Advice in a choice.

Ferenzo

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Very new here.

Long story short never had a windows phone. Want to switch from iphone 4 to either 1020 or 1520.

Has to happen by mar 2. I am going to take advantage of the microsoft store trade in.

Either phone seems great.

• I want to use the phone for video just as much as audio recording.
  • Photo quality is important. These seem fairly close.
  • I would be collecting sounds on it as well.

Im interested in the 1520 slightly more since I wont buy a tablet and like the idea of the big screen.
Also really like the expandable storage

OIS seems better on the 1520, maybe audio recording as well?

Only hesitation is how the 1020 seems better at all camera related operations?

I am interested in low light shooting.

Is there a large difference?

I understand that this has most likely been beaten into the ground but please help me decide.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The 1020 is the better camera. If that is what you need I would go for it.

The 1520 doesn't utilized the big screen as say a Note 3 does. I would go for a 1020 if the camera is the biggest thing you care about.

You might be able to pick up a 1020 for cheaper unlocked on ebay or amazon.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I think that you should go with Lumia 1520 ... a camera of Lumia 1020 is slightly better, but I believe that audio recording and speakers are better with Lumia 1520 ...

Anyway, check it out before you decide ... and remember, a battery life of Lumia 1520 is clearly better as well as Lumia 1520 has microSD slot (no such one in Lumia 1020) ...

Last edited:

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Very new here.

Long story short never had a windows phone. Want to switch from iphone 4 to either 1020 or 1520.

Has to happen by mar 2. I am going to take advantage of the microsoft store trade in.

Either phone seems great.

• I want to use the phone for video just as much as audio recording.
  • Photo quality is important. These seem fairly close.
  • I would be collecting sounds on it as well.

Im interested in the 1520 slightly more since I wont buy a tablet and like the idea of the big screen.
Also really like the expandable storage

OIS seems better on the 1520, maybe audio recording as well?

Only hesitation is how the 1020 seems better at all camera related operations?

I am interested in low light shooting.

Is there a large difference?

I understand that this has most likely been beaten into the ground but please help me decide.

GOOD=screen size, audio recording, good photos, good daylight videos, nice for media, able to add extra memory, up to date cpu, more future proof game wise.
BAD=getting one with no issues-bugs, too big for some people-not handy to keep with you say on a night out, poor low light videos.

GOOD=good everyday use size, great photos, great videos daylight and low light, been out for a while so most bugs have been looked at.
BAD=battery could have been bigger-been its aimed at lots of photos and videos, could have used a bit better cpu in such a flagship phone.

TBH watch youtube videos of owners recording with them, see which you like more, close in the day....1020 clear winner once the light starts to dim/night

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
The DPreview has rewired both from a photograph's point of view:

Nokia Lumia 1520 camera review

Do you need 41 megapixels? Our Nokia Lumia 1020 camera review

These guys are actually photography reviewers, and can help you decide based on cameras.

One of the biggest advantage of 1520 for heavy photo/video usage is the ability to use microSD cards.
Recording on microSD will prevent wear and tear on internal storage, which can get really serious with frequent recording and deleting of huge files. It will also provide virtually unlimited storage too.

Last edited:

Ferenzo

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
so I have reviewed a lot of stuff.

I have one last question.

I will be doing post production all videos and photos.

Do you think that the noise that is present in the 1520 (video mainly) will be manageable in editing?
I'm using adobe premier cc and after effects cc

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Go for the 1020 only if photo and video quality > sound quality, storage, big screen, more future proof hardware.
There are a lot of annoying bugs on most of the 1520's though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs