Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So, finally got a 1520.3 from a member here (thanks nicz11!) and first thing I had problems with was 8.1 and internet sharing on ATT. 8.1 was already installed, tried the keyboard hack, no luck. In the end I just went back to 8.0 using the Nokia support tool, restored by backup and then applied the hack while on 8.0. Updated to 8.1 and now all is well! I sure hope they fix that before the official release as I think it's just problems with the initial configuration on the WP side since it worked fine after hard reset on 8.0. Maybe their missing carrier settings configuration in the preview.

One wonk thing since doing this all too. I can't get any apps to download or setup that require data connection, but if I use IE, pages load just fine. And it shows I have LTE.

Edit: Ok, fixed that problem by simply disabling automatic time updates.

Last edited:

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I got an email from B&H this morning assuring me that they expect to receive a shipment of phones by the end of the month so I'm not abandoning hope!

I DO believe in unicorns! :)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I got an email from B&H this morning assuring me that they expect to receive a shipment of phones by the end of the month so I'm not abandoning hope!

I DO believe in unicorns! :)

Make sure you take a picture of this unicorn. :D

John
Is the 1320 a micro or mini sim?
I would like to switch between my 1020 but the 1520 is micro so it is more of a permanent switch.

Nope, just go ahead and buy yourself a nanosim cutter right now. Comes with interchangeable adapters to allow you to swap back and forth between micro <-> nano.
Amazon.com: QQ-Tech Nano Sim Card Cutter Mini /Standard & Micro to Nano Sim for iPhone 5 iPhone 4, 4S and other Phones + Metal Tray + 2 Sim Adapters + Sand Paper, All in One Pack (In Stock Ready to Ship): Cell Phones & Accessories

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I just found out I have another option. I confirmed with T-Mobile that I'm in a refarmed area--HSPA+ here is on 1900. Negri has the unlocked version (RM-937??) for $489. I'm trying to think of a reason not to do this. Any drawbacks I'm not considering??

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just found out I have another option. I confirmed with T-Mobile that I'm in a refarmed area--HSPA+ here is on 1900. Negri has the unlocked version (RM-937??) for $489. I'm trying to think of a reason not to do this. Any drawbacks I'm not considering??

Drawbacks are slooow speeds in areas not refarmed areas, and having to buy a charging case if you want wireless charging.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Drawbacks are slooow speeds in areas not refarmed areas, and having to buy a charging case if you want wireless charging.

Thanks. I get LTE most places in town...I just have to rely on HSPA+ at the office. Wireless charging not a deal breaker. How about internet sharing? I've read other threads where an unlocked ATT variant requires a foreign SIM card to hack it rather than the Spanish keyboard install. Not being able to run my iPad off the phone at work would definitely be a negative.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
John
Is the 1320 a micro or mini sim?
I would like to switch between my 1020 but the 1520 is micro so it is more of a permanent switch.

The 1320 uses MicroSIM, so you wouldn't have to switch. But keep in mind you can always get a SIM converter. I just keep my SIM as a NanoSIM and when I need it to be a MicroSIM I just put it in the converter.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I get LTE most places in town...I just have to rely on HSPA+ at the office. Wireless charging not a deal breaker. How about internet sharing? I've read other threads where an unlocked ATT variant requires a foreign SIM card to hack it rather than the Spanish keyboard install. Not being able to run my iPad off the phone at work would definitely be a negative.

Be careful what you buy. I think you referred to the phone as RM-937, but htat is not the Unlocked AT&T variant. The AT&T variant is the RM-940. I'm not sure which one you were considering, but in either case, The 940 will work on LTE bands but won't give you wireless charging without an ugly PMA case. The 937 doesn't work with North American LTE bands at all but has Qi built in. All models use 1900MHz HSPA+.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Be careful what you buy. I think you referred to the phone as RM-937, but htat is not the Unlocked AT&T variant.

Thanks, John. I did a little research and you nailed it. This is not the AT&T version and it does NOT have the 1700 LTE band, so I would be restricted to HSPA+. That would be OK but obviously not ideal. And I'd have to hope the 1900 coverage is as good over the rest of town as it is in my area. Hmmmmm. I think for now I will leave this as a fall back option if my 1520.3 doesn't materialize. Appreciate the feedback.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, John. I did a little research and you nailed it. This is not the AT&T version and it does NOT have the 1700 LTE band, so I would be restricted to HSPA+. That would be OK but obviously not ideal. And I'd have to hope the 1900 coverage is as good over the rest of town as it is in my area. Hmmmmm. I think for now I will leave this as a fall back option if my 1520.3 doesn't materialize. Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah no problem. I'm glad I could help. I think you're right to just wait it out. I've used all 3 (937, 938, & 940) on T-Mobile at one time or another. The 938 is really the killer device. It is 100% compatible with T-Mobile no matter where you are, has Qi built-in, and has an easy way to set up tethering. You really can't go wrong with it.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you take a picture of this unicorn. :D
Leery of those adaptors as I bent the pins on a Samsung with one a couple of years ago.

Nope, just go ahead and buy yourself a nanosim cutter right now. Comes with interchangeable adapters to allow you to swap back and forth between micro <-> nano.
Amazon.com: QQ-Tech Nano Sim Card Cutter Mini /Standard & Micro to Nano Sim for iPhone 5 iPhone 4, 4S and other Phones + Metal Tray + 2 Sim Adapters + Sand Paper, All in One Pack (In Stock Ready to Ship): Cell Phones & Accessories

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site

He's talking about the rm-937, so no worries with the charging case. The slow speeds in non-refarmed areas is accurate though.

Last edited:

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I received my 32gb AT&T upgrade phone Wednesday as I was leaving out for work. Upon getting home I rushed and charged the battery but with the first screen displayed my eyes go directly to a dead pixel. I found out about AT&T's stupid policy's when I returned the phone, like charging a restock fee even if it's defective. Since I refuse to get back in a contact with AT&T I'm going to try and purchase the RM-938 from B&H. Are there any discount codes around?

Edit: Also is it possible the reason for them being on backorder everywhere and one model on Negri showing as discontinued because they're refreshing the next batch to have 8.1 stock?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited: