Unlock features on 1520

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Wondering when i get my 1520 unlocked if i will be able to remove everything that says AT&T on the app store? or do i will need to flash it after i get unlocked? Everytime i go to the store there is the "AT&T Featured" on the about Windows there are things with AT&T. I am not using their service and this is why i am trying to get unlock this phone to remove everything about them. Show me guys what i will need to do after i get unlocked this awesome phone.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that depends on the sim card you use.. Doesn't depend on your phone's brand... I'm on gophone with a Lumia 928/1520(international version) both have at&t featured in the app store menu.. Once you switch your carrier I don't think it will come up.. But even if u unlock since its an at&t phone.. The firmware updates will depend on at&t and the firmware will always be with at&t's customizations

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I think that depends on the sim card you use.. Doesn't depend on your phone's brand... I'm on gophone with a Lumia 928/1520(international version) both have at&t featured in the app store menu.. Once you switch your carrier I don't think it will come up.. But even if u unlock since its an at&t phone.. The firmware updates will depend on at&t and the firmware will always be with at&t's customizations
So if I unlock the phone and flash it with a retail version, does the updates will depend on at&t or nokia and Microsoft? I though that once you unlocked the phone and perhaps flash it, the phone will be updated directly from Nokia and Microsoft.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
So if I unlock the phone and flash it with a retail version, does the updates will depend on at&t or nokia and Microsoft? I though that once you unlocked the phone and perhaps flash it, the phone will be updated directly from Nokia and Microsoft.

I am not sure about flashing with a retail version, if you can do it, you can do the same whenever an update is released. About apps and settings I don't know if they will be retained. Can be restored via the backup if needed. Back in symbian days we had something called Product Code, and you get your updates based on that. I am not sure whether WP has it and whether it can be modified.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
It's just AT&T apps...which can all be uninstalled....I uninstalled all except the "My AT&T" app as I actually use that one. Nothing else about the phone or firmware his coded specifically to AT&T (except for the logo on the front).

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's just AT&T apps...which can all be uninstalled....I uninstalled all except the "My AT&T" app as I actually use that one. Nothing else about the phone or firmware his coded specifically to AT&T (except for the logo on the front).

Actually, the firmware on the device is coded. It's how updates are delivered. When I flashed my old 920 and my wife's to Rogers, we received the Amber update based on Rogers' release, not AT&T - even though we had AT&T SIM cards at the time.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the firmware on the device is coded. It's how updates are delivered. When I flashed my old 920 and my wife's to Rogers, we received the Amber update based on Rogers' release, not AT&T - even though we had AT&T SIM cards at the time.

Can I flash my 1520 with a Canadian firmware? My 1520 is a 16GB AT&T version.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am downloading the RM-937 Global 059T959 firmware to install over the RM-940 AT&T... I will report the results...

While this did work for the 920, people did find that it was better to use alternate firmware for their model number. I would advise against using RM-937 firmware for the RM-940.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
well, I tried but when I try to flash it, the software recognize that I do not have a RM-937 and can't move forward... So now I am going to see if it work with the 059V2M9 RM-940 firmware which is the Light Swap version of the AT&T

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I gave up... Nokia Suite Care or Nokia update retailer will not do anything if its not the original firmware that is designed for my specific phone. Hope someone in XDA develop a tool to make it easy jailbroke Lumia 1520.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

I guess why next question would be, what does AT&T put on the phone other than the "AT&T Featured" area on the store and the AT&T apps that come with the phone?

I can't find anything, and like I said, I just deleted the AT&T apps. How is my phone different than a Rogers one?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The store section is determined by your SIM and nothing else.

We aren't really privy to carrier firmware, but we know it includes preinstalled apps and branding. It can include themes (Rogers does this) or exclude features (e.g. AT&T and Data Sense).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss