Lumia 1520 "NOT FOR RESALE"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You have some top secret version of the phone... or it is a store display model.

ROTFLMAO!! Top secret version. haha.

That sticker often shows up on demo models. Maybe it was a demo at one time or may still be a demo. Try to register it and see what happens.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's either a demo version or an internal test unit.

Either way, the seller broke an agreement in selling it on.

It's possible that at some point in the future, the phone with either not get updated (due to it having a bespoke firmware), or will be remotely deactivated when the theft has been detected.

If you bought it on eBay, you could try opening a dispute and getting your money back. You have a time bomb that may or may not go off.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. Technically, it's stolen goods. But, if you contact Nokia and tell them what's happened, you may get something back in return for information about the seller. Nokia have been known in the past to be philanthropic. Oh course, the phone may be fully functional and able to receive updates, I don't know. It seems reasonable to assume that manufacturers can remote kill a rogue test phone.

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Does that mean even if I inform Nokia about this device they won't do anything? I hope they do something because I'm sure they are aware about this kind of stuff. I don't want my phone to be killed remotely! 😞

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Does that mean even if I inform Nokia about this device they won't do anything? I hope they someone do something because I'm sure they are aware about this kind of stuff. I don't want my phone to be killed remotely! 
Not sure what you expect them to do but what you have to first determine if the phone has an IMEI you can register. Surely you did that before giving up the money, assuming you spent money to get it. Go here and plug in the phones IMEI number. That will give you an idea on your next steps.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
This is why I only buy old devices online that I'm using for fun and nothing new.

Way too much risk in buying from storefronts or private sellers that something like this can happen. I would contact Nokia immediately and provide them with the IMEI so they can figure out where the phone has been and if they can hook you up with a replacement and reunite that phone with the owner (store or Nokia themselves).

If they can't hook you up with anything...well unfortunately that's the risk of shady deals like this.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a real shame that you're going through this and I really hope there's a positive outcome. Any chance you can keep us updated in this thread as it may be helpful to others who may find themselves in the same situation as yourself.

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, man. I will update you all. I really do hope that the outcome is positive.

I kinda feel bad right now why I sold my 1020, my only issue about the 1020 is it's battery life. Everything else is perfect. But the 1520 is also amazing. It's just that I got a bad one.

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Good news! Nokia phoned me and we talked about the problem and they said that they will replace my phone! Hopefully by Sunday we will meet to get my phone exchanged! 😊

Last edited:

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You will get your phone replaced, although you didn't buy from them or have a warranty? That's gonna be the best customer service in the world.

Sent from my RM-937_im_mea3_1019 using Tapatalk

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I got this 1520 because someone offered me this to my Lumia 1020 complete with camera grip. So I suppose this 1520 doesn't have warranty because it's like a prototype. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05