Lumia 1520 Screen

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I purchased the Lumia 1520 from my local Microsoft store - I'm giving it a test drive for a few days (without any cell service) to see if I like it before I make a final decision as to whether I want to jump ship from Verizon to AT&T.

Coming from the 928 on Verizon I'm noticing a major difference in the screen, and wondering if any other 1520 owners can corroborate this. The 1520's screen seems rather dull and washed out in comparison to the 928's. Looking at the two home screens side by side (using the same color tiles) is night and day. The blacks, which are so deep and rich on the 928 that I can't even see the border between the screen and the black bevel, are a noticeably "lit up" gray on the 1520. This is also very noticeable while watching videos. I'm not super experienced with different screen types - I know the 1520 has an IPS LCD vs the 928's AMOLED display. I've read about the differences, but didn't expect them to be this noticeable - does this sound right?

I've also noticed that the viewing angles on the 1520 are not nearly as good. I have to be looking at it almost completely straight on to get the real display whereas on the 928 I can go to a good 45 degree angle before I noticeably start to lose the picture. Strangely, there is a "dead zone" on my 1520 in terms of the viewing angle - at 90 degrees (straight on) it is fine, then it fades pretty quickly as I angle it. It is worst at around 30 degrees, and then strangely the picture gets brighter and clearer as I near total flatness.

I do also have the annoying bug that seems to have been widely reported, where the screen will occasionally start off very bright, and then dim by about 5% a few seconds later. I've also seen it do the opposite once or twice, where it will start out dimmer than usual and then go to normal brightness (I have it set to high).

So I'm wondering if any other Lumia 1520 owners have had the same experiences or if the above points sound like they may be specific to the device I got. I may stop back in to the store and hold mine up against their display device to compare. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pontifex

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The difference between LCD and AMOLED is huge. My sister has the 820 which has AMOLED and the blacks are awesome but overall I prefer the LCD on the 920

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
This is my main concern as I currently have the 928 but want the 1320 or 1520. I know blacks will never be as good. But did you try to go into display settings and up the saturation setting to max? I have been so obsessed with the wonderful saturation of amoled screens that I have not owned an LCD phone except the 8x in about 4 years. I hated the washed out 8x display

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I knew there would be a difference - I guess I didn't expect it to be this big. And again it's not just the difference in color or brightness - the viewing angle thing really bugs me.

I did adjust the display settings to increase saturation, though the change is unfortunately pretty subtle.

Actually I also did a side by side photo comparison on each device (I uploaded the same photo to each) and I found I slightly preferred the 1520, though to be fair it was a bright daytime shot with little to no black in it. So in that case I found the 1520 a little bit superior, but in more common uses such as just looking at the screen I'm finding it really inferior to the 928's. Another example is the glance screen - unless I'm looking straight at it, I can barely see the clock and notifications on the 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos