Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Expecting delivery of my 1520 today, but expected it hours ago. Not sure if the heavy rain today is delaying things, but I've already taken a few hours off of work to accept delivery -_-. Hope it gets here soon.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Expecting delivery of my 1520 today, but expected it hours ago. Not sure if the heavy rain today is delaying things, but I've already taken a few hours off of work to accept delivery -_-. Hope it gets here soon.

Mine got in way late yesterday. I'm guessing because of heavy rain as well. I had UPS My Choice deliver it to my neighbor to accept signature and my deliver time was after 5pm. Wow.

Everything still works post 8.1 update. Tethering, Tmo LTE, etc. Now just waiting on my case and 64GB SD Card.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine got in way late yesterday. I'm guessing because of heavy rain as well. I had UPS My Choice deliver it to my neighbor to accept signature and my deliver time was after 5pm. Wow.

Everything still works post 8.1 update. Tethering, Tmo LTE, etc. Now just waiting on my case and 64GB SD Card.

Still waiting as of 4:11 p.m. They're usually here at around 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.But you know what, as long as both 1520s I ordered are working well like yours (*knocks on wood*), I don't mind!

Last edited:

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting as of 4:11 p.m. They're usually here at around 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.But you know what, as long as both 1520s I ordered are working well like yours (*knocks on wood*), I don't mind!

Did you get your phone yet? It's like a million o'clock.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you get your phone yet? It's like a million o'clock.

Was just coming here to report back. Got it around 5 p.m. Unfortunately I can tell that the yellow one has at least a mild case of that swipe/tap/scroll issue :(. No bright or dark spots on the screen and the camera is working (the other issues I looked for right away). It's too early to tell just how bad the swipe/tap issue is, but I experienced it twice already during initial set-up. So far it doesn't look like the white one has it, but I haven't used it as much yet as I'm concentrating on setting mine up first.

T-Mobile has been a bit of a pain already but I just activated service, so I guess some foul-ups can be excused. The temporary number they gave me isn't working and porting won't be done until sometime tomorrow (that's probably my prepaid service's fault; Red Pocket).

I was really excited, and still pretty happy to have gotten my 1520 finally, but it's definitely being tempered by this swipe/tap thing. I knew that this is by far the most common issue, so it didn't catch me off guard, but I guess I just really had my hopes up that my device wouldn't have it.

I'm hoping somehow it'll just go away by itself or happen so rarely that I can live with it without caring too much.

How's yours so far? Any swipe/tap issue? Do you have glance and double-tap to wake on?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
What is this swipe issue? Is it when the screen reacts to movements when your finger hovers over top?

If it is then I haven't seen it yet on my white 1520, but it occasionally happened on my 920. It was rare, bit did happen.

Yes, I have glance and double tap on.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

Did the tethering work right out the box without having to mess with keyboard removal/installing. That's my biggest concern because I really rely on T-Mo hotspot at work.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My tethering does work out of the box, but there's a disclaimer. I pay 15/month for it, bringing my bill to 45/month.

I have since cancelled tethering when I got my 1520 yesterday so, after my billing period is up I'll test out the keyboard hack.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Keyboard hack work on my 1520 and I screwed up the instruction. I haven't used my phone as a hot spot since a hacked my BlackBerry, but I will now.

Humhead

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Got mine today and all is great except internet sharing. I have hotspot access on my bill and it worked with my 8X. I follows the steps to the letter. I've hard reset twice. I did upgrade to 8.1 over wifi before I got the sim activated. I'm downgrading to 8.0 and starting again. I've got to get it working. It's a deal killer if I can't.

Edit: starting back at 8.0 + keyboard hack + upgrade to 8.1 worked. Yay!

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What is this swipe issue? Is it when the screen reacts to movements when your finger hovers over top?

If it is then I haven't seen it yet on my white 1520, but it occasionally happened on my 920. It was rare, bit did happen.

Yes, I have glance and double tap on.

Well for me, it happened twice. Once when I was scrolling through a search result in the app store. It registered the scroll as a tap. The other time was when I was swiping left to get from my home screen to my list of apps. Two swipes in quick succession and neither were registered (neither as a swipe nor a tap). The problem has not reoccurred since those two times, but I haven't been playing with it so much as I deal with this T-Mobile nightmare. First being lied to 3 times about my corporate discount, then having both the temporary number they issued me and the number I tried to port over cancelled somehow. I'm without any sort of phone line tonight and they can't get this sorted through chat. I don't even know if I'll be able to get my phone number back.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Bummer.

Well no sensitivity issues here. I doubt that just white colored ones are exempt, but have you experienced it on your white 1520.3?

Marek Marzec

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Make sure you change it to normal, it will not be that sensitive, plus touch had an update today see if that helps tou

Sent from my Nokia 1520.3 the beast

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Bummer.

Well no sensitivity issues here. I doubt that just white colored ones are exempt, but have you experienced it on your white 1520.3?

Make sure you change it to normal, it will not be that sensitive, plus touch had an update today see if that helps tou

Sent from my Nokia 1520.3 the beast

I don't want to give an inaccurate answer since I haven't played with it much, but so far I'd say no, the white version I ordered does not have the swipe/tap issue.

Got my issues sorted out with T-Mobile temporarily. Funny how much more helpful they suddenly are when you complain on Twitter and tweet their CEO.

Been playing with the phone a bit more and I like it despite the tap issue :smile:. Right now I'd classify it as infrequent and occasional. But it's there. The phone is showing that everything is up to date, so it must have already downloaded the touch update when I was setting it up. I don't know if the situation was worse before that update obviously, so I don't know if the update helped.

I'll report back with any updates, but right now I'd say that's the only issue and that it's both minor and manageable. I feel like the camera is a little grainy on both devices. I thought maybe I just had to remove the plastic on the lens. Anything I should know that should make things a little clearer in camera mode?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Grainy camera yep. I feel my 920 was better. I even felt my 920 was better than my 925 taking pics.

I'll play with the 1520 camera more after tomorrow. See if I manually crank down the ISO to no more than 200 and see if that makes a difference.

Glad to see you're liking it otherwise. I'm finally going to put mine down for the night. Starting to get a pain in my neck. Lol

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Tmobile is very helpful on twitter, no matter if you tweet the CEO or not. Most likely an employee is looking after his account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Grainy camera yep. I feel my 920 was better. I even felt my 920 was better than my 925 taking pics.

I'll play with the 1520 camera more after tomorrow. See if I manually crank down the ISO to no more than 200 and see if that makes a difference.

Glad to see you're liking it otherwise. I'm finally going to put mine down for the night. Starting to get a pain in my neck. Lol

Ok, glad I'm not the only one. With your confirmation I think I can say I officially have no major defects in either phone for now. Hurray! Lol :excited:. I agree, comparing it to my 920, I'm liking the 920's camera more. I wonder if the screen size has anything to do with it... less grain showing up on smaller screens. Please let me know what you find out with your camera experiments.

I have a lime green case to put on my yellow 1520 (making for a nice contrast) but this thing is just too beautiful to cover up! Oddly, I haven't found a nice, slim, minimalist orange shell anywhere... pretty much every other color but orange is out there. I ordered one that turned out to be florescent, with a cheap, horrible paint job.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Also just to add, screen sensitivity is set to 'normal' and both glance and double tap are on.

Kinda bummed I have the tap/swipe bug, but I'm trying to tell myself that it's not that bad since it's occasional. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it either. I appreciate the suggestions though.