Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I will stop by the store tomorrow and get it setup so I can have a smooth setup. Thanks again everyone.

Well I don't know if it will be smooth as you say. Your IMEI won't come up as a recognized phone. Chances are the rep will have at least some minor trouble. Hopefully they activate it AND you get an LTE signal. That's the goal here. :)

Otherwise, if you want it to be smooth then you go the nano sim cutter route. You would cut your Lumia 710's micro sim down to size and use that one without a hitch.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't know if it will be smooth as you say. Your IMEI won't come up as a recognized phone. Chances are the rep will have at least some minor trouble. Hopefully they activate it AND you get an LTE signal. That's the goal here. :)

I've used the unlocked, international version of the original NOTE and the 1520.3 on TMo , both with new sims, with no problem.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

knacky

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've used the unlocked, international version of the original NOTE and the 1520.3 on TMo , both with new sims, with no problem.

Finally got around to taking mine out of the box and going down to T-Mobile with it. The guy didn't even ask for the IMEI. He just started a new account for service and gave me a Nano SIM. Popped it in and turned the phone on. The Lumia came up in Spanish but I changed it to English and then it wanted to reboot. Breezed thru the initial setup question and it wanted to reboot one more time. Then it came up showing T-Mobile as carrier with data type LTE.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why not, but I'm not sure why Negri and Newegg aren't selling the 1520.3 in that color.

PopularElectronics.com has been advertising all colors of the RM-938 as "in stock soon" for a long time now. Here it is in red: Nokia Lumia 1520 4G Smartphone with 20MP Camera - Red RM-938

That's the one my wife wants, but $800 is way too much just to get red. Plus I've never hear of them. I'm used to buying from Newegg though.

knacky

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Tmo has no problems with setting up sim cards for service, they are not as anal as att

Got T-Mobile service started yesterday and unfortunately already need to cancel it. 1 bar or "No Service" inside the house, even though the TMO coverage map on their site down to street level shows excellent or very good. My existing Sprint service is marginally better. It can shows 4 bars one minute, then the next minute its 1 bar and the phone has never moved.

The wife's ancient Lumia 900 always gets a solid 2-3 bars inside the house, and she's on AT&T. So went down to AT&T and got service started. The guy entered the IMEI of my unicorn and didn't have any problems at all. Fired right up and took it home. The unicorn now shows the same signal as my wife's phone inside the house, consistently 2-3 bars.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Happy to hear another Unicorn is in service! Too bad about T-Mobile, but great plans are rather useless if you don't get a signal. I'm using the fee signal booster they offer to get coverage in my office.

joebirney

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat on Tmobile and barley get one bar if I keep my phone next to the window. My son and wife's S5 seem to get 2 to 3 bars. Not sure what to do.....It works great when I go outside but no bars inside is kind of a very bad thing :-(

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else received an update for 12 system updates tonight? I've been using the phone for almost a week and have checked for update but nothing ever came up. Some of the updates show dates at the end of March some examples are access point, network+, Glance, touch and several more. Shouldn't they have been updated on the first boot-up or after opening the app? I would just like to check if this is normal for windows phone.

Thanks

infinitelurker

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
One issue (bug?) I've noticed on my 1520.3 running 8.1 that didn't happen on my 920 (also running 8.1), my Wifi connection bars are empty when waking the phone from sleep (with the stay connected option enabled). Wifi still works even though it indicates no signal, as I downloaded an app and it said it was over the Wifi network. However, if I cycle Wifi off then on, then the full bars of connectivity shows up.

Anybody else seeing this?

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
One issue (bug?) I've noticed on my 1520.3 running 8.1 that didn't happen on my 920 (also running 8.1), my Wifi connection bars are empty when waking the phone from sleep (with the stay connected option enabled). Wifi still works even though it indicates no signal, as I downloaded an app and it said it was over the Wifi network. However, if I cycle Wifi off then on, then the full bars of connectivity shows up.

Others with different versions of WPs have reported that issue as well. I have it on my 928. It messes with my OCD, but I've gotten used to it since we aren't official yet. Granted since the last update, it doesn't happen as much. I'm wondering if the Cyan update will address it with 8.1?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I've seen the same thing. The problem went away when I went into my Wi-Fi settings and checked the box "connect automatically". For some reason it was unchecked. I was sure it was enabled before, but oh well.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Think I'm returning mine. Really cannot stand the touch sensitivity issue and as its going on 8 months now its like there won't be a fix. Totally ruins the experience when you just want to scroll by an app and it opens, or a link is activated and you have to press the back button and even with quad cores its still takes seconds to resume.

And that's another point, performance is better but not that much considering the specs so that's disappointing. Also can see the noisy low light pics that has been mentioned, my 920 did better than this, not to mention my 1020. Going to wait a few days till the weekend to decide, size surprisingly wasn't an issue but can't deal with such a sub par touch experience which Nokia seems to be ignoring, and with a 1020 successor rumored with better specs a few months away I might just stick with my current 1020.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Any word of a red RM-938 coming available soon? I noticed that it's listed on Nokia's Latin America site, but can't be found anywhere other than Popular Electronics. But that price is ridiculous and I'm not certain that it is the right device due to my unfamiliarity with the vendor.

joebirney

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Joe, if tell that to TMo, they will send you a free signal booster that works great.

Dave
thanks for the input as I thought about that. I looked up that same booster but noticed it was 500+ bucks. So will talk to T-Mobile and see what options we have. How do you like your phone now that you had a few days to play/use it?

Thanks again!

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Joe, it does retail for $500 but T-Mobile provides it absolutely free. You just call and ask for it. They will ask you to describe your situation. If you say the same thing you posted (1 bar at the window), then they will hook you up. It's a great deal.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the phone so far. I experience the occasional problem with the touch sensitivity, but otherwise it's going well. It's working well with T-Mobile so I use it to provide a signal to my iPad at work. Much Unicorn happiness so far! :)