Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little bit curious about the specs on the Newegg 1520 as it says "T-Mobile 2G" and then just says "4G: LTE" - does that mean it gets LTE and 2G but not anything in between (ie 3G or HSPA+)? That seems like a step backwards compared to the AT&T version in that regard? Or maybe it's just not a very great spec description....

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz

UMTS 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
Compatible Carrier & Service
AT&T 2G/3G, T-Mobile 2G, Rogers, Fido
3G
AT&T 3G Only
4G
LTE

And does anyone know if data tethering works on T-Mobile using the RM-938?

That Newegg spec list is completely useless, it's actually AT&T's RM-940's specs. From the researches I've done, if you use the AT&T version on TM you'll either get LTE or 2G, if you use the RM-938 you can get 3G/4G. In post 83-87 of this thread you can see they got tethering to work on RM-938 on TM.

Last edited:

AkAdam

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
This looks too good to be true for T-mobile users! Especially if the tethering works properly after that keyboard trick. Does anyone know if the Wi-Fi Calling App from T-mobile will also work with this phone?? I'm very tempted to order this phone right now from Newegg.com!!! Just as a heads up, if you use Promo Code "VMEMADNESS" on Newegg's website and then pay using V.Me, they'll take off another $25 from your order of this phone. It's sitting in my cart right now showing as $594.99...but I think I'll wait til after April 2nd to order just in case Microsoft and Nokia announce a new Windows Phone 8.1 device for T-mobile at that time. I'm really hoping that leaked "Nokia Monarch" is a Lumia 930, or higher, variant for T-mobile.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
This looks too good to be true for T-mobile users! Especially if the tethering works properly after that keyboard trick. Does anyone know if the Wi-Fi Calling App from T-mobile will also work with this phone?? I'm very tempted to order this phone right now from Newegg.com!!! Just as a heads up, if you use Promo Code "VMEMADNESS" on Newegg's website and then pay using V.Me, they'll take off another $25 from your order of this phone. It's sitting in my cart right now showing as $594.99...but I think I'll wait til after April 2nd to order just in case Microsoft and Nokia announce a new Windows Phone 8.1 device for T-mobile at that time. I'm really hoping that leaked "Nokia Monarch" is a Lumia 930, or higher, variant for T-mobile.

Thanks a lot for the heads up, I reordered from Newegg at $595!

AkAdam

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Great! Glad to help. Let us know when you get it setup and if there was anything special you had to do besides popping in a SIM card to get it to run on T-mobile's network.

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I also ordered a white 938 from Newegg late last night - looking forward to having it up and running on T-Mobile when I get back into the States from living in South America. Now I noticed that the 1520.3 no longer shows up in the search results if you search Newegg.com but it is still "in stock" when you go directly to the link (I had it in my history). Newegg.com - Nokia Lumia 1520.3 Blanco/White 3G 4G LTE Quad-Core 2.2GHz Unlocked Cell Phone (US LTE Bands)

That's a bit weird and makes it harder for people to find it if they're just searching Newegg on your own for the device. I guess that's one benefit of being on the forums!

eyzae

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Anybody know how to get Newegg.com to deliver to Canada? If I switch to the Canadian site for Newegg.com (Newegg.ca), the Lumia 1520.3 doesn't show up :(

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I can still search for 1520.3 on the US site, the Canadian Newegg appears to have a very limited selection of unlocked smartphones.

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Got my device from Newegg yesterday. It is the rm-938. Everything Works fine except the device force feedback (vibration). It doesnt vibrate nor have a haptic feedback. I will Exchange it.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Got my device from Newegg yesterday. It is the rm-938. Everything Works fine except the device force feedback (vibration). It doesnt vibrate nor have a haptic feedback. I will Exchange it.

Before you send it back, can you test to see if the keyboard hack allows tethering on TM, assuming you are using it on TM. Thanks.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So, the rm-938 has been confirmed to work with ATT.... to include internet sharing? Think I'm going to sell my ATT version for the one from newegg.

Never mind, found the answer on post 84. :)

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about hocking my own 32gb AT&T version in favor of this one, but is it truly only a 30-day warranty? That's a heck of a price tag to pay on something that's only guaranteed for a month. I realize I could go 3rd-party with Squaretrade or something similar, but that adds to an already hefty pricetag just for carrier-independent updates and the convenience of Qi.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, no, Wi-Fi calling won't work on this phone. That feature will only work for T-Mobile branded phones. Last summer, I somehow managed to get the Wi-Fi calling app on my unlocked 920 but it never worked.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
So, UPS tells me that my Newegg ordered RM-938 should be delivered today. As mentioned before, naturally the unicorn showed its face within a week or two of me breaking down and buying a 32GB RM-940. Which works fine, by the way, but I wanted a 938, darn it.

So, the question is:

Do I gazelle the 940, or do I move my burner sim to the 940 and carry two of them?

(The burner SIM used to reside in my 521, which was my iPod replacement. It just got bumped up to my 925, which was my main phone. The main reason I had the 521 was that it had the SD card slot, which my 925 distinctly does not. I also used the 521 as a mobile hotspot, which the 925 can do, but I've been unable to get that to work on T-Mo with my RM-540.)

I know; first world problem. I got more dollars than sense.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about hocking my own 32gb AT&T version in favor of this one, but is it truly only a 30-day warranty? That's a heck of a price tag to pay on something that's only guaranteed for a month. I realize I could go 3rd-party with Squaretrade or something similar, but that adds to an already hefty pricetag just for carrier-independent updates and the convenience of Qi.

If you have no problem using the RM940 that I wouldn't bother, I've tried the RM940 in my area on TM and find it's unacceptable to jump from 4G to 2G all the time, but if you are fine with it and you already gotten the 32GB version, then the only thing you'll gain is Qi. That Newegg 30 day warranty worries me, the phone clearly is not local so the standard one year manufacturer's warranty may not apply in the US, I paid using AMEX hoping that'll extend the warranty by one year.