Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I just got my Lumia 1520 RM938 from NewEgg.
I had ordered mine last Friday Morning & received it last night. I'm soooo happy to see 4G LTE on T-Mobile. I'm going to work in an hour so no time to "fix" the tethering problem.
Anyone waiting on the fence, it's the real deal. Now I'm posting my 1520 RM937 up for sale on Ebay.
Yeah Baby.

Could you please confirm a couple of things here?

1. On Newegg site it is called Lumia 1520.3. You call it rm-938. Is it the same thing?
2. Everyone here is talking about 32GB internal memory, however Newegg states it is 16GB. So which one is correct? Is it an error on their page?
3. Among the specs, listed at Newegg, I could not find any reference to wireless charging. Could you please confirm?
4. Warranty. So this phone is from outside the US, which means there is no warranty (except for 30 day Newegg warranty). Is this correct?
5. Newegg states it will have only 2G with T-Mobile. Is this another error?
6. Did you figure the tethering fix? Does it work now?

Thank you and other people in advance for response.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL - I am so on the fence but you talked me into it. I am just waiting to see if the price goes down some more 😊

Do it! You won't regret it. This is everything you wanted in a phone!. You want it now so when wp8.1 comes you'll already have the best phone to go withe the best OS!

notebookgrail

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

1. On Newegg site it is called Lumia 1520.3. You call it rm-938. Is it the same thing? Yes
2. Everyone here is talking about 32GB internal memory, however Newegg states it is 16GB. So which one is correct? Is it an error on their page? Newegg specs are wrong.
3. Among the specs, listed at Newegg, I could not find any reference to wireless charging. Could you please confirm? Yes, it has Qi wireless charging
4. Warranty. So this phone is from outside the US, which means there is no warranty (except for 30 day Newegg warranty). Is this correct? Yes
5. Newegg states it will have only 2G with T-Mobile. Is this another error? Yes, Newegg specs are wrong. This RM-838 is a latin america version which has 2G/3G/4G/LTE for both ATT and TMO.
6. Did you figure the tethering fix? Does it work now? It works by doing the spanish KB trick. - http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/268213-7.htm#post2433384

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Well, thank you much! It sounds great now. The final (and probably the biggest) question:

Is 1520 not too large? I understand different people will have different opinion, but what is the consensus?

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Hope someone at Nokia sees this thread and realizes that there is a market for unlocked off-contract devices with LTE bands of all the carriers (gsm ones anyway) with all the envisioned features of the device intact (I'm looking at you ATT).

This is with the hope of them making future devices like the Lumia 930 available with all the LTE bands and can be bought unlocked off-contract. If Nokia themselves release off-contract devices in the USA (through the MS store perhaps?), the limited supply and warranty problems would be taken care of.

Is 1520 not too large? I understand different people will have different opinion, but what is the consensus?

It is and it is not. From what I have seen here at WPC, the feeling of "it's too large"goes away after a week of using it and then 1520 owners can't seem to go back to a smaller phone! Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference and I highly recommend you to get a feel of one in your hand by going down to the nearest ATT/MSFT store.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

1. On Newegg site it is called Lumia 1520.3. You call it rm-938. Is it the same thing?
2. Everyone here is talking about 32GB internal memory, however Newegg states it is 16GB. So which one is correct? Is it an error on their page?
3. Among the specs, listed at Newegg, I could not find any reference to wireless charging. Could you please confirm?
4. Warranty. So this phone is from outside the US, which means there is no warranty (except for 30 day Newegg warranty). Is this correct?
5. Newegg states it will have only 2G with T-Mobile. Is this another error?
6. Did you figure the tethering fix? Does it work now?

1. 1520.3 and rm 938 is the samething. this is what newegg sells. i purchased it from them.

2. The 1520.3 (or rm-938) that newegg sells ships with 32gb's the website specs are wrong. i purchased, i can CONFIRM!

3. The 1520.3 (or rm-938) that new egg sells ships with QI WIRELESS CHARGING. i purchased this device. i can CONFIRM.

4. Newegg offers 30 day. I AM NOT SURE but its seems safe to think nokia would honor any hardware warranty that accompanies the purchase of their device. A purchase is a purchase. no matter where on earth you purchased.

5. The 1520.3 (or rm-938) HAS T-Mobiles AWS bands (1700_2100) which they currently use for some LTE and mostly HSDPA, HSDPA+, Again i have it, i can CONFIRM.

