03-04-2015 10:11 AM
1,509 ... 4041424344 ...
tools
    Internet sharing engaged....it's Cortana time! Here goes...
    I have T-Mobile too. Internet sharing works, however when I use the hotspot from my laptop or iPod I get redirected to a web page telling me to add the mobile hotspot on my plan.

Have you actually used internet sharing from a device that's connected, and been able to browse the web? I'm just curious.

Go Spurs.
    06-05-2014 10:59 PM
    I noted earlier that I had purchased the Incipio NGP case. I put it on today and I'm a little disappointed at the fit. Part of the yellow body can be seen at the top but not the bottom. It seems just a little loose. It will do for now but I may go with something else eventually.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
    06-05-2014 11:05 PM
    I have T-Mobile too. Internet sharing works, however when I use the hotspot from my laptop or iPod I get redirected to a web page telling me to add the mobile hotspot on my plan.

Have you actually used internet sharing from a device that's connected, and been able to browse the web? I'm just curious.

Go Spurs.
    Well, I successfully connected with the iPad but I didn't open the browser. I'd check for you but 8.1 is downloading as I type.

Go Spurs--don't need no stinkin a/c. :-)

06-05-2014 11:08 PM
    So I've had the 1520 for 2 days now and overall its definitely an impressive device. The screen is very good, my start screen stands out like never before. Handling the phone in one hand is not optimal for me but I've adapted to the size and quite like it for browsing and watching videos. Unfortunately my device has the touch sensitivity issue quite bad, had to turn off high sensitivity but still get miscues frequently. Very disappointing and pretty poor from nokia not to have fixed this by now.

Also have had the device spontaneously reboot twice. Battery life is hit and miss, seems to run down quickly to about 40% then stabilizes. Got tethering working under 8.0 before updating and it still works fine. Compared to my 1020 its noticeably faster but even with the extra power some apps still chug, like Tapatalk. Using an illumishield screen protector which feels good, and the Amzer pudding case (Black) but may change that as it can be a bit slippery at times.

Overall its a great phone just with a few niggling issues for me, looking forward to getting the official update on it.
    mister2d and dclaryjr like this.
    06-05-2014 11:36 PM
    Well, I successfully connected with the iPad but I didn't open the browser. I'd check for you but 8.1 is downloading as I type.

Go Spurs--don't need no stinkin a/c. :-)

Yeah as soon as you can let me know if you get redirected to a T-Mobile web page. It could be that I'm a prepaid customer.
    06-05-2014 11:39 PM
    Update done! And I tried a speed test on my iPad using Internet Sharing.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/867856549

06-05-2014 11:45 PM
    Make that 3 spontaneous reboots now. Anyone experiencing this on 8.1 or even 8.0?
    06-06-2014 06:34 AM
    I was up an hour past my normal bedtime getting the 8.1 updates, but all appears to have gone well. I'm at work and my iPad is working well with the Internet Sharing. The network indicator is saying 3G most of the time and flashes H+ on occaisson, but I'm getting decent enough bandwidth to still stream audio and video. I have to keep a timesheet at work to track the projects I'm on. Today's entry will be "Training on new communications/networking device." :-)

06-06-2014 07:02 AM
    Here's a pic that shows what I was saying about the Incipio case--the coverage around the edges is uneven. I haven't had a chance to play with the home screen much. I still need to transfer pics and ringtones from my old phone. imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1402056489.804641.jpg

06-06-2014 07:08 AM
    This is what having a Unicorn is all about. Now getting a consistent HSPA+ signal. I still need to go upstairs to the balcony where the LTE signal lives, and see if that works. imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1402065972.095655.jpg

06-06-2014 09:47 AM
    Make that 3 spontaneous reboots now. Anyone experiencing this on 8.1 or even 8.0?
    Not I.
    06-06-2014 10:37 AM
    Wait i thought it should work flawless out of the box with t mobile. What settings do you need to change.
    It should have but thankfully I went through this with my Samsung ATIV S so I fixed the only setting that needed changing.
    06-06-2014 11:39 AM
    This is what having a Unicorn is all about. Now getting a consistent HSPA+ signal. I still need to go upstairs to the balcony where the LTE signal lives, and see if that works. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1402065972.095655.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	68490

I too sometimes get H+ but mostly 3G witch checks out as T-Mobile 4G. I have drive up the road about 4 miles and I get LTE. I live in the everglades so LTE has not made it to my house. Aligators yes, LTE no.
    06-06-2014 11:42 AM
    Not I.
    no reboots for me
    06-06-2014 11:42 AM
    I was up an hour past my normal bedtime getting the 8.1 updates, but all appears to have gone well. I'm at work and my iPad is working well with the Internet Sharing. The network indicator is saying 3G most of the time and flashes H+ on occaisson, but I'm getting decent enough bandwidth to still stream audio and video. I have to keep a timesheet at work to track the projects I'm on. Today's entry will be "Training on new communications/networking device." :-)

That is what I was talking about in my last post. Non T-Mobile branded phones see T-Mobiles as 3G but it runs the same speed as T-Mobile 4G. At T-Mobile they jokingly refer to 4G as 3.5G
    06-06-2014 11:45 AM
    That is what I was talking about in my last post. Non T-Mobile branded phones see T-Mobiles as 3G but it runs the same speed as T-Mobile 4G. At T-Mobile they jokingly refer to 4G as 3.5G
    Yep, even when I get the 3G signal, I'm getting HSPA+ speeds (although on the lower end). I'm just surprised I get the H+ designator sometimes. I did go upstairs and confirmed I get LTE, so I deem this a fully functional Unicorn.

On another subject, I'm quite impressed with the battery life. If I ran the hotspot on my Note 2 without charge all morning, it would be sitting about 20-25% by now. I'm still at 70%! I plopped it on the Qi charger just to make sure it worked, but I'm just going to let it run to see how long it takes to get to 30% or so. At that point I'll charge it.

06-06-2014 12:02 PM
    No reboots for me.
    06-06-2014 01:45 PM
    I dedicate my first background image to TechyMexican for starting this over 1000 posts ago!!imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1402081424.509193.jpg

mister2d likes this.
    06-06-2014 02:03 PM
    Just wanted to post that I picked up the Poetic case today and I am extremely impressed.
    Much better than the photos on Amazon... they don't do it justice.
    Make the phone much more easier to carry when I was having second thoughts about the size.

Also got the Amzer and Nillkin but have stuck with the Poetic for now
    06-06-2014 10:59 PM
    Just wanted to post that I picked up the Poetic case today and I am extremely impressed.
    Make the phone much more easier to carry when I was having second thoughts about the size.

That Poetic case does look nice. It also has a 3 year warranty? Wow, that's quality right there.

I have the white Nilkin slim case, but I'm also ordering a nice premium case from Mozo (Finland). I will definitely post pics.
    06-06-2014 11:44 PM

Which poetic did you order? I have the Incipio NGP and love the feel but Im not to keen about the fit. I need something that doesn't add much to the size since I'm using a holster case.

I'm on day three and still have not run into any major issues with the phone, minus a few phantom clicks every now and then when I'm typing fast. I plan on going through all the preinstalled apps and really test the camera this weekend. So far I'm totally happy with the phone. The UI is blazing fast and because of that the multitasking is amazing. If anyone is wondering I'm still on 8.0.
    06-07-2014 12:01 AM
    Any recommendations for a screen protector for the Lumia 1520? Are the edges of the screen curved?

Is it possible to configure the Lumia 1520 to be used as a tablet? I'm thinking of keeping my Nexus 5 as my main device and then just order another sim card that will ultimately be using data that's already allocated from my phone plan for the Lumia 1520. Will this be possible through either AT&T or T-Mobile? Are there any specific settings that I would need?
    06-07-2014 07:10 AM
    So far, so good! I loaded up 55GB of music and a bunch of pics last night. The music app seems to work just fine. The only glitch I have had so is when I tapped a pic to add to the home screen, it started rapidly moving back and forth between different albums in the pics folder. I went back to home screen and tried again, and all was fine. I wasn't too crazy about having to use the PC to put some old ringtones on the phone (that I had already loaded on the SD card) but not a big deal. No problems with tap/swipe sensitivity. Happy camper!

06-07-2014 08:38 AM
    Which poetic did you order? I have the Incipio NGP and love the feel but Im not to keen about the fit.
    Ditto. I've ordered the Nillkin but I'm open to suggestions.

06-07-2014 08:40 AM

mister2d,
    I'm on T-Mobile too. I had an initial problem with Internet Sharing (on my device, I would get a pop-up stating my current plan doesn't support Wifi Hotspot/Tether (my plan actually does...)). Anyway, when I initially set up my device (during this initial set up, I did multiple Hard Resets because I was learning how the phone worked), I did it without my SIM Card inserted (I ended up cutting it down and inserting ~24 hours after I initially set up my phone). I could never get Internet Sharing to work. So, I ended up hard resetting my phone (this time with SIM inserted). After the initial screens, I did the Spanish Keyboard trick and Internet Sharing has been working great since. As posted earlier in this thread (by Rhoyz), here are the exact steps I took:

My steps were:

1.) Uninstall Spanish ( Mexico) Keyboard
    2.) Reboot Phone
    3.) Install Spanish (Spain) keyboard
    4.) Reboot Phone (just to be safe)
    5.) Turn on Internet Sharing

Cheers,
    Justin
    06-07-2014 12:09 PM
1,509 ... 4041424344 ...