03-04-2015 10:11 AM
1,509 ... 5758596061
tools
    I wish I could turn this table into a giant Qi charging pad, and that all my devices would work on it.imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1408923967.753910.jpg
    08-24-2014 06:46 PM
    That's not true. I know even some stores say that but another member had his repaired by Nokia US so I used Nokia US' warranty checker and my 1520.3 IMEI says its under warranty in the US.
    Could you name "said" user that had their phone repaired by Nokia US? I almost sent mine to them for repairs, but my 920s sim slot got messed up by an adapter. I haven't fixed it as I didn't think they'd don the repair. If I can find out they will for sure, I'll get a move on fixing it so that I'm not without a phone.
    08-25-2014 02:19 AM
    I used that Location-based feature with Cortana today. I asked to be reminded to do something when I got home, and about 10'seconds after walking in the door, she did just that! Cool AND practical!
    hasasimo and ChuckOp like this.
    08-25-2014 09:55 PM
    Could you name "said" user that had their phone repaired by Nokia US? I almost sent mine to them for repairs, but my 920s sim slot got messed up by an adapter. I haven't fixed it as I didn't think they'd don the repair. If I can find out they will for sure, I'll get a move on fixing it so that I'm not without a phone.
    That turned out to be not true. Someone posted in a 1520 thread that he got his repaired. Then later when questioned he said he has a 1320. The user was Sgtxxxx or Ssgtxxxx. But the Nokia US IMEI check for coverage says my 1520.3 is under US warranty.

As for the sim slot being messed up. I had the same thing happen to my 925. I took it to a repair shop and they said Nokia would ALMOST certainly fix it under warranty. But the shop fixed it for $20 while I waited. Was so happy to get it done fast that I gave the guy a 100% tip. LoL It had a broken and a bent pin from a nano-SIM adapter getting hung up on them.
    08-26-2014 08:41 AM
    Just had a very random camera launch on my 1520 while writing a text message. I've read that touch issues on the 1520 progressively get worse with time, but this never happened before the 8.1/Cyan update. Definitely hope it was a one-off.
    08-26-2014 02:02 PM
    That turned out to be not true. Someone posted in a 1520 thread that he got his repaired. Then later when questioned he said he has a 1320. The user was Sgtxxxx or Ssgtxxxx. But the Nokia US IMEI check for coverage says my 1520.3 is under US warranty.

As for the sim slot being messed up. I had the same thing happen to my 925. I took it to a repair shop and they said Nokia would ALMOST certainly fix it under warranty. But the shop fixed it for $20 while I waited. Was so happy to get it done fast that I gave the guy a 100% tip. LoL It had a broken and a bent pin from a nano-SIM adapter getting hung up on them.
    Ah, ok. Thanks a lot for detailing out the specifics for me. I'll probably take it by a repair shop by me this weekend and get it done, then make the attempt to send it to Nokia US for repairs. I did question the folks at customer service for Nokia and they simply asked if I purchased it in the US and if so, I should be fine. Guess we'll see as it wouldn't be the first time a customer service rep gave bad info (or knew exactly what they were talking about).
    08-26-2014 09:05 PM
    does tethering still work with the Spanish keyboard trick after Cyan installed?
    09-10-2014 02:32 AM
    I've been getting some random camera launches lately. I'm not positive yet but I think it only happens when I have WhatsApp open. This has never been an issue before, but has certainly happened a couple of times over the past few days. Just did a soft reset and will report back.
    09-11-2014 10:06 AM
    does tethering still work with the Spanish keyboard trick after Cyan installed?
    It works fine for me on T-Mobile.
    09-13-2014 08:31 AM
    One thing I've noticed over time is that I got a better signal and data throughput on T-Mobile with my Note. I (and other phone geeks at work) refer to out restrooms as hotspots because the data signal in the stall by the wall was good. It's not nearly as good with the 1520. It's not that big of a deal but it's noticeable.
    09-13-2014 08:36 AM
    One thing I've noticed over time is that I got a better signal and data throughput on T-Mobile with my Note. I (and other phone geeks at work) refer to out restrooms as hotspots because the data signal in the stall by the wall was good. It's not nearly as good with the 1520. It's not that big of a deal but it's noticeable.
    I noticed that my wife's 925 gets better signals than my 1520.3. FYI It is in the process of being replaced for another problem which I don't think affected the signal strength. Maybe the metal band acts as or helps the built in antenna.
    09-13-2014 10:10 AM
    I've been using the cr-201 as a car mount for my 1520.3. Works pretty well as far as charging, but it presses on the camera button in order to grip the phone. Now I've noticed that my camera button doesn't work anymore. Also, today my power button isn't working (that's not affected by the car mount). Is anyone experiencing problems with their power/camera buttons?
    09-13-2014 05:56 PM
    Mobile sharing isnt working any more. I hadnt tried in a month or so, but on a trip recently and it wont work. It keeps telling me my plan doesnt allow it, even though it does. I called Tmo to confirm.

Help?

Lumia 1520.3, Tmobile, 8.1 DP, Black firmware
    09-14-2014 06:29 PM
    The Unicorn is NOT covered under Nokia US Warranty. I've had issues with my power button and camera button not working. I put in my IMEI in the nokia website, something I know others on this forum have done, and it says it's under warranty. Nokia sent me a shipping label to ship my phone. I did so. They notified me when they received it which was nice. But now they're shipping it back to me without fixing the issue with this message:

"This product is not covered by the Nokia USA limited warranty as the device was not

designed for the US market. We do not have the capability to repair devices that were not

designed for the US market. Please check the warranty information that was included with

your device and / or contact your point of purchase."
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-24-2014 02:37 PM
    We do not have the capability to repair devices that were not

designed for the US market.
    What a crock! It's one thing to say that their policy is to not repair devices not intended for the US market, but this is BS. The buttons work the same no matter the variant.
    09-24-2014 10:41 PM
    The Unicorn is NOT covered under Nokia US Warranty. I've had issues with my power button and camera button not working. I put in my IMEI in the nokia website, something I know others on this forum have done, and it says it's under warranty. Nokia sent me a shipping label to ship my phone. I did so. They notified me when they received it which was nice. But now they're shipping it back to me without fixing the issue with this message:

"This product is not covered by the Nokia USA limited warranty as the device was not

designed for the US market. We do not have the capability to repair devices that were not

designed for the US market. Please check the warranty information that was included with

your device and / or contact your point of purchase."
    I'd raise hell if I were you.
    09-24-2014 10:44 PM
    I'm sure they know how many 1520.3 units are being activated and used in the US...

​Not sure who you appeal that to if not the seller.
    09-25-2014 09:07 AM
    I'm not sure if I'm being shafted or not. Common sense says, of course they should be able to fix the issue. It's pretty much the same phone as the US variant, minus wireless charging. But from my little research it looks like this is how warranties work. Company's want you to buy the their products from your locality and the warranties are tied to the locality. On my 1520.3 it's a Nokia in Mexico.

I'll do a little more research and see. I'll probably just send the phone to their Nokia Certified phone repair folks in Alabama. They tell me it will cost about $88 plus the cost of shipping the phone back. But that's IF they can fix it. Otherwise it's $15 for a 'diagnostic fee'. I used them when my wife's 1020 screen broke. I haven't had issues with it. If they can't fix it, I'll be moving on to something else.

I guess the lesson here is if you're going to buy an international phone consider getting those Square Trade protection plans. They cover everything although I find them pricey (about $70 for a year) and you still have to pay a deductible each time you use it. Something like $75 or something like that in addition. If the folks in Alabama can fix my phone it'll be cheaper than that. But it might be worth it for whoever is reading this and thinking about buying international variants.
    09-25-2014 10:25 AM
    Between myself and my wife, we've never warrantied a device and only used insurance once (she likes to carry insurance, I don't).

I figure I'll be fine on my 1520.3 in the US or pay out of pocket if something does go wrong...

You do have some valuable insights for those who might be considering a 1520.3, ezeuzo 1.
    09-25-2014 11:04 AM
    Between myself and my wife, we've never warrantied a device and only used insurance once (she likes to carry insurance, I don't).

I figure I'll be fine on my 1520.3 in the US or pay out of pocket if something does go wrong...

You do have some valuable insights for those who might be considering a 1520.3, ezeuzo 1.
    I'm guessing you will be. Seems like a one off issue. I haven't heard of anyone else (frustrating) having the same issues. I don't get insurance either on electronics. It's nice to have but feels like you're getting played. Paying for something you won't use. Until you have to use then you're glad you have it. But you probably won't use it...yeah.
    09-25-2014 11:18 AM
    Has anyone just sent their 1520.3 to Nokia in Mexico for warranty repair?

My first 1520.3 went bad at about 5 or 6 weeks. B&H just sent me another new one since they have a 3 month warranty. That was the main reason I went with B&H over Newegg. Newegg only offered a 1 month warranty. That and they made you accept a term that technically meant you couldn't return it under any circumstances.

And if you are buying a phone with no warranty in your country, think about 3rd party insurance and buy it with a credit card that extends the seller's warranty.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-25-2014 01:24 PM
    Has anyone just sent their 1520.3 to Nokia in Mexico for warranty repair?

My first 1520.3 went bad at about 5 or 6 weeks. B&H just sent me another new one since they have a 3 month warranty. That was the main reason I went with B&H over Newegg. Newegg only offered a 1 month warranty. That and they made you accept a term that technically meant you couldn't return it under any circumstances.

And if you are buying a phone with no warranty in your country, think about 3rd party insurance and buy it with a credit card that extends the seller's warranty.
    From my research I get the idea that you can't send it to another country where the warranty lies. You'd have to actually go to Mexico to get it fixed.
    09-25-2014 03:38 PM
    From my research I get the idea that you can't send it to another country where the warranty lies. You'd have to actually go to Mexico to get it fixed.
    I don't believe that. People do travel. It would not be good business to tell your customer who happens to be in Europe or the US that they have to come home to Mexico to get their phone fixed.

I think the reason warranties are geographically limited is because they are separate businesses. Money for repairing phones in a market are set aside from the sales of those phones. So Nokia Mexico or whatever its called has the money to repair the 1520.3s sold by them including the ones sold to B&H. Nokia US didn't see a dime of the money for the sale of those 1520.3s so isn't about to fix them. But I think Nokia Mexico SHOULD be happy to.
    09-25-2014 06:27 PM
    I paid Square Trade around $100 for TWO years of coverage. I had bought several SQ warranties without ever having to use them, so I didn't buy one when I bought the Note 2. I wasn't going to buy any more warranties but I decided to buy one on this phone when the question of their warranty was in doubt. I hope I don't have to use it, but glad I bought it.
    09-25-2014 08:28 PM
    A repeat of post #1153

Good deal! My only regret in this whole process was canceling my B&H order and going with NewEgg. By the way, Square Trade has been sending out 40% off codes for their warranty. I decided to get one and it came out to $92 with Texas sales tax for two years of full coverage. They've dropped their deductible to $75. I originally decided I wasn't going to because I bought warranties on five Android phones that I've never used (Nexus/Note); however, there's been enough speculation about the status of the Nokia warranty on the 1520.3 that I decided better safe than sorry.
    09-25-2014 08:33 PM
1,509 ... 5758596061