charging of any sort. People keep going on and on about how all these phones come with Qi. Well actually the vast majority of phones don?t come with any wireless charging built in. In fact the vast majority of Nokia?s don?t either. Some come with Qi ready to go out of the box but most of the current models require some kind of separate back to work. And let?s be frank Nokia phone sales are a pimple on the **** of the cellular market. And the subset that has Qi fully enabled are a small fraction of those.

Let us see if this enlightens your view a little.

Every Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note 2/3 and soon 4 can add Qi wireless charging by either replacing the back battery cover and replacing it with the Qi one, or simply adding a paper thin wire coil pack that does the same thing and cheap at the cost of $10. Every Nexus 5/7 device comes with Qi built in. Nokia 92x, 1020 have it, but need cases. The Intl 1520 has it. The LG G2/3 have it built in. Add a Qi charger (which can be had on Amazon for $5-$10 bucks from any number of vendors) and you are set. In most cases, $20 is all you need to spend for Qi. With PMA, you can't even get a 'mandatory' case for that price. Speaking of which, have you seen the ugly *** cases for PMA? Well, what few options there are anyway. Your phone may be PMA compatible and you can go out and buy a powermat, but guess what? You're outta luck. No PMA case is available for your phone. Too bad. So sad.

Meanwhile, let me find a PMA charger. What's this? Seems Duracell (Proctor and Gamble subsidiary) has a patent on the base charging system for PMA, which means dictating costs to anyone that wants to make a powermat clone. Qi has no such limitations. Sorry, maybe you prefer getting f#@ked in the a@@, but I don't. And let's look at this statement from ATT: " AT&T has acknowledged the lack of compatible devices, and has said that charging cases will be released at additional cost at or soon after the launch date." And now we know why ATT took our option for Qi away.

Now, you may consider 100 million phones sold per quarter that are Qi compatible/built in a pimple on the a@@ end of the cellular market, but the PMA alternative equates to a tenth of that and will be run by Duracell, which in turn can dictate pricing to consumers trapped in PMA? Good luck with that. I'll stick with Qi. Personally I like having charging options. I have the Tylt Vu for home and work desks and the Lugalake 6000mah wireless charger for trips. And I have cheap Qi chargers as extras laying around for those that need one. Options are nice to have. This is something ATT and Verizon like to deny customers.

Last edited:

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Let us see if this enlightens your view a little.

Every Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note 2/3 and soon 4 can add Qi wireless...

Obviously you don't understand the concept of fully enabled. Let's see if I can clear this up for you. Look back on all my posts on this topic. At no point do I use the number of at&t 1520s sold to calculate any kind of PMA install base. Why? Because next to none of them will every get a PMA case and charging case. THE NUMBER IS IRRELEVANT.

Most Samsung Galaxy owners aren't even aware there is a wireless charging option. Why on earth are you trying to use those phony numbers to make your point? Use real FULLY ENABLED numbers.

Meanwhile, let me find a PMA charger. What's this? Seems Duracell (Proctor and Gamble subsidiary) has a patent on the base charging system for PMA, which means dictating costs to anyone that wants to make a powermat clone. Qi has no such limitations. Sorry, maybe you prefer getting f#@ked in the a@@, but I don't.

There is no "prefer." That's the problem. You are arguing with emotions and profanity and I am stating facts. If you can't find a dual phone charging PMA charging mat with a wireless charging extra battery for $18.75 that is your problem. I bought a couple of them right from at&t. If you are getting "f#@ked in the a@@" how is that at&t or Duracell's fault? They slashed the prices of the products you just had to go to att.com.

Now, you may consider 100 million phones sold per quarter that are Qi compatible/built in a pimple on the a@@ end of the cellular market, but...

Again stop with the strawmen and the fantasy numbers. The vast majority of that 100 million will never buy the part necessary to implement wireless charging so they are irrelevant to the discussion. Just like the majority of Nokia customers will not buy Qi charging backs for the 1020 or 925 or any of the other Qi compatible phones I just saw in the at&t store.

Anyway you too seem to have missed the main point. PMA is a "smart" charger. Qi is dumb. Businesses will gravitate towards PMA charging. A PMA charging station becomes so much more than just a place to "plug in" your phone. I mean a business can reach out and actually alter customer behavior in real time....

cnet.com said:
For Starbucks, the PMA standard is the most attractive one because it integrates user identification capabilities, so a shop can keep track of its customers based on where and how long their phones have been on a charging spot. If, for instance, the shop recognizes that a person has been sitting at a charging station for a while without making a purchase, it could theoretically send that phone a coupon.

Starbucks to hook up wireless charging stations in shops - CNET

If I was a business I know which option I would choose. Oh, and by the way...

Schreiber said that's beginning to change. He noted that the Asus PadFone X was the first smartphone with PMA technology embedded in the phone, likely at the request of AT&T, which has been pushing that standard as well. Sprint's recently announced Kyorcera Hydro Vibe also comes with PMA wireless charging as an option. Samsung now offers a replacement back cover that is PMA-compatible, although it has long offered a Qi cover as well.

So are you guys going to come back in a few months and start throwing figures around counting 100 million phones with PMA enabled now that Samsung has signed on to PMA and is making covers for their phones? Didn't think so.

You were an early adopter and the horse you bet on looks like it is going to be killed off. Get over it. I just bought my first Qi charger last week. I am probably going to hack my phone to work with Qi because I got a bunch of Qi chargers during the fire sale. They will work nicely for 2+ yrs and then everything with be PMA or whatever wins the war. No big deal. Wireless charging is not main stream. You went out picked a niche and got burned. That's part of the gamble.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've always wondered... In regards to wireless charging-enabled Lumias, like the AT&T 1520, the 925, and 1020, is the Qi/PMA in the phone or in the case? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I mean it. Say if Nokia decided to make a flip cover for the 1520 that also had the coils for wireless charging, could they in theoretically make one with Qi in it, or is what's inside of the actual phone half of the equation and it can only be one or the other (Qi or PMA)? I really never put too much thought into this before until I realized that the AT&T 925 was the Lumia that actually began the PMA transition, as the wireless backs AT&T sold were PMA. My sister has a T-Mobile 925 and still uses her old Qi pads, but going back to my other question, do the two carrier variants have different innards for the charging?

I personally bought the PMA case for my 1520 and haven't used my CP-623 flip cover much since. While I don't know the technical ins and outs and/or the benefits one standard may bring over the next, I've accepted that AT&T simply isn't going the Qi route now, and the fire sale of Qi pads helps to reaffirm that. This is kind of an extreme reasoning, but tech simply changes over time, and at some point your accessories for "this" won't work with "that." I bought my PMA case for $25, and while it doesn't have any protection for the front, a screen protector makes a good supplement, and the corners and back are pretty safe. Weight and thickness is of course subjective, but the phone feels more ergonomic in the hand with the PMA case and the weightiness of it is not unlike how many found the 920's heaviness to feel "right." You can also get a two-device PMA pad with AT&T for $25 without any discounts. And in case anyone was wondering, I've invested a bit in Qi before. Ended up with 3 charging pads total, back during the regular price days. Sure, they don't do me any good now, but now my mom 30 minutes away can use them with her 810. If AT&T changes their mind down the road, great, I'll take one back and use it again. If not, well, no hard feelings. Change happens, sometimes.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Obviously you don't understand the concept of fully enabled. Let's see if I can clear this up for you. Look back on all my posts on this topic. At no point do I use the number of at&t 1520s sold to calculate any kind of PMA install base. Why? Because next to none of them will every get a PMA case and charging case. THE NUMBER IS IRRELEVANT.
Numbers are irrelevant to those that have none to justify their point. You sound like a blackberry fan.
Most Samsung Galaxy owners aren't even aware there is a wireless charging option. Why on earth are you trying to use those phony numbers to make your point? Use real FULLY ENABLED numbers.
I love your rationalization of a standard with no install base, little to no accessories for it, no advertisement for it, and to top it off, it is a closed system that will cost consumers more money for the privilege of wireless charging. Here's a history lesson on the difference between closed and open alliances. Mac vs PC. Which system ended up with over 90% of the market?
BTW, I'd love to see the survey you conducted proving how 'most' Galaxy owners don't know about wireless charging. You do know that Samsung advertises Qi charging on all their Galaxy S phones? Samsung sells Qi chargers as well.

There is no "prefer." That's the problem. You are arguing with emotions and profanity and I am stating facts.
Facts? You haven't stated a single fact.

If you can't find a dual phone charging PMA charging mat with a wireless charging extra battery for $18.75 that is your problem. I bought a couple of them right from at&t. If you are getting "f#@ked in the a@@" how is that at&t or Duracell's fault? They slashed the prices of the products you just had to go to att.com.
oh, guess I missed the 'big' sale at ATT.com on a single PMA charger. I the $5 Qi charger deal. But I usually don't buy crap from ATT. I use them for service not to buy products. I use this small company you may have heard of called Amazon. Pretty sure more people shop there than ATT. But glad to hear you still overpaid for a $1 item from ATT.

