Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I received my 32gb AT&T upgrade phone Wednesday as I was leaving out for work. Upon getting home I rushed and charged the battery but with the first screen displayed my eyes go directly to a dead pixel. I found out about AT&T's stupid policy's when I returned the phone, like charging a restock fee even if it's defective. Since I refuse to get back in a contact with AT&T I'm going to try and purchase the RM-938 from B&H. Are there any discount codes around?

Edit: Also is it possible the reason for them being on backorder everywhere and one model on Negri showing as discontinued because they're refreshing the next batch to have 8.1 stock?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No, I can't see this phone ever shipping with 8.1 preloaded. Nokia has never done this in the past. It's most likely just a supply/demand issue. This phone was not intended to cater to the US market.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Since I refuse to get back in a contact with AT&T I'm going to try and purchase the RM-938 from B&H.

I've had one on order with B&H for a couple weeks. When I saw Negri change it's status on the black one to "discontinued", I fired off an email to B&H. I got a reply saying they would be getting some in before the end of the month.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

AlexFirth91

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
No, I can't see this phone ever shipping with 8.1 preloaded. Nokia has never done this in the past. It's most likely just a supply/demand issue. This phone was not intended to cater to the US market.

New ownership under Microsoft, so it is possible now lol. But we'll see, I'm still waiting for mine too. My birthday gift to myself.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone about a week now. Got it, updated to 8.1. Reset phone to do a backup. Phone works great, except I only get H or H+ on ATT. I used to get LTE on my 920. Do I need to call or chat with ATT to get settings changed. I'm not having any bugs happen. Only thing that happened on the second day was ATT canceled my data plan. They threw me on some pay as I go plan, so I called the store I got my nano sim from. They told me my data had somehow got reset, so they flipped it back on.

This is what my situation is, and ATT won't even attempt to set it right in their system, the just want me to buy one of the ATT gimped versions.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So, finally got a 1520.3 from a member here (thanks nicz11!) and first thing I had problems with was 8.1 and internet sharing on ATT. 8.1 was already installed, tried the keyboard hack, no luck. In the end I just went back to 8.0 using the Nokia support tool, restored by backup and then applied the hack while on 8.0. Updated to 8.1 and now all is well! I sure hope they fix that before the official release as I think it's just problems with the initial configuration on the WP side since it worked fine after hard reset on 8.0. Maybe their missing carrier settings configuration in the preview.

One wonk thing since doing this all too. I can't get any apps to download or setup that require data connection, but if I use IE, pages load just fine. And it shows I have LTE.

Edit: Ok, fixed that problem by simply disabling automatic time updates.

If I knew it was the time updates I'd have never done that reset, now I think I have a date with the support tool. Can you restore from backup after the fact? I want to get to 8.1 before restoring.

Last edited:

3_D

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I had heard that some had trouble with their IMEI to register at AT&T. When I got my 1520.3, I just cut my microsim to nano. I couldn't get my visual voicemail to work, so I went to an AT&T store to see if they could activate it. They replaced the sim with a new one and she keyed in my imei on her corporate tablet. I made sure that it was registering LTE and all is good.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I take every possible good sign to heart. Negri has changed the status of the black model from "discontinued" to "back ordered."

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
If I knew it was the time updates I'd have never done that reset, now I think I have a date with the support tool. Can you restore from backup after the fact? I want to get to 8.1 before restoring.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to restore the start screen and app data without performing a hard reset and that's a big no no in 8.1 if you want to keep internet sharing. Maybe this will be corrected in the final release, but for now the best you can do is restore apps, settings, sms, etc. during initial setup in 8.0, add Spanish keyboard, then upgrade to 8.1 and redo your start screen. It's annoying, but that's how it is for now.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
As far as I can tell, there is no way to restore the start screen and app data without performing a hard reset and that's a big no no in 8.1 if you want to keep internet sharing. Maybe this will be corrected in the final release, but for now the best you can do is restore apps, settings, sms, etc. during initial setup in 8.0, add Spanish keyboard, then upgrade to 8.1 and redo your start screen. It's annoying, but that's how it is for now.

So what is the right sequence from the time you open the box if you'd like internet sharing and 8.1?

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
So what is the right sequence from the time you open the box if you'd like internet sharing and 8.1?

The keys are to (1) get it working in 8.0 before updating to 8.1 and (2) not to hard reset once running 8.1. If it's working in 8.0, it will continue to work in 8.1 unless you hard reset the phone (by going into settings > about > reset phone).

1. Perform initial setup out of the box however you'd like (restore backup or don't, it's up to you)
2. Go to settings > keyboard and remove the non-English keyboards and add the Spanish (Spain) keyboard. After download is complete your phone will ask you to install the update. Confirm and the phone will reboot and install the update for the keyboard. Internet sharing should be working at this point. You can remove the Spanish keyboard from your keyboard list at this point if you want to and it won't effect the internet sharing.
3. Install Preview for Developers and update to WP8.1. Internet sharing should continue to work now in 8.1.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I used the nokia software recovery and rolled back to 8.0, did the keyboard trick and re-updated to 8, my backup was from April as 8.1 backups are not compatible, re-installing the apps I want from the my apps section of the store, everything working as expected, haven't had a problem with the clock but I'll keep an eye on it

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I am able to use internet sharing on 8.1 without ever having to do the keyboard Hack in 8.0 prior to upgrade. This might be hit or miss, I had to use the hack on my 1320 but it looks like the 1520 can go straight to 8.1 without any work around.

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I am able to use internet sharing on 8.1 without ever having to do the keyboard Hack in 8.0 prior to upgrade. This might be hit or miss, I had to use the hack on my 1320 but it looks like the 1520 can go straight to 8.1 without any work around.

Bizarre..I am on 8.1 on my 1520.3 and no luck with the spanish keyboard trick. Should I use the foreign sim trick? I was hoping to have a solution with the access point app remaining

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Bizarre..I am on 8.1 on my 1520.3 and no luck with the spanish keyboard trick. Should I use the foreign sim trick? I was hoping to have a solution with the access point app remaining

You have to do the Spanish keyboard trick while in 8.0 before upgrading to 8.1 You can only use the foreign SIM trick on unlocked AT&T phones b/c they allow you to edit apn settings manually whereas factory unlocked variants don't.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. So you never had to install the Spanish keyboard at any point? And was internet sharing working before you updated to 8.1 or did you just update without trying it first? Also, are you running on T-Mobile?