Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

tsobol

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Also just to add, screen sensitivity is set to 'normal' and both glance and double tap are on.

Kinda bummed I have the tap/swipe bug, but I'm trying to tell myself that it's not that bad since it's occasional. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it either. I appreciate the suggestions though.

You'll get used to it, i "almost" did. I've turned off glance and double tap - it helped but not completely. I read the other day in Nokia's support forum that some have uninstalled the glance and touch from their device (!?!) - and informed that it resolved the tap\swipe problem. a bit drastic for me but comforting to logically realize that the problem might be software and not hardware. If you are interested i can find it again and post here the link to the thread.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You'll get used to it, i "almost" did. I've turned off glance and double tap - it helped but not completely. I read the other day in Nokia's support forum that some have uninstalled the glance and touch from their device (!?!) - and informed that it resolved the tap\swipe problem. a bit drastic for me but comforting to logically realize that the problem might be software and not hardware. If you are interested i can find it again and post here the link to the thread.

Yeah I think you're right about getting used to it. It's not that frequent, but it's in the back of your head while you're using the phone... "will it happen now?" Then it doesn't. Then you forget about it because everything is working perfectly and then "dough!" It's just a bit of an occasional nuisance, nothing more. I saw that thread about uninstalling touch and glance. Honestly, doing all that would make it not worth it to me. I'd go back to my 920. I enjoy the glance feature too much.

I'll give it a fair shake. I think getting used to the size may be the bigger issue coming from the mindless one-handability (new word) of my 920.

I also need to figure out whether I want to stay with T-Mobile. It's generally pretty "good" here in the DC area, relative to other parts of the country. But despite having 2 bars of HSPA at work, I don't get a data connection. Data is fast when I do have it (LTE at home), but it might be worth the throttled speeds of AIO or other AT&T MVNOS in exchange for solid coverage everywhere.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I also need to figure out whether I want to stay with T-Mobile. It's generally pretty "good" here in the DC area, relative to other parts of the country. But despite having 2 bars of HSPA at work, I don't get a data connection. Data is fast when I do have it (LTE at home), but it might be worth the throttled speeds of AIO or other AT&T MVNOS in exchange for solid coverage everywhere.

You should seriously consider getting a FREE signal booster from T-Mobile. If you call and ask for one, they will send you to the warranty department. Then tell them you get a signal at a window but not once you move into the interior. The will send you a Cel-Fi RS2 which retails for over $500. It works great. I work in an interior cubical and now I get a great signal. That's why I want Internet Sharing to work if I ever manage to get a 1520. I'm typing this on my iPad through my Note 2's connection. Do it!!ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1398964023.872405.jpg

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You should seriously consider getting a FREE signal booster from T-Mobile. If you call and ask for one, they will send you to the warranty department. Then tell them you get a signal at a window but not once you move into the interior. The will send you a Cel-Fi RS2 which retails for over $500. It works great. I work in an interior cubical and now I get a great signal. That's why I want Internet Sharing to work if I ever manage to get a 1520. I'm typing this on my iPad through my Note 2's connection. Do it!!View attachment 65194

This is a great tip, thank you. I'll look into it. How does this booster impact battery life?

So as it turned out, when my service was restored, it was with talk and text but no data -_-. That's why I wasn't getting data at the office this morning despite a few bars of HSPA. A bit annoying but re-adding data was painless... just took a quick phone call. Enjoyed plenty of video streaming outside on my 1520 with unlimited LTE during lunch today :smile:

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
It improves battery life because searching and trying to maintain a connection with a weak signal increases battery drain. It's good enough that I'm going to drop the $50 I'm paying for 6gb of LTE to Verizon on my iPad, and pay $20 more to T -Mobile for unlimited 4G. That means HSPA+ instead of LTE in my office, but it's good nuff to stream video if I want. Now I just want NewEgg to get my phone in stock!!!

tsobol

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I think you're right about getting used to it. It's not that frequent, but it's in the back of your head while you're using the phone... "will it happen now?" Then it doesn't. Then you forget about it because everything is working perfectly and then "dough!" It's just a bit of an occasional nuisance, nothing more. I saw that thread about uninstalling touch and glance. Honestly, doing all that would make it not worth it to me. I'd go back to my 920. I enjoy the glance feature too much.

I'll give it a fair shake. I think getting used to the size may be the bigger issue coming from the mindless one-handability (new word) of my 920.

One of the main reasons to get this amazing device is its size and big screen (among other features and capabilities), so it is a bit surprising that only now you are coping with this dilemma.... no doubt that the 920 is great, but getting old (and small.... (-: ). The 1520 is like a small tablet \ simple computer in my pocket serves my professional and personal needs - great for reading... - of course this is how i see things..

As for the carrier, you must not compromise. good service is basic!

teranceo

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Is it me, or is this device no longer available? Negri and Newegg have delisted it.

I don't see it when searching. It still shows up using the direct link to the product but it shows out of stock. B&H shows the black one available for shipping in 7-10 days but I don't know if that's the same model.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't see it when searching. It still shows up using the direct link to the product but it shows out of stock. B&H shows the black one available for shipping in 7-10 days but I don't know if that's the same model.

I think if you look up several messages, people have confirmed in phone conversations the the B &H phone is the 938 but there is some wrong information on their listing; however, that 7 - 10 days thing is suspect.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Mine is from B&H. Looks like stock is drying up everywhere.

AlexFirth91

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Ouch that sucks, although I'm in a similar predicament. My 1520.3 I ordered from Negri the 27th was the white backordered, but now its processing. I hope it arrives before June. :amaze::sweaty:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I never seem to get more than 2-3 bars of anything while on T-Mobile, whether it's LTE or HSPA. And I haven't tried the device with any other carrier. Is this normal?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I never seem to get more than 2-3 bars of anything while on T-Mobile, whether it's LTE or HSPA. And I haven't tried the device with any other carrier. Is this normal?
Interesting. I don't know. I get my usual spotty coverage in the house with T-Mobile (1-2 bars lte).

Can you post some speed test numbers?

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I notice that the phone gets consistently fewer bars than did my 925. Doesn't seem to affect its ability to make calls or get data, but it is sort of unnerving.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one. I guess it isn't an indication of signal strength after all if all the phones have this? Perhaps the signal indicator on the phone is on a different scale. I noticed the battery indicator on the top right is on a different scale than my 920. Even if the battery is at 99%, the battery icon won't show as fully charged like it does when the battery is at 100%.

Just ran two speed tests. First one with 2 bars of LTE, second with 3 bars.

Test 1: 14.07 up, 10.48 down, 101 ping
Test 2: 21.1 up, 8.17 down, 98 ping

*Edit: Walked around a bit around my building and it did hit 4 bars for a sec. So at least I know it's capable of displaying it lol.

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone about a week now. Got it, updated to 8.1. Reset phone to do a backup. Phone works great, except I only get H or H+ on ATT. I used to get LTE on my 920. Do I need to call or chat with ATT to get settings changed. I'm not having any bugs happen. Only thing that happened on the second day was ATT canceled my data plan. They threw me on some pay as I go plan, so I called the store I got my nano sim from. They told me my data had somehow got reset, so they flipped it back on.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone about a week now. Got it, updated to 8.1. Reset phone to do a backup. Phone works great, except I only get H or H+ on ATT. I used to get LTE on my 920. Do I need to call or chat with ATT to get settings changed. I'm not having any bugs happen. Only thing that happened on the second day was ATT canceled my data plan. They threw me on some pay as I go plan, so I called the store I got my nano sim from. They told me my data had somehow got reset, so they flipped it back on.

Likely it's the IMEI number. AT&T isn't recognizing it as a LTE device. Your 920 was. This is hindsight, but next time use a nanosim cutter and throw that into your new phone. That way, no messing around with AT&T multiple times to get your LTE back.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one. I guess it isn't an indication of signal strength after all if all the phones have this? Perhaps the signal indicator on the phone is on a different scale. I noticed the battery indicator on the top right is on a different scale than my 920. Even if the battery is at 99%, the battery icon won't show as fully charged like it does when the battery is at 100%.

Just ran two speed tests. First one with 2 bars of LTE, second with 3 bars.

Test 1: 14.07 up, 10.48 down, 101 ping
Test 2: 21.1 up, 8.17 down, 98 ping

*Edit: Walked around a bit around my building and it did hit 4 bars for a sec. So at least I know it's capable of displaying it lol.

That's actually not bad speeds and pings for 2 bars. Also anything around 100ms or less is good enough for VOIP calls. One thing T-mobile is good for is low latency on their network. I typically get around 80ms ping and I think that's great.