Again stop with the strawmen and the fantasy numbers. The vast majority of that 100 million will never buy the part necessary to implement wireless charging so they are irrelevant to the discussion. Just like the majority of Nokia customers will not buy Qi charging backs for the 1020 or 925 or any of the other Qi compatible phones I just saw in the at&t store.
Is the sky blue in your world?
Anyway you too seem to have missed the main point. PMA is a "smart" charger. Qi is dumb. Businesses will gravitate towards PMA charging. A PMA charging station becomes so much more than just a place to "plug in" your phone. I mean a business can reach out and actually alter customer behavior in real time....
LOL. PMA is smart in that it I used for advertising and pulling demographic information. BUT, only if you use the businesses system. And glad to hear that is what you want. But here is the issue with your entire argument. People don't go to businesses to charge their phone. People don't NEED wireless charging stations on the go, especially since it is slower than corded charging. Your trying to justify PMA as a standard because a business wants it? Consumers are the ones that end up making the 'standard' not businesses, because the consumer is the one buying the product.

Starbucks to hook up wireless charging stations in shops - CNET

If I was a business I know which option I would choose. Oh, and by the way...
Oh my god! Starbucks has joined the PMA! Game over. PMA has won.

You know how many times I have seen someone use one of those piwermats built into the tables to charge their phone? Zero. In fact, most of them have been disconnected cause no one cares.

So are you guys going to come back in a few months and start throwing figures around counting 100 million phones with PMA enabled now that Samsung has signed on to PMA and is making covers for their phones? Didn't think so.

You were an early adopter and the horse you bet on looks like it is going to be killed off. Get over it. I just bought my first Qi charger last week. I am probably going to hack my phone to work with Qi because I got a bunch of Qi chargers during the fire sale. They will work nicely for 2+ yrs and then everything with be PMA or whatever wins the war. No big deal. Wireless charging is not main stream. You went out picked a niche and got burned. That's part of the gamble.

You might want to inform all those company that build Qi phones, Qi chargers, Qi inserts, and Qi covers that they need to stop making products because it is futile. I know you can convince them that pma is the best.

Oh yeah, and I would def peg you as a Betamax owner. #sarcasticpostover

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Reading comprehension my friend. There is nothing in the PMA standard that requires a case. If you know different post your evidence.

You said that you didn't need a case to charge by PMA but then you said in another post that you don't know of any phones that have PMA built into the phone. I never said it couldn't be built into phones.

Do you read your own posts? You say it doesn't need a case but can't think of a phone that doesn't need a case and you talk about reading comprehension. :amaze:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Its been reported that a company is developing a charger that will incorporate Qi and PMA in one device so that will take of the issue in the future!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Numbers are irrelevant to those that have none to justify their point. You sound like a blackberry fan.

Phoney numbers are irrelevant. Give us real FULLY ENABLED numbers. Your method would be like me saying 100% of Windows Phone phablets in the US use PMA. All the most premium Windows Phones in the US use PMA. Now of course I don't do that because that is asinine. And as I pointed out Samsung has started making PMA backs for their phones. I am asking you for a second time does that mean now there is a 100 million PMA cell phone population now based on your metrics... or do those metrics only work when they support your position. Still waiting for an answer.

I love your rationalization of a standard with no install base, little to no accessories for it, no advertisement for it, and to top it off, it is a closed system that will cost consumers more money for the privilege of wireless charging.

I see you aren't reading my posts. I already showed you how to get a premium PMA dual phone charger with a travel battery accesory for $18.75. Not sure how the consumer is spending more money. Yes it is still more than Qi chargers but that is because Qi is being shut down at the country's largest cell phone company. You can pick up Qi cheaper because there is a fire sale. Actually the fire sale is pretty much over. My last order of Qi chargers still hasn't been filled. Your argument is like saying the HP Touchpad is going to take over the world because there is a fire sale.

The second point is PMA is currently being installed coast to coast on multiple continents.

The third point is advertisement... I don't know what to tell you about that. 99.9% of people haven't seen wireless charging of any sort. And now millions of people are about to see PMA in their neighborhood coffee shop. Starbucks is one of the worlds greatest marketers and they are installing PMA coast to coast.

