Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
That is what I was talking about in my last post. Non T-Mobile branded phones see T-Mobiles as 3G but it runs the same speed as T-Mobile 4G. At T-Mobile they jokingly refer to 4G as 3.5G

Yep, even when I get the 3G signal, I'm getting HSPA+ speeds (although on the lower end). I'm just surprised I get the H+ designator sometimes. I did go upstairs and confirmed I get LTE, so I deem this a fully functional Unicorn.

On another subject, I'm quite impressed with the battery life. If I ran the hotspot on my Note 2 without charge all morning, it would be sitting about 20-25% by now. I'm still at 70%! I plopped it on the Qi charger just to make sure it worked, but I'm just going to let it run to see how long it takes to get to 30% or so. At that point I'll charge it.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to post that I picked up the Poetic case today and I am extremely impressed.
Much better than the photos on Amazon... they don't do it justice.
Make the phone much more easier to carry when I was having second thoughts about the size.

Also got the Amzer and Nillkin but have stuck with the Poetic for now

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to post that I picked up the Poetic case today and I am extremely impressed.
Make the phone much more easier to carry when I was having second thoughts about the size.

That Poetic case does look nice. It also has a 3 year warranty? Wow, that's quality right there.

I have the white Nilkin slim case, but I'm also ordering a nice premium case from Mozo (Finland). I will definitely post pics.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Which poetic did you order? I have the Incipio NGP and love the feel but Im not to keen about the fit. I need something that doesn't add much to the size since I'm using a holster case.

I'm on day three and still have not run into any major issues with the phone, minus a few phantom clicks every now and then when I'm typing fast. I plan on going through all the preinstalled apps and really test the camera this weekend. So far I'm totally happy with the phone. The UI is blazing fast and because of that the multitasking is amazing. If anyone is wondering I'm still on 8.0.

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Any recommendations for a screen protector for the Lumia 1520? Are the edges of the screen curved?

Is it possible to configure the Lumia 1520 to be used as a tablet? I'm thinking of keeping my Nexus 5 as my main device and then just order another sim card that will ultimately be using data that's already allocated from my phone plan for the Lumia 1520. Will this be possible through either AT&T or T-Mobile? Are there any specific settings that I would need?

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
So far, so good! I loaded up 55GB of music and a bunch of pics last night. The music app seems to work just fine. The only glitch I have had so is when I tapped a pic to add to the home screen, it started rapidly moving back and forth between different albums in the pics folder. I went back to home screen and tried again, and all was fine. I wasn't too crazy about having to use the PC to put some old ringtones on the phone (that I had already loaded on the SD card) but not a big deal. No problems with tap/swipe sensitivity. Happy camper!

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I have T-Mobile too. Internet sharing works, however when I use the hotspot from my laptop or iPod I get redirected to a web page telling me to add the mobile hotspot on my plan.

Have you actually used internet sharing from a device that's connected, and been able to browse the web? I'm just curious.

mister2d,
I'm on T-Mobile too. I had an initial problem with Internet Sharing (on my device, I would get a pop-up stating my current plan doesn't support Wifi Hotspot/Tether (my plan actually does...)). Anyway, when I initially set up my device (during this initial set up, I did multiple Hard Resets because I was learning how the phone worked), I did it without my SIM Card inserted (I ended up cutting it down and inserting ~24 hours after I initially set up my phone). I could never get Internet Sharing to work. So, I ended up hard resetting my phone (this time with SIM inserted). After the initial screens, I did the Spanish Keyboard trick and Internet Sharing has been working great since. As posted earlier in this thread (by Rhoyz), here are the exact steps I took:

My steps were:

1.) Uninstall Spanish ( Mexico) Keyboard
2.) Reboot Phone
3.) Install Spanish (Spain) keyboard
4.) Reboot Phone (just to be safe)
5.) Turn on Internet Sharing

Cheers,
Justin

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Isquare,
I recommend Martin Fields Screen Protectors (they're excellent). Theirs also comes with a screen protector for the Camera Lens.

Cheers,
Justin

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So far, so good! I loaded up 55GB of music and a bunch of pics last night. The music app seems to work just fine. The only glitch I have had so is when I tapped a pic to add to the home screen, it started rapidly moving back and forth between different albums in the pics folder. I went back to home screen and tried again, and all was fine. I wasn't too crazy about having to use the PC to put some old ringtones on the phone (that I had already loaded on the SD card) but not a big deal. No problems with tap/swipe sensitivity. Happy camper!

You want ringtones? :D Try downloading "Nokia Tones" from the store. It's Nokia's whole collection dating back to the old days. It's pretty good I think.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/nokia-tones/bf4c6a1b-34d8-4b3c-969b-4985e61d6b03

mister2d,
I'm on T-Mobile too. I had an initial problem with Internet Sharing (on my device, I would get a pop-up stating my current plan doesn't support Wifi Hotspot/Tether (my plan actually does...)). Anyway, when I initially set up my device (during this initial set up, I did multiple Hard Resets because I was learning how the phone worked), I did it without my SIM Card inserted (I ended up cutting it down and inserting ~24 hours after I initially set up my phone). I could never get Internet Sharing to work. So, I ended up hard resetting my phone (this time with SIM inserted). After the initial screens, I did the Spanish Keyboard trick and Internet Sharing has been working great since. As posted earlier in this thread (by Rhoyz), here are the exact steps I took:

My steps were:

1.) Uninstall Spanish ( Mexico) Keyboard
2.) Reboot Phone
3.) Install Spanish (Spain) keyboard
4.) Reboot Phone (just to be safe)
5.) Turn on Internet Sharing

Cheers,
Justin

Unfortunately my issue isn't the popup. Internet sharing turns on just fine. It's just that I get a T-Mobile web page when attempting to browse on a connected device over the shared wifi from my phone. I can't go to any other address from there.

From my exhaustive research it appears it isn't a T-Mobile issue at all (per se), but it's a tethering flag set by MICROSOFT in the phone itself (likely the registry) that notifies the carrier that traffic going through is tethering/hotspot traffic. From there the carrier sets up a captive portal and blocks outbound. I noticed that there are Android phones that had this flag set and was easily reversible (if the phone was rooted). Unfortunately, on these WP8 devices it isn't possible to do [yet].

I suspect that since I am on a prepaid plan that T-Mobile pays attention to this flag. For postpaid folks it seems they ignore it.

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Any recommendations for a screen protector for the Lumia 1520? Are the edges of the screen curved?

Is it possible to configure the Lumia 1520 to be used as a tablet? I'm thinking of keeping my Nexus 5 as my main device and then just order another sim card that will ultimately be using data that's already allocated from my phone plan for the Lumia 1520. Will this be possible through either AT&T or T-Mobile? Are there any specific settings that I would need?

I have the Krusell screen protector for my 1520. This is the one they have at the Microsoft Store and it is AMAZING. Its fit is just a little small, but overall this thing is solid. I highly recommend it for the 1520, very impressed.

Krusell - Works with Nokia

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Na?ve question, but I suspect some of the participants in this thread are on T-Mobile and perhaps have experience with this.

When the Lumina 1520.3 arrives, do I just remove the micro SIM card from my Lumina 710, cut it down to nano size (I ordered a SIM cutter), and install it into the Lumina 1520? Will my phone number and plan be the same except they will apply to the new phone? Or do I need to contact T-Mobile to transfer my plan and phone number?

Thanks in advance!

Switching your SIM after cutting it will be all you have to do. That's the benefit of unlocked phones. Switch and go.

I have another naive question. I'm buying the 1520.3 to go on a new (not switching) T-Mobile account. How do I get a working sim for the phone and T-Mobile? I looked on TM's site and of course the phone isn't listed as a valid phone to order a sim for it.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have another naive question. I'm buying the 1520.3 to go on a new (not switching) T-Mobile account. How do I get a working sim for the phone and T-Mobile? I looked on TM's site and of course the phone isn't listed as a valid phone to order a sim for it.

Assuming you are talking about prepaid service. You would go here:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/

The bring your own device link is right at the top. It doesn't ask for what type of phone.

For postpaid plans I was able to go to cart as well without me specifying the phone.

Just so you know, the 1520.3 will not come up as recognized.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Na?ve question, but I suspect some of the participants in this thread are on T-Mobile and perhaps have experience with this.

When the Lumina 1520.3 arrives, do I just remove the micro SIM card from my Lumina 710, cut it down to nano size (I ordered a SIM cutter), and install it into the Lumina 1520? Will my phone number and plan be the same except they will apply to the new phone? Or do I need to contact T-Mobile to transfer my plan and phone number?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you are talking about prepaid service. You would go here:

Prepaid Cell Phones | No Contract Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

The bring your own device link is right at the top. It doesn't ask for what type of phone.

For postpaid plans I was able to go to cart as well without me specifying the phone.

Just so you know, the 1520.3 will not come up as recognized.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I' looking at the prepaid for now. If all is well, then I will move to a regular plan.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Fortunately, I have a TMo company store right down the street. I went in Thursday to get a nano sim for my 1520.3, and went back Friday to get a micro sim so my grandson could have my Note II. They charged me 9.99 for the first one, but gave me the second one free. Meanwhile, I used the phone a lot today. I did have a couple instances where an intended swipe registered as a touch, but it wasn't a real problem. My home screen has a better looking Unicorn on it now. :)