6. I HAVE tethered the device, AFTER using the keyboard hack. The steps i took weren't too difficult.
S1. Change region to spain, DONT restart yet.
S2. Add spain keyboard. Press POSTPONE when the prompt comes up.
S3. NOW RESTART The phone.
S4. Head over to settings>phone update. Check for update. this is the spain keyboard. Install it.
S5. Turn on tethering, it works!

make sure it works. after confirming you can change your region back!! I waited a few minutes.

I type all of this to encourage anyone interested to GET THE PHONE! the more people who buy this the better chance we have of these type of devices being sold in more places here in the U.S
#VoteWithYourWallet

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
1. 1520.3 and rm 938 is the samething. this is what newegg sells. i purchased it from them.

2. The 1520.3 (or rm-938) that newegg sells ships with 32gb's the website specs are wrong. i purchased, i can CONFIRM!

3. The 1520.3 (or rm-938) that new egg sells ships with QI WIRELESS CHARGING. i purchased this device. i can CONFIRM.

4. Newegg offers 30 day. I AM NOT SURE but its seems safe to think nokia would honor any hardware warranty that accompanies the purchase of their device. A purchase is a purchase. no matter where on earth you purchased.

5. The 1520.3 (or rm-938) HAS T-Mobiles AWS bands (1700_2100) which they currently use for some LTE and mostly HSDPA, HSDPA+, Again i have it, i can CONFIRM.

6. I HAVE tethered the device, AFTER using the keyboard hack. The steps i took weren't too difficult.
S1. Change region to spain, DONT restart yet.
S2. Add spain keyboard. Press POSTPONE when the prompt comes up.
S3. NOW RESTART The phone.
S4. Head over to settings>phone update. Check for update. this is the spain keyboard. Install it.
S5. Turn on tethering, it works!

make sure it works. after confirming you can change your region back!! I waited a few minutes.

I type all of this to encourage anyone interested to GET THE PHONE! the more people who buy this the better chance we have of these type of devices being sold in more places here in the U.S
#VoteWithYourWallet

Thank you! In regards of #4, you are correct that purchase is purchase, but if the device is not from US market, Nokia will tell you to go to repair it somewhere in Nicaragua (or whatever the region is). At least this is my understanding, based on my previous experience. So for all practical purposes, it is the same as no warranty. But I am prepared to take the risk.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Dude get the phone! If you worry about what happens when something goes wrong, something will go wrong! But taking my philosopher hat off, GET IT its worth it. This is your dream phone staring you in the face. Don't let this opportunity go by.

In regards to number 4. All I know is if I have a hardware problem, Nokia is going to fix it! That's that. But my phone is perfect. Its built to perfection. All phones should be built as excellently as mine! 😊

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So ordering from Newegg, does that mean we wouldn't be able to send the phone to Nokia if we have problems with it? It should still fall under manufacturers warranty correct?

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
So ordering from Newegg, does that mean we wouldn't be able to send the phone to Nokia if we have problems with it? It should still fall under manufacturers warranty correct?

No it does not, manufacturer warranty only covers regions where the phone's intended market is, in this case Mexico and possibly other South American countries, they don't have international warranty.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Where are you getting this info from? I'm just curious... In regards to the lack of a manufacturers warranty

I can confirm this (personal experience of myself, and family member). If the device was not produced for US market, they will not have S/N in their database, and will not accept it for repair here, in states. What happens next I am not sure. I assume theoretically there should be a way to ship the phone to some place outside the US, but all this is complicated...

Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes - not. For example, long time ago I bought N82 from God knows where. I think it was on EBay from Hong-Kong. It is still in working condition after many years of service. On the other hand, N8 died on me after 6 months. Luckily it was US version bought from Amazon. Then 808 I had to send back to Nokia twice!

You never know.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I remember that before I sent the device back to Newegg (for replacement-hardware issue), I went to Nokia's website and checked the warranty status on my rm-938. I typed in the IMEI number in the field and hit submit. The response was "In warranty-US". The website is Warranty status - Nokia - USA . Try it for yourself and let me know.

Can someone with a 938 here in the US try this to see if its in warranty? I can't because I don't have an IMEI number to try it with before I buy it.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Great! I just checked my status and it's in warranty as well.

The reason I said it's not in warranty in the US because I have purchased European speced phones on Newegg before (Nokia N95 in 2009) and it's not covered under warranty here. Maybe their warranty terms have changed.