Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Done! Looks good and Internet Sharing works! So is it the consensus I should do a hard rest before proceeding any further?

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

You're up on 8.1 now? I'd do a hard reset so you can get to your backups. When I got to 8.1, though, my phone wouldn't turn off airplane mode, so you may be better off than me.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Done and Done. I went ahead and restored the back up. Everything seems to be working fine. We'll see how it stands up after I put it through its paces the next couple days.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Done and Done. I went ahead and restored the back up. Everything seems to be working fine. We'll see how it stands up after I put it through its paces the next couple days.

You probably already know this from having had the DP, but you might want to open up some Settings apps like Glance and Cellular that will probably ask you to reboot your phone... just to get that over with.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Btw my phone did something really strange today for the first time ever... I was typing a text message and it froze, and locking the phone using the power button didn't work. Thought it was completely frozen. Tried pressing the power button a few more times and the screen went all static like a tv tuned to a non-existent channel for a split second, but then it was responsive again and I finished my text. Didn't have to reboot. Might not even be worth posting about, but it's interesting that this is the first time it's ever happened. The phone has always been flawless in every way minus the swipe/tap bug.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As Nimdock noted B&H has it for the same price and a better return policy. That's definitely worrying that Nokia US won't cover the warranty even though it shows as being under warranty through the Nokia site but maybe you have to live in the country it's meant for to be covered.

Might have to start contacting the appropriate Nokia repair division. Nokia US clearly isn't going to handle any warranty repairs for the 1520.3. They are probably stocked with AT&T 1520 parts anyway, which is why they refuse to do any warranty work.

I'm sure if you find the correct country to ship it to, then they will honor said warranty.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Question for the users that still have internet sharing, do you have tethering on your plan? I've tried the keyboard hack a number of ways but it will not work on 8.1 for me, I have a grandfathered unlimited plan. If you don't have tethering on your plan could you please describe exactly how you updated. Thanks

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't tried wired tethering but the wireless WiFi sharing is working fine on mine with TMo. I had to do the keyboard hack on WDP, but it worked right away with 8.1/Cyan.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
You probably already know this from having had the DP, but you might want to open up some Settings apps like Glance and Cellular that will probably ask you to reboot your phone... just to get that over with.

Yep, I've been through a couple of those already. Restoring that backup was a HUGE time saver, and it doesn't seem to have had any bad effects that I've noticed. I did wake up a little late this morning because I didn't configure the volume on my alarm program. It's one that builds from a real soft noise over 10 minutes. It didn't wake me this morning until about 9:30 into the 10 minutes. I'm sure there's some stuff I'm overlooking that I'll discover in time.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Question for the users that still have internet sharing, do you have tethering on your plan? I've tried the keyboard hack a number of ways but it will not work on 8.1 for me, I have a grandfathered unlimited plan. If you don't have tethering on your plan could you please describe exactly how you updated. Thanks

I do not have tethering on my plan. I did the hack on 8.0 twice because I tried to update with the developer preview with no luck so I had to reset my phone to 8.0. Just got the 8.1 update and tethering still works.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The only way I could fix that contact picture was to delete the contact from GMail and recreate it. When I tried fixing it in the People app, it would bring up the correct picture, but after I hit save, I was looking at my friend Rob's mug. Strange.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
One thing I was curious about. Now that I have Cyan installed, do I still have the option of loading the Developer's Preview? I have no plans to do so but there are some news items on new changes coming to 8.1 that will be released to the WDP first. Just wondering if that includes something I'd really like to have immediately rather than wait, would I have the option.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
One more before heading to lunch. It seems strange that we have the tap/swipe bug yet I feel like I have to double tap pretty firmly to wake the phone up from the Glance screen. ???

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
One more before heading to lunch. It seems strange that we have the tap/swipe bug yet I feel like I have to double tap pretty firmly to wake the phone up from the Glance screen. ???

I think they turned down the sensitivity a bit to make it occur less frequently. I do get it a lot less now then before.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I just discovered something else. Three of my live tiles are dead. They were for the news, sports, and weather apps that originally came with the phone, but the apps are no longer available.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I do not have tethering on my plan. I did the hack on 8.0 twice because I tried to update with the developer preview with no luck so I had to reset my phone to 8.0. Just got the 8.1 update and tethering still works.

Thanks, did you have to do anything special after you updated, or did it just work right after the update? I've gone back to 8.0 for now but my try to update again over the weekend. I really want my internet sharing and a few games I play had major stuttering on 8.1.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just discovered something else. Three of my live tiles are dead. They were for the news, sports, and weather apps that originally came with the phone, but the apps are no longer available.

The Bing News app appeared to be dead after downgrading then upgrading to Cyan, but all I did was download it again.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App