Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've just completed a hard reset and tried the spanish keyboard hack but I still don't have internet sharing. I know I've seen people post they still have it on T-mobile but that maybe the price I have to pay for Cyan on AT&T. Was there any other way for it to work on 8.0?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So here's a very preliminary pro/con list after spending a few hours with the update:

Good
  • Phone is smooth and responsive, though it always has been.
  • Pretty sure LTE signal strength is marginally better. About a half bar's worth or so.
  • Wordflow keyboard is flawless
  • Smaller fonts and icons where necessary. Looks very elegant.
  • Love the new "bright green" theme color
  • Loving the parallax home screen images
  • Slight difference that might not be noticeable to most, but I'm liking the thinner, sleeker font with Glance Screen.
  • Keyboard occupies less real estate, somewhat increasing one handability and taking advantage of the 1520's ginormous display.

Bad
  • Swipe/tap/scroll bug still very much alive and well :unhappy:. It's definitely no better for me. Not that I had hope it would be fixed, it was pretty clear all along that it was a hardware issue
  • Speaker phone quality may have taken a slight hit. Seems a bit more shrill and metallic. I've seen the same complaints from Lumia 930 owners, so this may be a Cyan thing that'll get sorted out with a future update
  • Battery life seems a bit worse. I'll have to tweak this diagnosis over the next few days but so far it does not seem to be as stellar as before.
  • Can't activate voice commands or Cortana by long pressing the capacitive home button anymore. Unless I'm missing something. Did that change? I used it all the time. *EDIT* Nevermind, turns out you press and hold the search button now.

Note
  • For some reason both American and English UK were installed as languages. I don't remember ever installing UK English. Anyway, though American English was set as default, UK English was listed above it in the Language section of my settings. For that reason, Cortana wasn't showing up or installing. I had to long press on American English and select "move up" to get Cortana installed. Just an FYI if anyone is surprised to not find Cortana after completing their update.

Last edited:

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely say that the screen sensitivity issue is much improved, as well as the swipe problem. it hasn't fully gone away but is is definitely less prevalent. Haven't tested tethering yet.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey hasasimo what's your touch setting on. I do not get that scroll bug AT ALL! mine is on normal and I've never really had the problem at all. I've also adjusted to the sensitivity of the screen. It's "naturally" really sensitive!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You guys are lucky I guess :(. I've had the bug from day one. If it wasn't there before for you, I doubt it'll suddenly show up. My screen sensitivity is set to normal. I tried all sorts of stuff suggested by others in the bugs thread (and the giant thread in the Nokia forum) to get rid of it when I bought the device to no avail. Took a good 20 or 30 minutes of playing with the phone for it to show up after the update.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 has been downgraded and fully restored. Finally! Right away it seemed faster than the 8.1 DP as I'm navigating very quickly through the Spotify app.

Word Flow is actually better. On par with my Android tablet now, which is a plus. They are obviously making good use of the harvested Word Flow usage that people opt-in to.

So, I read the article about the USB data setting. I wonder what it really does since I did plug it into my Windows 8.1 system and got the popup about using the data connection. But no new device appeared in my devices list. Maybe this feature isn't finished yet? Or maybe my expectations are incorrect about being able to tether through the USB connection. At any rate, it doesn't seem to work.

UJDx7U6.jpg

Cons:
*I lost MetroTalk in the downgrade since I had to wipe my phone. *SIGH* Can't re-download it now that it's been yanked from the store.

*Also lost whatever the Verge (unofficial) app was just recently renamed to. It seems that too has been yanked. Good grief. That is the bad thing about app stores. Suppose you paid for said app, then the app gets de-listed but otherwise still functional. No possible way to gain it back.

Other than that, so far so good.

Xideran

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys. Well, I jumped the bandwagon from 8.0 to 8.1 now. Successful w/ tethering and everything. There's just one hiccup though..

Dunno if anyone noticed it or that it's been an issue I've long ignored, but they removed Facebook from Settings>email+accounts>add an account..

If you want your People app to sync with Facebook, or calendar, for that matter, you have to go to the Facebook app>Settings>Connect with my phone> Sync Now..

Am I missing something?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm what I wrote in my pros/cons list earlier, it's definitely looking like battery life is worse. Much worse? No, but it's noticeable.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Just to confirm what I wrote in my pros/cons list earlier, it's definitely looking like battery life is worse. Much worse? No, but it's noticeable.

Thanks for the report, Hasasimo. Just wondering, perhaps I missed it, but did you do a restore from backup afterwards, or did you start fresh? Wondering if that is a deciding factor in any performance differences.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the report, Hasasimo. Just wondering, perhaps I missed it, but did you do a restore from backup afterwards, or did you start fresh? Wondering if that is a deciding factor in any performance differences.

It did automatically migrate my data over during the normal update process, but I didn't actively create and restore a backup. I'll see if things normalize a bit tomorrow under more typical use.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm by no means an expert on the frequencies available in Latin America. But I live in Guatemala. When I looked at this year's ago, I was certain my AT&T phones would work in Central America. And it does, I'm typing this now on my AT&T now.

So, I'm fairly certain, that because this phone works on both T-Mobile and AT&T frequencies, it will work in Central America, maybe even better with the T-Mobile frequencies.

As for the rest of Latin America, namely South America, I simply don't know. But seems to me Latin America follows US frequencies.

You can always double check the frequencies in the countries you live or travel. It's available on the Web.

I hope that helps.

infinitelurker

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

My battery life actually seems better, even though it was great before. I was on DP8.1, did the downgrade, updated to 8.1, hard reset, then restored from my backup.

AkAdam

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
My battery life actually seems better, even though it was great before. I was on DP8.1, did the downgrade, updated to 8.1, hard reset, then restored from my backup.

When you restore from your backup, is everything EXACTLY as it was before?? What I mean by that is do you still have to sign back into all your Apps? For example, will I have to sign into Facebook, Netflix, Hulu Plus...etc. all over again, or is that info all saved too?

saket87

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
When you restore from your backup, is everything EXACTLY as it was before?? What I mean by that is do you still have to sign back into all your Apps? For example, will I have to sign into Facebook, Netflix, Hulu Plus...etc. all over again, or is that info all saved too?

You will need in to sign on to each individual app. I think nearby/wnmlive it signed me automatically. But not all others

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure you can attribute that to all the initial Cortana indexing of your data. It should return to normal over time. Mine did.

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Dave,
To answer your question. I'm on T-Mobile and tethering (via WiFi) is working after I upgraded to Cyan/8.1. As with others, when I first bought my 1520.3 and I was using 8.0, I had to install the Spanish keyboard in order to get tethering to work. I used tethering off/on again since I bought my 1520.3 (~5-6 weeks). When I upgraded to Cyan/8.1, I just downloaded the update and let the phone do the install. After it completed (it was actually two downloads/installs), I did a hard-reset of my phone. When my phone restarted following the hard reset, ICS/tethering worked with no problems. The only thing I screwed up was restoring my backup (I just came from Android and the whole restore thing is still unclear to me). Got all my SMS/MMSs restored, but I lost all my app data... If anyone knows a good guide on how to restore following a hard reset, could you post a link?

Not sure if this helps (because I think you're on AT&T)...

Cheers,
Justin