LOL. PMA is smart in that it I used for advertising and pulling demographic information. BUT, only if you use the businesses system. And glad to hear that is what you want.

Again you are arguing with emotion, insults, and strawmen. What I want is irrelevant. I am just stating facts. For the majority of people in the US their first encounter with wireless charging will be in a Starbucks or similar establishment and it will be PMA. I posted an article from the internet explaining to you why PMA is more desirable for businesses. That doesn't mean I like it or want it. It just is what it is. See that is how you run a business. You take the emotion out of it and just analyze the FACTS. Personally my life would be a lot easier if my 1520 came with Qi built in. But I understand why at&t is standardizing on PMA.

And I like how five minutes ago you didn't know about PMA's smart features and now you are an expert. Neither you or I know the full potential of PMA. Please stop posting what you HOPE are it's limitations. All this stuff you are posting is spin and phoney numbers. I am posting quotes and links to articles.

Oh my god! Starbucks has joined the PMA! Game over. PMA has won.

You know how many times I have seen someone use one of those piwermats built into the tables to charge their phone? Zero. In fact, most of them have been disconnected cause no one cares.

Again it is interesting how you couldn't even intelligently tell me about Starbuck's PMA roll out five minutes ago and now you are an expert. You will have to excuse us if we are incredulous. I mean yeah Starbucks purposefully did a trial run. And after the trial run which you said failed miserably they are set to roll it out coast to coast. Okay. Sure.

But I usually don't buy crap from ATT. I use them for service not to buy products. I use this small company you may have heard of called Amazon. Pretty sure more people shop there than ATT. But glad to hear you still overpaid for a $1 item from ATT.

Let's rationally discuss PMA vs Qi and lay off the rants and insults. I know you are upset but some day you are going to have to accept that Qi may not win the standards wars.

Actually PMA and A4WP have formed an alliance and pledged to become interoperable. See PMA and A4WP can do everything Qi can do. But Qi can't do what PMA and A4WP can do and now PMA and A4WP are joining up. Which leads me to this...

Oh yeah, and I would def peg you as a Betamax owner. #sarcasticpostover

I really hate people on the internet who always throw out the word "Betamax" but know nothing about marketing... or indeed the true history of Betamax. There really is no analogy between the wireless charging standard wars and the VHS/Betamax war. See VHS and Betamax both innately had things the other didn't. As I pointed out Qi has nothing that PMA and A4WP don't have. People say VHS was "inferior" to Betamax. Well it was inferior in certain aspects but it was far superior in the ways that mattered. First of all VHS tapes could record longer. To price sensitive consumers that didn't have a clue how to shoot a movie efficiently that was a huge plus. Also the Betamax recorders were way more expensive. And I don't mean the negligible difference between PMA and Qi chargers. I mean rearrange the household budget expensive. And then of course there is the fact a lot more pron was available on VHS. How much pron is available on Qi?

I will grant you one thing. The Betamax analogy is relevant in one important aspect. Betamax was the first format to get to 100% market domination... kind of sounds like your Qi made up numbers doesn't it? So how did being first work out for Betamax? You my friend have just scored one of the most epic own goals in internet debate history.

Neither you nor I know where this is going to shake out but people constantly saying Qi DOMINATES this tiny nascent market is getting a bit ridiculous. If PMA doubled Qi sales next year I still wouldn't know anyone who has either format fully enabled and actively using it. Betamax was dominating a heck of a lot more than Qi is now and look how that ended. By the way thanks for bringing betamax up. That was the final nail in the coffin for you argument. You can keep arguing but now it's recorded on the internet for all to see. Betamax.... can't believe someone arguing the point you are making went there. I am really slipping. I should have brought up Betamax. Touch? ! Well played sir.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing in the PMA standards that requires a case.
You do realize that in post 16 you contradict yourself.

Reading comprehension my friend. There is nothing in the PMA standard that requires a case. If you know different post your evidence.
You said that you didn't need a case to charge by PMA but...

Please actually read my quotes. I said there is nothing in the PMA standard that requires a case. If you know different post your evidence. I am not sure how I can make that any clearer.

The ASUS PadFone X has PMA built in. Can you please stop arguing unless you have evidence that contradicts my statement.

