Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If you guys don't want to roll back, I can let you know as soon as Cyan is available. I'm sure you'll hear it on here as soon as it happens anyway, but I never installed the DP and I keep checking my 1520.3 for updates several times a day. I'll post here as soon as its available if no one else hasn't

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I tweeted Nokia, Nokia US, and Nokia Care saying "Can you tell us when the Cyan update will be available for the Lumia 1520.3 (RM-938 variant)? Lots of people waiting. Thanks."

Nokia Care responded and wasn't very helpful: "Rollout timings and feature availability vary by phone model, but Lumia Cyan will start rolling out this summer following testing and operator approvals. See this: Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia . ^JA"

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I tweeted Nokia, Nokia US, and Nokia Care saying "Can you tell us when the Cyan update will be available for the Lumia 1520.3 (RM-938 variant)? Lots of people waiting. Thanks."

Nokia Care responded and wasn't very helpful: "Rollout timings and feature availability vary by phone model, but Lumia Cyan will start rolling out this summer following testing and operator approvals. See this: Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia . ^JA"

telling us we have to wait for "operator approval" on an unlocked phone is comical to the point of frustration. smh :eck: . the struggle for people who buy unlocked phones is REAL!

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
telling us we have to wait for "operator approval" on an unlocked phone is comical to the point of frustration. smh :eck: . the struggle for people who buy unlocked phones is REAL!

Exactly, I thought getting this phone would be similar to buying a Nexus if on Android. I'll learn from this and just get a locked phone if I stay with windows phone after this

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've since responded to Nokia Cares, not because I expect a coherent answer this time, but just to let them know how ludicrous theirs was: "I appreciate your response but this is no help at all and frankly, really doesn't make much sense. Why is an international unlocked phone awaiting "operator approval"? Also the link you provided is outdated. For example, it shows AT&T's Cyan update as "under testing" even though it rolled out last week. 1520.3 owners in various forums online are growing increasingly confused and impatient about the Cyan rollout."

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, I thought getting this phone would be similar to buying a Nexus if on Android. I'll learn from this and just get a locked phone if I stay with windows phone after this
I empathize with you, but this isn't an unlocked phone issue. It's a country variant issue. You could technically have an unlocked phone with a carrier's firmware and have the Cyan update by now.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

Fine but that's overlooking the value that earns this phone the Unicorn name. You can't get a locked Windows phone on TMo with specs that come close to this. The AT&T version has half the storage and needs a case for wireless charging. There are good reasons why there's a market for unlocked phones.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
One thing I don't understand is the concept of the "country variant." We've purchased phones that were intended for Latin America. There are 18 countries listed under Latin America on the Nokia site. Is there a different flavor of Cyan for each one? Which country's variant are we waiting on? Why isn't there a "hemisphere variant?" And why should any carrier version be ready before the "country variant?" Inquiring minds....

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I feel your pain.

Something tells me that Nokia/Microsoft doesn't have a satisfactory answer to the 'update before carriers' question. It's absolutely asinine, asiten, asieleven.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Fine but that's overlooking the value that earns this phone the Unicorn name. You can't get a locked Windows phone on TMo with specs that come close to this. The AT&T version has half the storage and needs a case for wireless charging. There are good reasons why there's a market for unlocked phones.

I hear you and I'm not taking anything away from the phone. I still brag about how great different things are about it. It's just that I thought one of those great things would also be being first in line for updates. Since nothing is missing on the 1520.3 and they shouldn't have to make any changes software wise because some carrier didn't want QI charging or they wanted less memory. Not having most of the additions 8.1 brings, and being restricted on what apps I can install is a pain. This the the flagship of their flagship so they should treat it as such

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Early this morning Nokia Care asked me to DM them my IMEI number as well as where I purchased the device. Did that, and just a while ago they asked me to also send my name and location -_-. Not sure how that'll help them answer my question, but I sent that info as well. Waiting to hear back.

enroh_mada

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Early this morning Nokia Care asked me to DM them my IMEI number as well as where I purchased the device. Did that, and just a while ago they asked me to also send my name and location -_-. Not sure how that'll help them answer my question, but I sent that info as well. Waiting to hear back.

yeah I don't think I would be giving them that information but let us know what happens as this story goes on. Coming from Android, I was expecting my unicorn to receive the update immediately