Lumia 1520 sudden battery drop!!

Lumia920amber

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Today my Lumia 1520s battery level suddenly dropped 89% to 81% in 10 minutes, then I made a soft reset and the battery level was 82%. Again after 15 minutes I took a look in the battery level and it was 73%. Is anyone else having this kind of issues and what should I do.
(PS: Normally my battery life is excellent. )

Black Lumia

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Try cutting down on background tasks-(settings->application(swipe right)). Also, temperature affects battery life. If this doesn't work, try purchasing a new battery(if possible). What conditions are you in?

lapirk

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
i have noticed the same. my phone is a month old and in the beginning the life was excellent, 2 days on a single charge with moderate to heavy usage.
now recently after a lotta app updates and os update, the life has dramatically changed. all my background tasks running are the same as before and i even turned off location services but its still the same. discharge rate has doubled and phone runs max for a day with similar usage when new. anyone know why?

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me also. It has to be a background task or something draining the app quickly.

For me, it was the CNN app. After the update, I noticed my battery dropping fast. I turned off the CNN background task and everything is back to normal.

lapirk

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
doing a hard reset worked for me. battery is back to how it was new. it was definitely an app but cant tell which one as i chose not to backup install many apps. im still running cnn so it wasnt that. looks like the phone varies among users

Khang Ngo2

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
It was either one of the background task apps such as facebook or some of the apps need update. I noticed when you're using outdated apps, the battery drops fast.

stylo388

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
i have noticed the same. my phone is a month old and in the beginning the life was excellent, 2 days on a single charge with moderate to heavy usage.

lol from the very first day im getting 1 day battery life but only when i turn the wifi off.. I guess i updated it very first day, thats why i getting 1 day life

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Every once in a while my phone will act odd and the battery life will drop significantly. I generally reboot to solve this. However, 3 times out of 4, trying to shutdown the phone causes the "Goodbye" screen to stay up indefinitely because it seems some process won't be killed and allow the shutdown. I figure it was that rogue process that was probably killing my battery life. I wish I knew how to find out what it was. At that point, I have to just press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to do a forced shutdown.

Otherwise, my battery life is phenomenal.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand exactly the battery life of this phone. I read every where that has the best battery life of any phone (almost). But at the same time Daniel rabino says that the battery is good but not great. And also in another article it says that in a battery drain test, it lasted for 3.5 hours.???!!
I use my phone on daily basis for Everything :work, v?deos, browsing, many phone calls etc etc etc. So... If I buy this "beast" I'm going to be charging it every couple of hours? Or only at night when I go to sleep? When I use my galaxy s3 I always drain 2 full batteries every day

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand exactly the battery life of this phone. I read every where that has the best battery life of any phone (almost). But at the same time Daniel rabino says that the battery is good but not great. And also in another article it says that in a battery drain test, it lasted for 3.5 hours.???!!
I use my phone on daily basis for Everything :work, v?deos, browsing, many phone calls etc etc etc. So... If I buy this "beast" I'm going to be charging it every couple of hours? Or only at night when I go to sleep? When I use my galaxy s3 I always drain 2 full batteries every day

I charge every night, but only because I prefer having 100% charge to start each day. When I plug in at night I normally have 50% or more battery left, unless I've played games for hours.

I also don't recall Daniel (Rubino, not Rabino btw) saying anything bad about the battery, or any articles here with battery life that low.

Mind linking to both instances?

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I’ve only had the device for a few days, so a thorough battery test was difficult to achieve. However, from my limited experience, I’d say the battery life was good, but not astonishing. In other words, while 3400 mAh is a large battery, when coupled with a 1080P, 6-inch display and a Quad-Core 2.2 GHz CPU, that extra 1400 mAh over other Lumias seems to be a wash.

Using the device’s built in estimates (found under Settings > Battery saver), the phone reads 15 hours remaining when at 100% (it later hopped to 2 days at 98%, then 1 day 12 hours at 95%). That’s not bad, but it’s far from earth shattering either. Advice: don’t plan to remain too far away from a power source.

(and then his follow uo review):
Battery life on the Lumia 1520 is also good though not ground breaking.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
engadget:New features like a quad-core processor and high-res display are fantastic additions to Windows Phone, but what kind of impact does it have on battery life? Runtime on the 1520's battery is about what we expected; this battery is one of the largest in a phone of its size, so our preconceived notions of its performance were admittedly pretty high. On our first full day of regular use, which included taking quite a few pictures, downloading a few apps, checking email and social media and a few other standard smartphone activities, the phone yielded around 12 hours of juice. This would be pretty good for most phones, but a power-efficient platform like Windows Phone should be able to squeeze even more life out of a 3,400mAh battery. On the second full day of regular use, however, its life appeared to bounce back after conducting countless photo sessions and other activities. By the end of that 13-hour day, we still had roughly 30 percent left. Because of the inconsistencies, we're conducting some additional tests. We'll continue to update this review as those results come in. (Update: the WPBench battery drain test merited a time of 3:30. This is just shy of the Lumia 925's time and significantly better than the 1020.)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I?ve only had the device for a few days, so a thorough battery test was difficult to achieve. However, from my limited experience, I?d say the battery life was good, but not astonishing. In other words, while 3400 mAh is a large battery, when coupled with a 1080P, 6-inch display and a Quad-Core 2.2 GHz CPU, that extra 1400 mAh over other Lumias seems to be a wash.

Using the device?s built in estimates (found under Settings > Battery saver), the phone reads 15 hours remaining when at 100% (it later hopped to 2 days at 98%, then 1 day 12 hours at 95%). That?s not bad, but it?s far from earth shattering either. Advice: don?t plan to remain too far away from a power source.

(and then his follow uo review):
Battery life on the Lumia 1520 is also good though not ground breaking.

We read those statements differently I guess. To me ground breaking would be double what the vendors get. He's saying it falls in line with expectations, but nothing world changing.

Also that battery test from WPBench is a hardcore test that stresses everything to the max. 3:30 is actually a respectable score.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Rubino say : don't plan to be far away from a power source! Are there 2 different ways to read that?
There are when you paraphrase it like that.
He said remain far away. In other words in general you should be fine, but keep a charger handy for any overnight type trips.

I've had a 1520 for months now, and as I said earlier the only times I haven't made it through a full 24 hour period are when I do hours long gaming sessions.

As an example. This whole cconversation I have been using my cell data on my phone as I'm currently traveling right now on a bus. I go through a ton of low signal areas and I've been gaming and reading a book and writing here for the last couple hours.
I still have over 90% left after almost 3 hours unplugged. My consumption rate is under 4% per hour according to my battery monitoring app, and that's with the max amount of background tasks running.

I'm guessing we are not going to agree, but I wanted to post this more for others so they don't cone away with a negative impression based on an interpretation of what Daniel said that's not quite accurate.

I will also find a day this weekend to do all sorts of battery life benchmarks and post my results here in this thread.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Au contraire. I want to agree with you. From the moment I wake up (5.20 am) I check the news, excercise, etc. basically I have the phone with me every moment of the day until I go to sleep (11 or 12). Of course I'm able to charge the phone twice a day. But it would be much easier if can go 12 hours without charging it. Thank you for you for taking the tests!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Au contraire. I want to agree with you. From the moment I wake up (5.20 am) I check the news, excercise, etc. basically I have the phone with me every moment of the day until I go to sleep (11 or 12). Of course I'm able to charge the phone twice a day. But it would be much easier if can go 12 hours without charging it. Thank you for you for taking the tests!

No problem. Thank you for taking my words at face value and not thinking I'm being a jerk. It is nice to have a reasonable conversation. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb