Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

Bruce Carroll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I had an incident with NewEgg late last year where my order was in Austin, but it sat there for 3 days. NewEgg claimed that it wasn't actually in Austin and that the weather had delayed it in Memphis. Probably one of the few times that NewEgg REALLY PISSED me off. Wouldn't refund my expedited shipping even though talking to the UPS guy they should be able to do that.

Mmmm, ok. Sounds like BS, but I could be wrong. I thought every entry in the UPS delivery schedule was an actual physical on location scan.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine arrived in Mesquite, Tx at 5am today. I guess there may be a chance that I could get it tomorrow, but not counting on it.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Mine has been delivered already so now I'm trying to figure out how to get the new Sim. Is it possible to stop by the AT&T store on my way to work to get a new sim and use my current phone while at work? I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it so everything gets provisioned properly yet still use my current phone tonight?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's a no. Your number and a sim maintain a one-to-one relationship. If you went the trim+adapter route, you could switch while you play.

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been delivered already so now I'm trying to figure out how to get the new Sim. Is it possible to stop by the AT&T store on my way to work to get a new sim and use my current phone while at work? I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it so everything gets provisioned properly yet still use my current phone tonight?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I also ran into this exact situation.

My suggestion: stop by AT&T store and pick up an unactivated SIM (nano SIM for Lumia 1520) for your AT&T account and new phone. When you're ready, at a later time, call AT&T customer service and transfer your service from the old SIM to the new one. Use a land line for the customer service call, because when the new SIM is activated, the old SIM is immediately deactivated.

For those AT&T stores that don't want to give out unactivated SIMs, you can also get the new SIM to work with your current phone, and get that working and provisioned while you're at the store. Then transfer the new SIM from current to the new phone at a later time.

You'll likely need a SIM adapter for the new nano SIM to work with your current phone, which the AT&T stores don't carry(!). But Walmart and Target carry the "AT&T SIM kit for GoPhones" which include adapters for $10. Pricey, but what else can you do if you need it the same day?

I don't recommend SIM cutting. Nano SIMs are supposed to be a bit thinner than the standard or micro versions, so it is possible cut SIMs may not fit properly in some nano SIM phones.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I wish NewEgg delivered phones the way Road Runner Sports delivers shoes.ImageUploadedByWPCentral Forums1401829484.808429.jpg

P.S. Apparently NewEgg doesn't love me.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I also ran into this exact situation.

My suggestion: stop by AT&T store and pick up an unactivated SIM (nano SIM for Lumia 1520) for your AT&T account and new phone. When you're ready, at a later time, call AT&T customer service and transfer your service from the old SIM to the new one. Use a land line for the customer service call, because when the new SIM is activated, the old SIM is immediately deactivated.

For those AT&T stores that don't want to give out unactivated SIMs, you can also get the new SIM to work with your current phone, and get that working and provisioned while you're at the store. Then transfer the new SIM from current to the new phone at a later time.

You'll likely need a SIM adapter for the new nano SIM to work with your current phone, which the AT&T stores don't carry(!). But Walmart and Target carry the "AT&T SIM kit for GoPhones" which include adapters for $10. Pricey, but what else can you do if you need it the same day?

I don't recommend SIM cutting. Nano SIMs are supposed to be a bit thinner than the standard or micro versions, so it is possible cut SIMs may not fit properly in some nano SIM phones.

Thank you, thats exactly what I did. I have the new sim in the car and the rep said to call customer care with the 1520 IMEI number when I'm ready to switch. Now watch tonight drags.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

DAWgEAR

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
This is my first post although I have been watching this thread and others here for a few weeks.

After going back and forth about the size, I ordered a black 1520.3 from B&H last night and it has been shipped already. Should be here Thursday, and I will be using it on T-Mobile.

I am upgrading from a 2+ year old Lumia 710. Should be exciting!

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
No sign of movement from my phone after arriving in Mesquite (near Dallas) yesterday morning at 5am. Grrr. I guess it's tomorrow after all. I said I was gong to have bad karma from canceling that B&H order and I was right. :-( But once I have it in my hands tomorrow, all will be forgotten.

mrjoejame

May 31, 2014
Visit site
They were supposed to deliver it to me today, but then UPS texts me and says they have a error in there system and I will get it tomarrow

DAWgEAR

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Na?ve question, but I suspect some of the participants in this thread are on T-Mobile and perhaps have experience with this.

When the Lumina 1520.3 arrives, do I just remove the micro SIM card from my Lumina 710, cut it down to nano size (I ordered a SIM cutter), and install it into the Lumina 1520? Will my phone number and plan be the same except they will apply to the new phone? Or do I need to contact T-Mobile to transfer my plan and phone number?

Thanks in advance!

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually if you were switching to a locked phone, as long as it was the same company, it would be the same thing. Switch and go.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Na?ve question, but I suspect some of the participants in this thread are on T-Mobile and perhaps have experience with this.

When the Lumina 1520.3 arrives, do I just remove the micro SIM card from my Lumina 710, cut it down to nano size (I ordered a SIM cutter), and install it into the Lumina 1520? Will my phone number and plan be the same except they will apply to the new phone? Or do I need to contact T-Mobile to transfer my plan and phone number?

Thanks in advance!

You got it. 😊

It's very simple. Just cut and insert into your new phone.

Bruce Carroll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
They were supposed to deliver it to me today, but then UPS texts me and says they have a error in there system and I will get it tomarrow

I got the same error message! WTF! I chatted with them online and I am going to go pick it up at the warehouse.

I had to leave the house for 15 minutes last night and OF COURSE, that would happen to be the time they tried to deliver. Didn't know they were going to require a signature, so they didn't leave it.