03-04-2015 10:11 AM
1,509 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    Meh. Lol.
    Don't forget that one of the beautiful things about the 1320 is the removable back. You can always buy a different color back on eBay for $12, or all 3 other colors for $36. Then you'd always have a choice. :)
    05-09-2014 01:00 PM
    John
    Is the 1320 a micro or mini sim?
    I would like to switch between my 1020 but the 1520 is micro so it is more of a permanent switch.
    The 1320 uses MicroSIM, so you wouldn't have to switch. But keep in mind you can always get a SIM converter. I just keep my SIM as a NanoSIM and when I need it to be a MicroSIM I just put it in the converter.
    05-09-2014 01:06 PM
    Thanks. I get LTE most places in town...I just have to rely on HSPA+ at the office. Wireless charging not a deal breaker. How about internet sharing? I've read other threads where an unlocked ATT variant requires a foreign SIM card to hack it rather than the Spanish keyboard install. Not being able to run my iPad off the phone at work would definitely be a negative.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
    Be careful what you buy. I think you referred to the phone as RM-937, but htat is not the Unlocked AT&T variant. The AT&T variant is the RM-940. I'm not sure which one you were considering, but in either case, The 940 will work on LTE bands but won't give you wireless charging without an ugly PMA case. The 937 doesn't work with North American LTE bands at all but has Qi built in. All models use 1900MHz HSPA+.
    05-09-2014 01:28 PM
    Be careful what you buy. I think you referred to the phone as RM-937, but htat is not the Unlocked AT&T variant.
    Thanks, John. I did a little research and you nailed it. This is not the AT&T version and it does NOT have the 1700 LTE band, so I would be restricted to HSPA+. That would be OK but obviously not ideal. And I'd have to hope the 1900 coverage is as good over the rest of town as it is in my area. Hmmmmm. I think for now I will leave this as a fall back option if my 1520.3 doesn't materialize. Appreciate the feedback.

05-09-2014 01:48 PM
    Thanks, John. I did a little research and you nailed it. This is not the AT&T version and it does NOT have the 1700 LTE band, so I would be restricted to HSPA+. That would be OK but obviously not ideal. And I'd have to hope the 1900 coverage is as good over the rest of town as it is in my area. Hmmmmm. I think for now I will leave this as a fall back option if my 1520.3 doesn't materialize. Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah no problem. I'm glad I could help. I think you're right to just wait it out. I've used all 3 (937, 938, & 940) on T-Mobile at one time or another. The 938 is really the killer device. It is 100% compatible with T-Mobile no matter where you are, has Qi built-in, and has an easy way to set up tethering. You really can't go wrong with it.
    dclaryjr likes this.
    05-09-2014 02:29 PM
    Make sure you take a picture of this unicorn. :D
    Leery of those adaptors as I bent the pins on a Samsung with one a couple of years ago.

Nope, just go ahead and buy yourself a nanosim cutter right now. Comes with interchangeable adapters to allow you to swap back and forth between micro <-> nano.
    Amazon.com: QQ-Tech Nano Sim Card Cutter Mini /Standard & Micro to Nano Sim for iPhone 5 iPhone 4, 4S and other Phones + Metal Tray + 2 Sim Adapters + Sand Paper, All in One Pack (In Stock Ready to Ship): Cell Phones & Accessories
    John Mark Dyer likes this.
    05-09-2014 04:50 PM
    Drawbacks are slooow speeds in areas not refarmed areas, and having to buy a charging case if you want wireless charging.
    He's talking about the rm-937, so no worries with the charging case. The slow speeds in non-refarmed areas is accurate though.
    Last edited by kwill; 05-09-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    05-09-2014 06:42 PM
    05-10-2014 11:42 PM
    Anyone know if these guys are legit?

Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Unlocked) (Black) - Light-KenLTD
    No, read back a few posts.
    XtiaN710 likes this.
    05-10-2014 11:46 PM
    I received my 32gb AT&T upgrade phone Wednesday as I was leaving out for work. Upon getting home I rushed and charged the battery but with the first screen displayed my eyes go directly to a dead pixel. I found out about AT&T's stupid policy's when I returned the phone, like charging a restock fee even if it's defective. Since I refuse to get back in a contact with AT&T I'm going to try and purchase the RM-938 from B&H. Are there any discount codes around?

Edit: Also is it possible the reason for them being on backorder everywhere and one model on Negri showing as discontinued because they're refreshing the next batch to have 8.1 stock?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TechoGeek; 05-11-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    05-11-2014 03:07 AM
    I received my 32gb AT&T upgrade phone Wednesday as I was leaving out for work. Upon getting home I rushed and charged the battery but with the first screen displayed my eyes go directly to a dead pixel. I found out about AT&T's stupid policy's when I returned the phone, like charging a restock fee even if it's defective. Since I refuse to get back in a contact with AT&T I'm going to try and purchase the RM-938 from B&H. Are there any discount codes around?

Edit: Also is it possible the reason for them being on backorder everywhere and one model on Negri showing as discontinued because they're refreshing the next batch to have 8.1 stock?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    No, I can't see this phone ever shipping with 8.1 preloaded. Nokia has never done this in the past. It's most likely just a supply/demand issue. This phone was not intended to cater to the US market.
    05-11-2014 01:19 PM
    Since I refuse to get back in a contact with AT&T I'm going to try and purchase the RM-938 from B&H.
    I've had one on order with B&H for a couple weeks. When I saw Negri change it's status on the black one to "discontinued", I fired off an email to B&H. I got a reply saying they would be getting some in before the end of the month.

05-11-2014 01:58 PM
    No, I can't see this phone ever shipping with 8.1 preloaded. Nokia has never done this in the past. It's most likely just a supply/demand issue. This phone was not intended to cater to the US market.
    New ownership under Microsoft, so it is possible now lol. But we'll see, I'm still waiting for mine too. My birthday gift to myself.
    05-11-2014 03:54 PM
    Got mine from negri this morning working great =D.
    When did you order? Still waiting on mine to ship.
    05-11-2014 03:58 PM
    When did you order? Still waiting on mine to ship.
    april 14
    AlexFirth91 likes this.
    05-11-2014 09:51 PM
    I've had the phone about a week now. Got it, updated to 8.1. Reset phone to do a backup. Phone works great, except I only get H or H+ on ATT. I used to get LTE on my 920. Do I need to call or chat with ATT to get settings changed. I'm not having any bugs happen. Only thing that happened on the second day was ATT canceled my data plan. They threw me on some pay as I go plan, so I called the store I got my nano sim from. They told me my data had somehow got reset, so they flipped it back on.
    This is what my situation is, and ATT won't even attempt to set it right in their system, the just want me to buy one of the ATT gimped versions.
    05-12-2014 05:56 AM
    To those people that bought the rm-938, make sure to go to wpcentral main site to get the instruction on how to get free $25 dollar microsoft gift card voucher. I got mine. It only applies on 1020,1520 and icon.
    Gift Voucher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanks! This worked on my 938 & my wife's 940!
    05-12-2014 06:13 AM
    So, finally got a 1520.3 from a member here (thanks nicz11!) and first thing I had problems with was 8.1 and internet sharing on ATT. 8.1 was already installed, tried the keyboard hack, no luck. In the end I just went back to 8.0 using the Nokia support tool, restored by backup and then applied the hack while on 8.0. Updated to 8.1 and now all is well! I sure hope they fix that before the official release as I think it's just problems with the initial configuration on the WP side since it worked fine after hard reset on 8.0. Maybe their missing carrier settings configuration in the preview.

One wonk thing since doing this all too. I can't get any apps to download or setup that require data connection, but if I use IE, pages load just fine. And it shows I have LTE.

Edit: Ok, fixed that problem by simply disabling automatic time updates.
    If I knew it was the time updates I'd have never done that reset, now I think I have a date with the support tool. Can you restore from backup after the fact? I want to get to 8.1 before restoring.
    Last edited by Kacey Green; 05-12-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    05-12-2014 06:20 AM
    Att wasn't liking my 1520.3 when I got it. Signal was up and down and wouldn't sync up. The att tech had to use a different imei #.
    They refused to do that for me
    05-12-2014 06:25 AM
    I had heard that some had trouble with their IMEI to register at AT&T. When I got my 1520.3, I just cut my microsim to nano. I couldn't get my visual voicemail to work, so I went to an AT&T store to see if they could activate it. They replaced the sim with a new one and she keyed in my imei on her corporate tablet. I made sure that it was registering LTE and all is good.
    05-12-2014 09:05 AM
    I take every possible good sign to heart. Negri has changed the status of the black model from "discontinued" to "back ordered."

05-12-2014 12:05 PM
    If I knew it was the time updates I'd have never done that reset, now I think I have a date with the support tool. Can you restore from backup after the fact? I want to get to 8.1 before restoring.
    As far as I can tell, there is no way to restore the start screen and app data without performing a hard reset and that's a big no no in 8.1 if you want to keep internet sharing. Maybe this will be corrected in the final release, but for now the best you can do is restore apps, settings, sms, etc. during initial setup in 8.0, add Spanish keyboard, then upgrade to 8.1 and redo your start screen. It's annoying, but that's how it is for now.
    Kacey Green likes this.
    05-12-2014 12:50 PM
    As far as I can tell, there is no way to restore the start screen and app data without performing a hard reset and that's a big no no in 8.1 if you want to keep internet sharing. Maybe this will be corrected in the final release, but for now the best you can do is restore apps, settings, sms, etc. during initial setup in 8.0, add Spanish keyboard, then upgrade to 8.1 and redo your start screen. It's annoying, but that's how it is for now.
    So what is the right sequence from the time you open the box if you'd like internet sharing and 8.1?

05-12-2014 02:25 PM
    So what is the right sequence from the time you open the box if you'd like internet sharing and 8.1?

The keys are to (1) get it working in 8.0 before updating to 8.1 and (2) not to hard reset once running 8.1. If it's working in 8.0, it will continue to work in 8.1 unless you hard reset the phone (by going into settings > about > reset phone).

1. Perform initial setup out of the box however you'd like (restore backup or don't, it's up to you)
    2. Go to settings > keyboard and remove the non-English keyboards and add the Spanish (Spain) keyboard. After download is complete your phone will ask you to install the update. Confirm and the phone will reboot and install the update for the keyboard. Internet sharing should be working at this point. You can remove the Spanish keyboard from your keyboard list at this point if you want to and it won't effect the internet sharing.
    3. Install Preview for Developers and update to WP8.1. Internet sharing should continue to work now in 8.1.
    TechoGeek likes this.
    05-12-2014 03:07 PM
    I used the nokia software recovery and rolled back to 8.0, did the keyboard trick and re-updated to 8, my backup was from April as 8.1 backups are not compatible, re-installing the apps I want from the my apps section of the store, everything working as expected, haven't had a problem with the clock but I'll keep an eye on it
    05-12-2014 03:17 PM
1,509 ... 2526272829 ...