It's just a wireless charging standard guys. Why are you guys so obstinate about this?! Really on a certain level who cares? I bought PMA and Qi charging pads and a PMA charging case. I am sitting here deciding which to keep. I really don't care. Honestly I would go with PMA if the PMA case provided more protection. That's really what my decision is hinging upon. Frankly I would be in even worse shape if I had a Qi compatible 1020 because I don't like that case either. At least with the 1520 there is a hack that shows me how to do internal Qi. For me it is all about the case and protection. I accept I am an early adopter and the landscape could be totally different in two+ years when I get a new phone. So be it. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Well I both have a l925 with cc30 Nokia qi case $20 and a qi chip to $5 in my S3... And the l925 case sometimes needs to be taken off to clean the three connectors on the case and phone to work :(
No need for this on the s3.

So big plus work in built qi :)

Pma vs qi , I guess there will more dual chargers since there is not many (I have never seen one in Denmark where I live) pma devices. Actually I had never heard of pma before this thread...
Sent from my RM-892_eu_sweden_243 using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I both have a l925 with cc30 Nokia qi case $20 and a qi chip to $5 in my S3... And the l925 case sometimes needs to be taken off to clean the three connectors on the case and phone to work :(
No need for this on the s3.

So big plus work in built qi :)

Built in is the way to go. There are really two problems with the at&t PMA rollout. The first is they burned everyone who had Qi accessories. But as I've stated over and over again that install base as a portion of the whole US cell phone market was tiny. It was like those of use who couldn't upgrade WP7 devices to WP8. The second major problem is they released a flagship phone without built in PMA. People like me couldn't care less between Qi and PMA. But no built in is just irritating. You bring up another good point. Taking cases off and putting them back on is not ideal especially if it is a robust case. There is a thread on this forum about someone cracking their 1520 screen putting a case on!

Pma vs qi , I guess there will more dual chargers since there is not many (I have never seen one in Denmark where I live) pma devices.

There are no dual chargers at the moment that I know of. Broadcom has developed a chip that works with either PMA or Qi. But actual devices have not been produced. And I don't know if it is a chip in the phone or the charger. So it may be a case of you get a phone with the chip and it can be used on both. Not necessarily a charger that charges both. Not sure if what I said is clear.

Actually I had never heard of pma before this thread...

Most people in the US haven't heard of either. Well PMA just got a bunch of press from the Starbucks roll out announcement. Both are pretty niche here in the US. Which is why I'm baffled about all the unequivocal comments regarding domination. The market in the US is wide open.

wpcentral.com said:
The chip enables automatic selection between the specifications from the three standards groups, and Broadcom wants to use the chip to drive the A4WP's Rezence resonance wireless charging specification into the mainstream.

The chip is not yet available to most manufacturers, but Broadcom is currently sampling it with select customers. How do you feel about Broadcom's attempt to unify wireless charging? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.

Lol. The funny thing is they are actually introducing the chip to push a THIRD standard.

http://www.windowscentral.com/broadcom-announces-new-chip-multiple-wireless-charging-standards

Chris Gerhard

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to Citizen X for helping me understand the situation with PMA vs Qi. Of course we want wireless charging ability to be built-in and if PMA catches on, new phones with PMA will certainly be far more common than Qi ever was and it will happen quickly beginning now.

As far as all of the whining because Qi will soon be a footnote to wireless charging history, that is just how things go sometimes. Will PMA be successful? That isn't guaranteed, both could end up in the technology graveyard but PMA has a fighting chance now.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The reason AT&T is pushing PMA is because it's part of the PMA alliance. Therefore it's in it's best interest to go for PMA. But most companies are pre-loading their phones with Qi. Now, as in the case with the Galaxy S6 and the Lumia 830, it supports both standards. PMA to make AT&T happy and Qi to make Nokia/Microsoft happy, since Nokia and now Microsoft, are part of the Qi Alliance. Plus, there are more Qi chargers available than PMA to my knowledge, but I could be wrong. Such as Starbucks supports PMA, Coffee Bean supports Qi. The battle will continue on for a good while. It's similar to the old HD-DVD/Blu-Ray battle of 10 years ago.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Everyone in this thread acts as if the only choices are PMA and Qi. While that may be true for now, remember that new tech on the horizon can quite easily make both obsolete very quickly, just as USB 1.0 is obsolete.

The thing is, the next big thing in wireless charging is already in the works. There is more than one method of the next big thing, so it will be a matter of Qi and PMA both going into obsolescence, while these two new un-named techs duke it out. Both can charge your device from up to 28 feet away. No mat, no wires, just have to be in close proximity within 28 feet. Mount a few of these around your home to cover the whole house, and suddenly your device charges while you're at home. Mount one in your office at work, and your devices charges while your in your office.

