Omg scratches

Status
Not open for further replies.

richhill963

May 21, 2012
Visit site
maybe its from rings that you wear on your finger, when trying to stretch to hit certain areas on the screen, your ring hits the sides of the screen. just an idea, I know you got yours just a few days before I bought mine, I was reading your messages cause you were waiting for fedex to deliver it. min is doing fine, I have it in a belkin folio case with a soft inner lining.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm convinced that GG is inconsistent in quality. I'd never had a screen scratch (and have never used cases or screen protectors) until my L925. After having it for a couple of months, I noticed small scratches from where I take it in and out of my jean pockets. Nothing sharp there, just the material. I was very surprised because my Nokia N8 saw a lot of abuse and there are no easily visible scratches on it. It's not a huge deal, and certainly wouldn't cause me to hesitate getting another Lumia. At least the screen doesn't crack by just looking at it cross eyed like an iPhone screen.

luis_banda

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I would also think that there were small particles of dirt that scratch the screen when you clean your screen. Gorilla Glass is a good addition to modern smartphones but it's not scratch proof. I've remembered had a smartphone with GG (not a Lumia) that was scratched because of tiny dirt when I applied a lens cloth. I felt so frustrated about the screen, but after that day I prefer using those cheap screen protectors in order to reduce that risk.

I think that there would be a different a story if the screen cracked because of pressure due to a bad installation process.

Greets

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you 100% sure they are scratches? I had some marks in my screen that looked like scratches. I couldn't get them off with a microfiber and Windex. Swore they were permanent and was bummed. They did come off with an aggressive thumbnail. Screen now looks like new.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they are scratches.. But I now know where they probably came from. Jeans.. Let a friend use the phone for one day, because he wanted to try it out. I didn't notice anything, but today he took his phone and cleaned the screen using his jeans. Oh well, I really didn't think that would scratch Gorilla Glass, but I guessed I am wrong. Hmm there has got to be a way to remove them. I know to remove scratches from a watch face, you use a little toothpaste and a clean rag... Maybe I will try that on a corner and see if it works....

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm convinced that GG is inconsistent in quality. I'd never had a screen scratch (and have never used cases or screen protectors) until my L925. After having it for a couple of months, I noticed small scratches from where I take it in and out of my jean pockets. Nothing sharp there, just the material. I was very surprised because my Nokia N8 saw a lot of abuse and there are no easily visible scratches on it. It's not a huge deal, and certainly wouldn't cause me to hesitate getting another Lumia. At least the screen doesn't crack by just looking at it cross eyed like an iPhone screen.

I wouldn't assume there's nothing sharp there. I was getting scratches on my old device, and I realized that all of my jeans (mens) had little metal tabs on the little mini watch pocket that they put above the right front pocket. Those little metal tabs will scratch the hell out of a larger screen. With smaller devices you may never have even noticed them making contact. I attached an Image for reference.

Attachments

• 50270_127351317275418_5184873_n.jpg
    50270_127351317275418_5184873_n.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 66

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
#1 reason I never stick any phone (Except the flip phone) in my pants pockets. Lots of things can scratch, and now I know, even the jeans themselves can scratch a screen. I will probably pick up a screen protector for it, before it stretches to the part of the screen that lights up. Right now it's just on the black area.

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
#1 reason I never stick any phone (Except the flip phone) in my pants pockets. Lots of things can scratch, and now I know, even the jeans themselves can scratch a screen. I will probably pick up a screen protector for it, before it stretches to the part of the screen that lights up. Right now it's just on the black area.

There's almost no way that the denim fabric scratched your phone. Chances are there was some kind of sand/grit in the pocket. In order to actually scratch the display the material would need to be as hard or harder than the glass, and even a rough fabric just isn't going to do it.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The image you uploaded very clearly shows a ring on the hand that you are using to hold the One.

Alas, but I don't own a HTC One anymore, never did own a red one when I did. Oh and my hair is almost all gray, not red. And to top it off, I am of the male species... I guess I could have just said I asked a coworker to use her phone to take a picture of mine, but I wouldn't get to say all this. LoL ;)

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There's almost no way that the denim fabric scratched your phone. Chances are there was some kind of sand/grit in the pocket. In order to actually scratch the display the material would need to be as hard or harder than the glass, and even a rough fabric just isn't going to do it.

That my friend is not at all true. No sand or grit involved. Neither my friend or I use the stuff, and only sand around here is covered in 19" of snow and ice. LoL I am afraid that if these scratches didn't magically appear, then it was rubbing it on a the leg of a set of jeans or a cotton shirt. This was done in the last couple days, not over a period of time. And my friend knows how I feel about putting my phone in the pants pockets. And we work in the same place in the office. So it didn't leave the office as long as he had the phone. By all day, I meant a work day....

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That my friend is not at all true. No sand or grit involved. Neither my friend or I use the stuff, and only sand around here is covered in 19" of snow and ice. LoL I am afraid that if these scratches didn't magically appear, then it was rubbing it on a the leg of a set of jeans or a cotton shirt. This was done in the last couple days, not over a period of time. And my friend knows how I feel about putting my phone in the pants pockets. And we work in the same place in the office. So it didn't leave the office as long as he had the phone. By all day, I meant a work day....

Then it had to be all that diamond dust in your pockets. :)

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't assume there's nothing sharp there. I was getting scratches on my old device, and I realized that all of my jeans (mens) had little metal tabs on the little mini watch pocket that they put above the right front pocket. Those little metal tabs will scratch the hell out of a larger screen. With smaller devices you may never have even noticed them making contact. I attached an Image for reference.
No, no metal tabs. I keep my phone in my left pocket, and there's nothing there. The phone is the only thing I keep in that pocket. I keep my keys, change etc. on the side that you showed the pic of. And when I say scratches, I mean very small (but noticeable) scratches about 1/8 of an inch long.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
May I point out that you haven't scratched your gorilla glass? These are on the oleophobic layer of your screen. The layer that prevents oily fingerprints over the screen. It is super easy to scratch that layer. Think of it as icing on the cake - easy to crack the icing, but the sponge doesn't necessarily break that easy.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

A simple fact of the universe. In order to scratch the screen, the item that scratched it would have to register at least as hard or harder than the screen

This is why cutting diamonds is so difficult.

May I point out that you haven't scratched your gorilla glass? These are on the oleophobic layer of your screen. The layer that prevents oily fingerprints over the screen. It is super easy to scratch that layer. Think of it as icing on the cake - easy to crack the icing, but the sponge doesn't necessarily break that easy.

Believe it or not this is not true. Testing of the integrated oleophobic layer (Corning includes it as part of the manufacturing process, not as a separate bit) shows it actually reduces scratches as compared to naked GG, even up to GG3. So if anything the screen is harder to scratch with the integrated layer, not easier.

There's actually documentation of this here: http://317d462d97c0f60cc4a8-f82dbb2...loads/files/COR_GG_WhtPaper_Easy-to-Clean.pdf

Sorry for the long URL there, but this particular white paper can be hard to find...so I went with the first source that had it...rather than digging for a couple hours.

Last edited:

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Well, if that's the case, why do all these videos never seem to scratch that 'layer' in the torture tests, and what good would that be, it's no different than scratching the glass itself.

Can you fix it if that's the case?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
See above post

The above post is not what is on my phone. Look at the pictures of the one with the fingerprints and the other half with this "Protective cover" Mine sometimes looks like the one on the left. A fingerprint magnet. So I would suppose to save a few dollars Corning left this magic layer off some phone screens. The simple fact is, my screen got scratched by wiping it on a pants leg made of blue jeans. A clean pair to boot. No metal clips in the leg part, and never stuck in pocket. If you look at the picture, you only see a few, there is over 50+ of those little scratches on the right side. all about uniformed in shape and size about the same difference is width apart from each other. Almost like you ran it through a machine made to embed scratches uniformed. There are a few longer ones, but almost all are the same length. There are a few scribbly ones too, that is why I think it was cleaned with the pants leg, or a shirt tail. But nothing has touched the screen that is harder than glass. And what good is a cover to stop the screen being scratched, if you have to replace the screen to fix the scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05