Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

AkAdam

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have a feeling that the reason why these RM-938's have all of a sudden become available is because AT&T's exclusivity deal on the Lumia 1520 is about to end and Nokia has begun to produce this model for an upcoming T-mobile release sometime very soon? I really want this phone, but if T-mobile will release it officially with Wi-Fi calling enabled then I might just hold out and use the JUMP program to get this. UGH!! This is a tough decision!

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone found the RM-938 on Amazon? Want to use my Amazon card to pay for it as I spend the hard earned cash on my ATT 1520 : )

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the first sign of the end of the AT&T exclusivity deal was when all of those sketchy third party unlock sites were suddenly able to supply unlock codes for the AT&T locked 1520s.

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I also ordered a white 938 from Newegg late last night - looking forward to having it up and running on T-Mobile when I get back into the States from living in South America. Now I noticed that the 1520.3 no longer shows up in the search results if you search Newegg.com but it is still "in stock" when you go directly to the link (I had it in my history). Newegg.com - Nokia Lumia 1520.3 Blanco/White 3G 4G LTE Quad-Core 2.2GHz Unlocked Cell Phone (US LTE Bands)

That's a bit weird and makes it harder for people to find it if they're just searching Newegg on your own for the device. I guess that's one benefit of being on the forums!

Ian, I skimmed through the page and I'm not sure if anyone addressed this yet, but that Newegg spec page, if correct, means the phone will NOT get T-Mobile HSPA+ and that's why you're seeing "2g" only for T-Mobile. Now, if it's the RM-938, you will because it supports AWS (1700/2100) on HSPA+. I can confirm that mine does. Let's hope that Newegg spec page is wrong. I saw a few people say it was.

Also, I know you went with the one from Newegg, but your previous statement about the AT&T unlocked version isn't entirely correct: there is no change that will get you 3G/4G (non-LTE) on T-Mobile UNLESS you are in a 1900mhz refarmed area. I tried the AT&T variant and it hit "2g" much more often than my RM-938 does now.

Hope that helps,

​-Collin-

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Ian, I skimmed through the page and I'm not sure if anyone addressed this yet, but that Newegg spec page, if correct, means the phone will NOT get T-Mobile HSPA+ and that's why you're seeing "2g" only for T-Mobile. Now, if it's the RM-938, you will because it supports AWS (1700/2100) on HSPA+. I can confirm that mine does. Let's hope that Newegg spec page is wrong. I saw a few people say it was.

Also, I know you went with the one from Newegg, but your previous statement about the AT&T unlocked version isn't entirely correct: there is no change that will get you 3G/4G (non-LTE) on T-Mobile UNLESS you are in a 1900mhz refarmed area. I tried the AT&T variant and it hit "2g" much more often than my RM-938 does now.

Hope that helps,

​-Collin-

Hi Colin, it's my understanding that the specs aren't accurate. I believe other people that have gotten the phone from Newegg have it working on T-Mobile and they confirmed that it's the RM-938. I should be all good to go on T-Mobile when I get back into the States in a few weeks!

-Ian

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Of course it is.

I waited and waited for the RM-938 to arrive and finally gave up and bought an AT&T locked RM-940, and waited for a couple of weeks to get an unlock code. Of course as soon as I did that, the 938 shows up on Negri.

By the time I was done cussing, Negri was sold out, so I felt better about that. Then Newegg came around, and seeing how fast Negri had sold out, I just jumped, cursing that the yellow was already sold out.

So, now that I have my Black RM-938 from Newegg, of course they have the yellow back in stock.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

​-Collin-

Not only do the specs on Newegg's page give cause for concern, it turns out they're pretty much copied off the box they came in. So, who the heck knows what it'll actually do? It does show itself as an RM-938 in the About page, so there is that.

Since I live and work in refarmed areas, and those areas seem to have been refarmed specifically to make way for LTE, I don't really have any experience as to how it'll handle a non-refarmed area with HSPA+ on AWS.

But, because I'm stupid, I am currently carrying two activated 1520s (both on T-Mobile), an unlocked AT&T Black 940 with 32GB and a Newegg Black 938, so as I get around, I'll be able to offer more comparisons about which works where. It's easy to tell by feel which one is which, though. The AT&T model has those three little lobotomy holes on the back near the bottom.

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Not only do the specs on Newegg's page give cause for concern, it turns out they're pretty much copied off the box they came in. So, who the heck knows what it'll actually do? It does show itself as an RM-938 in the About page, so there is that.

Since I live and work in refarmed areas, and those areas seem to have been refarmed specifically to make way for LTE, I don't really have any experience as to how it'll handle a non-refarmed area with HSPA+ on AWS.

But, because I'm stupid, I am currently carrying two activated 1520s (both on T-Mobile), an unlocked AT&T Black 940 with 32GB and a Newegg Black 938, so as I get around, I'll be able to offer more comparisons about which works where. It's easy to tell by feel which one is which, though. The AT&T model has those three little lobotomy holes on the back near the bottom.

Hilarious, I did pretty much the same thing when I had two Lumia 1520s! I found very small pockets in my area (San Jose, CA) where the AT&T phone was on edge and the RM-938 read "H." It happened maybe twice inside a restaurant and on the freeway.

I'm just glad we have something for T-Mobile. I love them as a carrier, but their lack of support for WP saddens me. I dream of the Lumia 930 with WiFi calling :-(

-Collin-

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
For the Newegg ones, does it comes with Spanish keyboard preinstalled? Do you have to uninstall it and reinstall to make Tethering work? Can someone clarify the exact steps? Thanks in advance.

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
For the Newegg ones, does it comes with Spanish keyboard preinstalled? Do you have to uninstall it and reinstall to make Tethering work? Can someone clarify the exact steps? Thanks in advance.

My steps was :

1.) Uninstall Spanish ( Mexico) Keyboard
2.) Reboot Phone
3.) Install Spanish (Spain) keyboard
4.) Reboot Phone (just to be safe)
5.) Turn on Internet Sharing

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I returned the phone to Newegg because of a hardware issue (does not vibrate). I tried full reset and still doesn't work. I hope they replace it with the same 938 model.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have a feeling that the reason why these RM-938's have all of a sudden become available is because AT&T's exclusivity deal on the Lumia 1520 is about to end and Nokia has begun to produce this model for an upcoming T-mobile release sometime very soon? I really want this phone, but if T-mobile will release it officially with Wi-Fi calling enabled then I might just hold out and use the JUMP program to get this. UGH!! This is a tough decision!

It looks like this is the Latin America version of the phone. A couple years ago I got a Latin America Lumia 710 and it was fully compatble with both AT&T and T-Mobile and had no carrier branding.

grc7777

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
guys I wanted to know what data speed I can expect if I buy RM-937 version. I will be using T-Mobile (I stay in refarmed area).
I think $625 too expensive for RM-638 when I can get RM-637 at $515. I do know I wont be getting LTE speed but would like to know the difference between speeds using 937 and 938 models.

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
guys I wanted to know what data speed I can expect if I buy RM-937 version. I will be using T-Mobile (I stay in refarmed area).
I think $625 too expensive for RM-638 when I can get RM-637 at $515. I do know I wont be getting LTE speed but would like to know the difference between speeds using 937 and 938 models.

Do not buy RM-937 for use on T-Mobile. It won't get LTE at all and will only get 3G (or fake 4G) in refarmed areas with 1900MHz 3G.

If you want to save money you can get the AT&T version, it will do 4G on T-Mobile and will do 3G in refarmed areas with 1900MHz 3G but it won't do AWS 3G.

RM-938 is what you want for T-Mobile or for AT&T if you don't want a butchered phone. Fully supports 2G, 3G, and 4G on both TMO and AT&T.