Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I busted the screen of my AT&T 1520 this weekend and am considering the .3 version from Newegg.

Just to clarify, internet sharing works fine, right? I have the 10gig shared data plan and use tethering a lot. It's something that the .3 version needs to work on.

​Thanks.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that internet sharing still works after upgrading to 8.1 Update 1 with the DP (coming from Cyan). I'm using T-Mobile. I know this is one of the most important features for a lot of you, just figured I'd let you know it's safe to upgrade. I haven't had much time with it, so I can't say if it causes other issues or not, but I haven't noticed anything. Something interesting that I noticed is that there is now a drop-down menu in the internet sharing options to select whether to share via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I'm not sure what to make of it. I have always used Bluetooth on my Surface Pro 3 to activate internet sharing with my phone, but I'm pretty sure the Bluetooth "relationship" was only used to allow my Surface to turn on internet sharing without having to take out my phone, and that a Wi-Fi connection was established after that, but I honestly don't know. Let me know if any of you can clear this up for me.

3_D

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that internet sharing still does not work with AT&T, if on unlimited data, after upgrading to 8.1 Update 1 with the DP (coming from Cyan).

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay so my lock screen is being weird in Update 1. I was using Live Lock Screen Beta which no longer works at all, but my normal lock screen is making the lock noise twice when I lock and the unlock noise twice as well (once when I press the physical lock/power button when the screen turns on and once again when I swipe up to unlock). Obviously not a deal breaker here, just interesting. Also I swear Cortana sounds way better. Much more realistic. Was that supposed to be a new feature or am I taking crazy pills?

EDIT: A soft reset fixed the lock screen issues.

Last edited:

rawidema

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that internet sharing still does not work with AT&T, if on unlimited data, after upgrading to 8.1 Update 1 with the DP (coming from Cyan).

So just to confirm those on ATT. I've seen that those with the 10GB plan that includes sharing that it does work. I've seen those that have said that they don't have sharing say that it did on 8.0 but not once they updated. This quoted plan is "unlimited" which I think in those days still had to have sharing linked with the account. Makes sense that those that don't have it included wouldn't work. Then there are others that just say it works but don't say what their plan has. I'm trying to discern this as my .3 arrives today and will send it back depending on the answer.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that internet sharing still works after upgrading to 8.1 Update 1 with the DP (coming from Cyan). I'm using T-Mobile. I know this is one of the most important features for a lot of you, just figured I'd let you know it's safe to upgrade. I haven't had much time with it, so I can't say if it causes other issues or not, but I haven't noticed anything. Something interesting that I noticed is that there is now a drop-down menu in the internet sharing options to select whether to share via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I'm not sure what to make of it. I have always used Bluetooth on my Surface Pro 3 to activate internet sharing with my phone, but I'm pretty sure the Bluetooth "relationship" was only used to allow my Surface to turn on internet sharing without having to take out my phone, and that a Wi-Fi connection was established after that, but I honestly don't know. Let me know if any of you can clear this up for me.
Bluetooth internet sharing is a new feature. You select, WiFi or Bluetooth
Using Bluetooth to activate sharing from your laptop is still there.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The lack of responses to the AT&T questions make me believe this just isn't a safe buy for the .3 version if you have to have ICS.

If you have tethering on your plan you shouldn't have a problem. People like me that have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, or just a plan without tethering lost the option with Cyan. I used tethering daily on 8.0. I've read one post where the person says they still had after the update but it was unclear if he had tethering service on his plan or not.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Basically if you have Internet Sharing enabled in your plan Cyan will work fine on any carrier. I tried them all and they all worked. No tricks, no workarounds. (Haha, by all I make it sound like this huge list but it was AT&T and T-Mobile; they both worked fine).

If you are trying to use Internet Sharing and it is not part of your plan then move along because it won't work (remain pre-Cyan). Cyan even hides the option completely when it is not detected as part of the plan (checks through sim card if I am not mistaken) so you can't even try to turn it on. I once managed to make the option appear appear (still didn't work though) but I don't know how because after that everything I tried still failed to make it show up.

rawidema

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
That was what I was needing to hear Nimdock. I couldn't find that definitive answer. It is nice to know then on 8.0 to just change the country and region to my location and nothing else special should be needed for the upgrade.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So I've installed the 8.1 GDR1 update and it appears that the swipe/tap bug has been fixed!

I hope I'm not premature, but I could replicate the bug pretty easily in the Facebook app when scrolling. I'm happy to say that it hasn't happened one time since upgrading. What a relief 😌.

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
So. I'm on an AT&T go phone plan. I am running the developer preview. I decided to be patient instead of downgrading back to 8.0. My update came last night. I had done the hack to get tethering to work. After the update it still works, thankfully. It looks like I have all the features of Cyan, the Live folders and other things like that but my phone still says I'm on Black. Am I missing something? I'm not too worried about it cause everything is working beautifully.

John Mark Dyer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
So. I'm on an AT&T go phone plan. I am running the developer preview. I decided to be patient instead of downgrading back to 8.0. My update came last night. I had done the hack to get tethering to work. After the update it still works, thankfully. It looks like I have all the features of Cyan, the Live folders and other things like that but my phone still says I'm on Black. Am I missing something? I'm not too worried about it cause everything is working beautifully.

Your update wasn't Cyan. It was Windows 8.1 Update 1 (GDDR1). Live Folders is a feature of the Update 1 software, not Cyan firmware. If you want Cyan, you will still need to downgrade, or continue to wait for Microsoft to release a fix for you. It's up to you. You can still get Cyan either way, it's just a matter of how patient you are. If you are happy with it as you stated, it's fine to just wait. :) In fact, if you are using the Spanish keyboard trick to get tethering that you aren't paying for or that isn't included in your plan (I would assume that a Go Phone plan doesn't include it, but I could be wrong. You'd know better than I.), Cyan will just mess things up for you.

Daniel Tyo

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Got my 1520.3 today (from B&H Photo), running on AT&T, upgraded to 8.1 and life is good - very good! The only unexpected issue was needing to go to the AT&T store and pick up a nano SIM card - didn't know the SIM out of my L920 wouldn't fit. Anyway, the kind folks at the store produced a nano SIM quickly and I was on my way. An expensive upgrade from the L920, but very happy with the results.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed a bit of a quirk. When I got a notification in the past that apps had been updated, if I tapped the notification, I was taken to a list of the apps that had been affected. Now when I tap the notification, I'm taken to the App Store. I can find any listing of what was updated. ???

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a bit of a quirk. When I got a notification in the past that apps had been updated, if I tapped the notification, I was taken to a list of the apps that had been affected. Now when I tap the notification, I'm taken to the App Store. I can find any listing of what was updated. ???

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

Go to the Store. Tap the three dots. Click download. Swipe right to "History". That's where it is for me, with 1020 running 8.1 GDR1.