It's not there yet, but there are some reports that expect it on the market starting within the next year.

In theory, it just takes a firmware update to your Wi-Fi router, and it will deliver the power to your device by using your router. That means you don't have to buy a new charger, you just have to update the ones you have. That means you'll be able to power your device from virtually anywhere that has had the firmware update. No new hardware needed for the router, just need the hardware on the device.

See Wi-Fi That Charges Your Gadgets is Closer than you think.

The big downside here is that the FCC in the US is imposing restrictions on power transmissions that they have not yet loosened. If they loosen those restrictions, you could power a lot of stuff. For now, legally speaking there is a 1W limitation, which means a trickle charge. That could change. The tech is already ready for the big stuff, just getting the FCC to comply is the biggest hurdle I believe. Still, a trickle charge throughout the day from your router while you work would keep the phone charged, or at the very least keep it from running down as fast and give you better battery life. Would love to see this.

If they will remove the 1 watt limitation and allow this tech to flourish, then you guys can keep the PMA and Qi, I'll take the Wi-Fi charging. Come home at the end of the day and put my phone anywhere I want, and it is charging. Yeah, I like that idea even better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this will ever even be a thing. Just that we never know what's coming around the corner with tech.

Last edited:

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
As said earlier, AT&T it's one of the members of the PMA, as such they have been pushing for all of their phones to be PMA enabled or built in. Considering that Starbucks is on the PMA board, as well as uses AT&T provided hotspots, it's no surprise that it would use PMA. With the announcement that PMA is merging with A4WP earlier this year, I expect the new standard to overtake Qi, due to availability of more flexible options (public areas to charge, 50W charging stations, cheaper parts for manufacturers). Given that most people I've encountered don't know what technology powers the wireless charging capabilities of their phones, I'm sure they will start to pay attention when public charging areas will only accept one standard, realizing their phone doesn't have it. Qi is nice, but it's not robust. Nor is there a high power standard for it. A4WP/PMA has a lot of interesting and wanted features that Qi lacks. Also I'd passed on WiFi charging. I have enough non-ionizing radiation in my home to add, yet another source of possible cancer to the list.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So what kind of batteries do they use in those Star Trek hand phasers? I'll bet one of those would power a phone for the rest of your life, considering the power output it has. No worries about charging.

They made a blooming Bluetooth Star Trek Communicator, why can't they make the battery for the phaser that will fit a Lumia?

Or if your s Star Gate fan, why not a few drops of liquid Naquida like what powers the staff weapons? Miniature ZPM even?

(Yes, I'm joking. I haven't gone completely senile, yet.)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T unlocked Lumia 1520 (RM-938) and it does charge without a case. I'm using the wireless charger from my AT&T unlocked 920

Humberto, the RM-938 is not AT&T...

Does your 1520 have 3 pins on the back like this?
Lumia_1520_green_pavement_back_cam.jpg

If it has the pins it should be an AT&T RM-940...

If it has the pins and says RM-938 inside "Settings > extras + info" then someone stuffed Factory Unlocked for Latin America internals into an AT&T case.

If it has the 3 pins and says RM-940 inside "Settings > extras + info" and charges without a case, someone did surgery on an AT&T 1520 to give it Qi.

If it has no pins and says RM-938 in "Settings > extras + info" then the phone has nothing to do with AT&T...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So what kind of batteries do they use in those Star Trek hand phasers? I'll bet one of those would power a phone for the rest of your life, considering the power output it has. No worries about charging.

They made a blooming Bluetooth Star Trek Communicator, why can't they make the battery for the phaser that will fit a Lumia?

Or if your s Star Gate fan, why not a few drops of liquid Naquida like what powers the staff weapons? Miniature ZPM even?

(Yes, I'm joking. I haven't gone completely senile, yet.)
My phone from the future is bigger on the inside and is powered by a collapsing black hole.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My phone from the future is bigger on the inside and is powered by a collapsing black hole.

Okay, so you've got a device designed and built by a Time Lord and powered by Romulan tech?

Might as well mix in some Star Wars tech with it. It also has a hologram hover above the phone of the person you're talking to.

Oh, wait, and throw in **** Tracy... you wear it as a watch on your wrist. ;)

Okay, now we're getting ridiculous.

Thanks, PepperDot. I needed the laugh this morning. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss