03-04-2014 08:47 AM
48 12
tools
    Yeah, they are scratches.. But I now know where they probably came from. Jeans.. Let a friend use the phone for one day, because he wanted to try it out. I didn't notice anything, but today he took his phone and cleaned the screen using his jeans. Oh well, I really didn't think that would scratch Gorilla Glass, but I guessed I am wrong. Hmm there has got to be a way to remove them. I know to remove scratches from a watch face, you use a little toothpaste and a clean rag... Maybe I will try that on a corner and see if it works....
    03-03-2014 05:48 PM
    I'm convinced that GG is inconsistent in quality. I'd never had a screen scratch (and have never used cases or screen protectors) until my L925. After having it for a couple of months, I noticed small scratches from where I take it in and out of my jean pockets. Nothing sharp there, just the material. I was very surprised because my Nokia N8 saw a lot of abuse and there are no easily visible scratches on it. It's not a huge deal, and certainly wouldn't cause me to hesitate getting another Lumia. At least the screen doesn't crack by just looking at it cross eyed like an iPhone screen.
    I wouldn't assume there's nothing sharp there. I was getting scratches on my old device, and I realized that all of my jeans (mens) had little metal tabs on the little mini watch pocket that they put above the right front pocket. Those little metal tabs will scratch the hell out of a larger screen. With smaller devices you may never have even noticed them making contact. I attached an Image for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails 50270_127351317275418_5184873_n.jpg  
    03-03-2014 06:05 PM
    #1 reason I never stick any phone (Except the flip phone) in my pants pockets. Lots of things can scratch, and now I know, even the jeans themselves can scratch a screen. I will probably pick up a screen protector for it, before it stretches to the part of the screen that lights up. Right now it's just on the black area.
    03-03-2014 06:16 PM
    #1 reason I never stick any phone (Except the flip phone) in my pants pockets. Lots of things can scratch, and now I know, even the jeans themselves can scratch a screen. I will probably pick up a screen protector for it, before it stretches to the part of the screen that lights up. Right now it's just on the black area.
    There's almost no way that the denim fabric scratched your phone. Chances are there was some kind of sand/grit in the pocket. In order to actually scratch the display the material would need to be as hard or harder than the glass, and even a rough fabric just isn't going to do it.
    03-03-2014 06:22 PM
    I don't wear jewelry, but there must have been a time I must have used something else. Oh well, no problem.
    The image you uploaded very clearly shows a ring on the hand that you are using to hold the One.
    03-03-2014 06:25 PM
    The image you uploaded very clearly shows a ring on the hand that you are using to hold the One.
    Alas, but I don't own a HTC One anymore, never did own a red one when I did. Oh and my hair is almost all gray, not red. And to top it off, I am of the male species... I guess I could have just said I asked a coworker to use her phone to take a picture of mine, but I wouldn't get to say all this. LoL ;)
    03-03-2014 07:58 PM
    There's almost no way that the denim fabric scratched your phone. Chances are there was some kind of sand/grit in the pocket. In order to actually scratch the display the material would need to be as hard or harder than the glass, and even a rough fabric just isn't going to do it.
    That my friend is not at all true. No sand or grit involved. Neither my friend or I use the stuff, and only sand around here is covered in 19" of snow and ice. LoL I am afraid that if these scratches didn't magically appear, then it was rubbing it on a the leg of a set of jeans or a cotton shirt. This was done in the last couple days, not over a period of time. And my friend knows how I feel about putting my phone in the pants pockets. And we work in the same place in the office. So it didn't leave the office as long as he had the phone. By all day, I meant a work day....
    mjrtoo likes this.
    03-03-2014 08:05 PM
    That my friend is not at all true. No sand or grit involved. Neither my friend or I use the stuff, and only sand around here is covered in 19" of snow and ice. LoL I am afraid that if these scratches didn't magically appear, then it was rubbing it on a the leg of a set of jeans or a cotton shirt. This was done in the last couple days, not over a period of time. And my friend knows how I feel about putting my phone in the pants pockets. And we work in the same place in the office. So it didn't leave the office as long as he had the phone. By all day, I meant a work day....
    Then it had to be all that diamond dust in your pockets. :)
    03-03-2014 08:54 PM
    I wouldn't assume there's nothing sharp there. I was getting scratches on my old device, and I realized that all of my jeans (mens) had little metal tabs on the little mini watch pocket that they put above the right front pocket. Those little metal tabs will scratch the hell out of a larger screen. With smaller devices you may never have even noticed them making contact. I attached an Image for reference.
    No, no metal tabs. I keep my phone in my left pocket, and there's nothing there. The phone is the only thing I keep in that pocket. I keep my keys, change etc. on the side that you showed the pic of. And when I say scratches, I mean very small (but noticeable) scratches about 1/8 of an inch long.
    03-04-2014 12:50 AM
    May I point out that you haven't scratched your gorilla glass? These are on the oleophobic layer of your screen. The layer that prevents oily fingerprints over the screen. It is super easy to scratch that layer. Think of it as icing on the cake - easy to crack the icing, but the sponge doesn't necessarily break that easy.
    mjrtoo likes this.
    03-04-2014 06:24 AM
    A simple fact of the universe. In order to scratch the screen, the item that scratched it would have to register at least as hard or harder than the screen

This is why cutting diamonds is so difficult.

May I point out that you haven't scratched your gorilla glass? These are on the oleophobic layer of your screen. The layer that prevents oily fingerprints over the screen. It is super easy to scratch that layer. Think of it as icing on the cake - easy to crack the icing, but the sponge doesn't necessarily break that easy.
    Believe it or not this is not true. Testing of the integrated oleophobic layer (Corning includes it as part of the manufacturing process, not as a separate bit) shows it actually reduces scratches as compared to naked GG, even up to GG3. So if anything the screen is harder to scratch with the integrated layer, not easier.

There's actually documentation of this here: http://317d462d97c0f60cc4a8-f82dbb2c...y-to-Clean.pdf

Sorry for the long URL there, but this particular white paper can be hard to find...so I went with the first source that had it...rather than digging for a couple hours.
    Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 03-04-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    03-04-2014 07:32 AM
    Well, if that's the case, why do all these videos never seem to scratch that 'layer' in the torture tests, and what good would that be, it's no different than scratching the glass itself.

Can you fix it if that's the case?
    03-04-2014 07:34 AM
    Well, if that's the case, why do all these videos never seem to scratch that 'layer' in the torture tests, and what good would that be, it's no different than scratching the glass itself.

Can you fix it if that's the case?
    See above post
    03-04-2014 07:46 AM
    See above post
    The above post is not what is on my phone. Look at the pictures of the one with the fingerprints and the other half with this "Protective cover" Mine sometimes looks like the one on the left. A fingerprint magnet. So I would suppose to save a few dollars Corning left this magic layer off some phone screens. The simple fact is, my screen got scratched by wiping it on a pants leg made of blue jeans. A clean pair to boot. No metal clips in the leg part, and never stuck in pocket. If you look at the picture, you only see a few, there is over 50+ of those little scratches on the right side. all about uniformed in shape and size about the same difference is width apart from each other. Almost like you ran it through a machine made to embed scratches uniformed. There are a few longer ones, but almost all are the same length. There are a few scribbly ones too, that is why I think it was cleaned with the pants leg, or a shirt tail. But nothing has touched the screen that is harder than glass. And what good is a cover to stop the screen being scratched, if you have to replace the screen to fix the scratch?
    03-04-2014 08:06 AM
    Then it had to be all that diamond dust in your pockets. :)
    Yeah, in my shirt pocket. Dang I knew I shouldn't have went into the diamond mine that day.. LoL
    03-04-2014 08:09 AM
    You said before that Nokia offered to look at the phone. Might be an idea to let them, if there's a manufacturing defect, they'll be able to spot it.

Or you can continue spinning this thread in circles saying that it's not your fault.

Your call.
    palandri likes this.
    03-04-2014 08:09 AM
    No coating on mine. Fingerprints are a problem with the phone. I can see them easily. If I had known this screen was that wimpy, I would have put a screen protector on it. Now it's a bit late for that.
    03-04-2014 08:11 AM
    You said before that Nokia offered to look at the phone. Might be an idea to let them, if there's a manufacturing defect, they'll be able to spot it.

Or you can continue spinning this thread in circles saying that it's not your fault.

Your call.
    I tthought about it, but I would need to ship it, and be without my phone for too long, just to find that Nokia is like all other companies and say user error, let them pay. And it is probably my fault, but just pissed that it was so easy to do. No other phone I had did this. But my coworker said the case I had, might have been too tight, because they look like mini-fractures. I know it was really tight, but I guess it was my mistake of still using it. If they are cracks and not scratches, I will put a shield on it to help stop it from going farther.
    03-04-2014 08:31 AM
    The above post is not what is on my phone. Look at the pictures of the one with the fingerprints and the other half with this "Protective cover" Mine sometimes looks like the one on the left. A fingerprint magnet. So I would suppose to save a few dollars Corning left this magic layer off some phone screens. The simple fact is, my screen got scratched by wiping it on a pants leg made of blue jeans. A clean pair to boot. No metal clips in the leg part, and never stuck in pocket. If you look at the picture, you only see a few, there is over 50+ of those little scratches on the right side. all about uniformed in shape and size about the same difference is width apart from each other. Almost like you ran it through a machine made to embed scratches uniformed. There are a few longer ones, but almost all are the same length. There are a few scribbly ones too, that is why I think it was cleaned with the pants leg, or a shirt tail. But nothing has touched the screen that is harder than glass. And what good is a cover to stop the screen being scratched, if you have to replace the screen to fix the scratch?
    ...and as I keep telling you, you cannot scratch something with a material that is softer than it. It's literally impossible.
    03-04-2014 08:37 AM

Your call.
    This last bit is what I feel will happen here...he's seeking someone to blame and not wanting to deal with the literal physical reality of the universe.
    03-04-2014 08:38 AM
    Besides thanks to everyone here, I have been more in believing that I am at fault. Which is a good thing, in that way that I always seem to blame companies for faulty equipment, before taking a closer look at how I may have treated things. I now realize that is is only 10% Cornings fault, and 90% mine. And that leaves 0% for Nokia. I will do a little more research on replacing the screen, but I hear that it is almost impossible to separate the glass from the digitizer without breaking it and costing hundreds...

Just a note... Thank you all for your insights
    03-04-2014 08:39 AM
    This last bit is what I feel will happen here...he's seeking someone to blame and not wanting to deal with the literal physical reality of the universe.
    And this isn't "spinning the wheels" a bit? Well read the above post and you will see I have had a change of mind. It is my fault, I believe my coworker in that these really look like mini-fractures. Therefor all my fault for using a case that was way too tight for it. And in the process of removing it and putting it back on, I caused this to happen. That will be the last generic hard case I use. I normally have soft gel ones. But I bought the Incipo PMA charging case and will use that. Will go to the mall and get a shield put on the phone to help prevent it from spreading. So have a nice day, and now the problem has been solved, the cause revealed, a moderator can close this thread. I do thank you for stating your opinions, helpful or not.
    03-04-2014 08:45 AM
    I tthought about it, but I would need to ship it, and be without my phone for too long, just to find that Nokia is like all other companies and say user error, let them pay. And it is probably my fault, but just pissed that it was so easy to do. No other phone I had did this. But my coworker said the case I had, might have been too tight, because they look like mini-fractures. I know it was really tight, but I guess it was my mistake of still using it. If they are cracks and not scratches, I will put a shield on it to help stop it from going farther.
    You keep spinning this thread in circles. First it's not your fault, then it's your friends fault, then it's your fault, and it's no longer contributing anything positive to the community. Closed.
    oditius and Pete like this.
    03-04-2014 08:47 AM
48 12