Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Would someone on T-Mobile using the 938 mind sharing their APN settings? I'd like to have them right when I configure my device next week and I'm not sure what's needed.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried restarting it or reseting it to see if it goes back to LTE? Change the APN settings?

I did try restarting. Multiple soft restarts and caved in and performed a hard reset once. It still didn't come back to usual strength. I didn't change APN settings. Don't see why I would need to. Would WP 8.1 change the APN settings? Worked fine with 8.0

AlexanderJJJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I did try restarting. Multiple soft restarts and caved in and performed a hard reset once. It still didn't come back to usual strength. I didn't change APN settings. Don't see why I would need to. Would WP 8.1 change the APN settings? Worked fine with 8.0

Okay, well let me know if it ever comes back! I probably won't upgrade to the 8.1 Developer Preview then hearing this!

Hopefully when the official update is rolled out, this won't happen! D:

AkAdam

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a seamless transition to Windows Phone 8.1 Developers Preview. I have a White RM-938 from Newegg and using it on T-mobile in NYC. I had done the "Spanish Keyboard hack" while still on Windows Phone 8.0 and after updating to 8.1 I didn't have to do anything to get tethering to work again. While I was on WP8.0 my phone had three languages on it, English (US), Spanish (Mexico) and I think Portuguese (don't remember), but I uninstalled both non-English keyboards and then immediately downloaded the Spanish (Spain) keyboard. Once it was installed and the phone reset, tethering has worked ever since, even through the update.

Also, I do have the keyboard sensitivity issue and it was annoying me but then I went into Settings, Touch and then changed the Sensitivity setting to "Normal". This definitely helped A LOT! Now I only have the problem with scrolling once, maybe twice per day. I also find that it happens more when you're too gentle with the screen while tapping or scrolling. Haha, I know this sounds weird with it being a brand new phone and you really want to "baby it". But I find if I push slightly harder on the touchscreen so that I get more finger surface area on the screen while scrolling, then it hardly ever messes up and registers as a double tap. Also, if you go to touch the screen too slowly with your finger with the sensitivity set to high, that's when the problem is the worst. After tapping and scrolling the way I have described for a while, it'll set into your muscle memory and you'll hardly have an issue. Well, that's just my experience anyway!

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a seamless transition to Windows Phone 8.1 Developers Preview. I have a White RM-938 from Newegg and using it on T-mobile in NYC. I had done the "Spanish Keyboard hack" while still on Windows Phone 8.0 and after updating to 8.1 I didn't have to do anything to get tethering to work again. While I was on WP8.0 my phone had three languages on it, English (US), Spanish (Mexico) and I think Portuguese (don't remember), but I uninstalled both non-English keyboards and then immediately downloaded the Spanish (Spain) keyboard. Once it was installed and the phone reset, tethering has worked ever since, even through the update.

Also, I do have the keyboard sensitivity issue and it was annoying me but then I went into Settings, Touch and then changed the Sensitivity setting to "Normal". This definitely helped A LOT! Now I only have the problem with scrolling once, maybe twice per day. I also find that it happens more when you're too gentle with the screen while tapping or scrolling. Haha, I know this sounds weird with it being a brand new phone and you really want to "baby it". But I find if I push slightly harder on the touchscreen so that I get more finger surface area on the screen while scrolling, then it hardly ever messes up and registers as a double tap. Also, if you go to touch the screen too slowly with your finger with the sensitivity set to high, that's when the problem is the worst. After tapping and scrolling the way I have described for a while, it'll set into your muscle memory and you'll hardly have an issue. Well, that's just my experience anyway!

How is your LTE coverage? Some users are getting "H" signal as opposed to "LTE".

William Velez1

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
My RM938 AKA Nokia 1520.3 Black from Newegg arrives tomorrow. I may give the war department (AKA the Wife) my RM-940 Nokia 1520.2 and get her of the Android crack pipe... or better yet.. I can sell it and use the proceed for a Trip somewhere.... If you are in the PHX area PM me,

32GB, Qi charging.... were what drove me to it mainly plus I had some cash laying around that was itching to be spent on something....

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Would someone on T-Mobile using the 938 mind sharing their APN settings? I'd like to have them right when I configure my device next week and I'm not sure what's needed.

It appears that they changed the menus for this in 8.1, at least from my memory, but if I go into "Access Point" under settings I have "T-Mobile LTE" as my connection profile or whatever you want to call it. When I view it I see the following settings (any not listed are blank):
Internet APN
{
Access Point Name: fast.t-mobile.com
Network type: IPv4
Authentication type: none
}
MMS APN
{
MMS Access Point Name: fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC address: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
}

If this is not what you're wanting, let me know and I'll try to find it. Keep in mind that this is on 8.1.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Updated to 8.1! Had a scare the damn thing would only tell me that the battery was low and would take a charge. Held Dow the powe but to for about 20-30 sec and it pop on and loaded it up. Works good, still have "H" with att. Still pretty fast loading websites so I don't know what the deal is. I've been messing with it all morning and the battery seems to hold up good. Takes a while to charge the big basturd though! I need to look into this mythical Spanish keyboard trick. I'll try this sucks out this weekend and decide whether to keep it. 8.1 is good.........

Sent from my RM-938_lta_lta_905 using Tapatalk

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just tested out the "H" connection rendering websites with alot of content. I do not notice a difference in speed from lte before. Also, referring to my post above autocorrect is killing me.

Sent from my RM-938_lta_lta_905 using Tapatalk

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
On both AT&T and T-Mo, while I find LTE to bench faster on speed tests, I don't really see much real world difference in responsiveness between HSPA+ and LTE. I probably woulda settled on an RM-937 back a few months ago if it did AWS, but since it didn't, I had to go unicorn spotting.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It appears that they changed the menus for this in 8.1, at least from my memory, but if I go into "Access Point" under settings I have "T-Mobile LTE" as my connection profile or whatever you want to call it. When I view it I see the following settings (any not listed are blank):
Internet APN
{
Access Point Name: fast.t-mobile.com
}
MMS APN
{
MMS Access Point Name: fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC address: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
}

If this is not what you're wanting, let me know and I'll try to find it. Keep in mind that this is on 8.1.

Mine says the same thing and I'm on 8.1. How's your LTE connection and speed?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
On both AT&T and T-Mo, while I find LTE to bench faster on speed tests, I don't really see much real world difference in responsiveness between HSPA+ and LTE. I probably woulda settled on an RM-937 back a few months ago if it did AWS, but since it didn't, I had to go unicorn spotting.

So the RM-937 works on AT&T LTE. Does it have Qi Wireless Charging built-in?

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Well I got something weird after upgrading to 8.1. When I try to activate the front camera the phone crashes. ???? I'm not to concerned as I don't use the front camera but it is definitely a software thing. I might try to reload 8.1. Anybody else?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I just contacted Newegg and they said they have no idea when they'll be getting in new shipments of the RM-938 in white and yellow, or if they even will at all. They just said their stock is updated in real time, so keep checking back.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
RM-937: International
RM-938: Unicorn, North America everything
RM-940: Crippled ATT model

If you don't know that off the top of your head, you clearly are living a more fulfilling life than I, so don't feel like you have to apologize.