Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I had a rather disconcerting development. I left my phone on the Qi charger in the living room over night. When I walked in, it was making that noise is does when it connects over and over. The phone was warm and only charged to 67%. Not good. Of course, that could be a problem with the charger rather than the phone. I have two chargers at home so I can do a little troubleshooting, but first I'm plugging in a USB charger just to make sure it can be charged to 100%.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a bit of a quirk. When I got a notification in the past that apps had been updated, if I tapped the notification, I was taken to a list of the apps that had been affected. Now when I tap the notification, I'm taken to the App Store. I can find any listing of what was updated. ???

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX

In the store click the ellipsis, then downloads, then swipe (left or right, does not matter) and you'll see history.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a rather disconcerting development. I left my phone on the Qi charger in the living room over night. When I walked in, it was making that noise is does when it connects over and over. The phone was warm and only charged to 67%. Not good. Of course, that could be a problem with the charger rather than the phone. I have two chargers at home so I can do a little troubleshooting, but first I'm plugging in a USB charger just to make sure it can be charged to 100%.

Yikes. What brand/model Qi charger?

Flytetymex

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got my 1520.3 today (from B&H Photo), running on AT&T, upgraded to 8.1 and life is good - very good! The only unexpected issue was needing to go to the AT&T store and pick up a nano SIM card - didn't know the SIM out of my L920 wouldn't fit. Anyway, the kind folks at the store produced a nano SIM quickly and I was on my way. An expensive upgrade from the L920, but very happy with the results.

Some other folk have complained about not having LTE after switching over to the phone on AT&T. Did you have any such issue?

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Yikes. What brand/model Qi charger?

It's a Nokia DT-900. The phone charged right up to 100% on the USB charger, and never seemed to get warm in the process. I'm going to do some more testing to see if I can isolate it to a charger. I have three of them.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a Nokia DT-900. The phone charged right up to 100% on the USB charger, and never seemed to get warm in the process. I'm going to do some more testing to see if I can isolate it to a charger. I have three of them.

​Well at least it's not the phone so far. Hopefully none of the wireless charging components within the device are array either.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
​Well at least it's not the phone so far. Hopefully none of the wireless charging components within the device are array either.

Yea, at least I know I can charge it the old fashion way if I have to. I'm putting it back on the same charger now (at81%).

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Posted this question, got one reply, thanks Nimdock.

1520.3 on the way from B&H. On AT&T with Family Value Plan. Internet sharing works fine on my 920 with this plan.
Have access to a nano sim cutter, used it before and it works fine.
Should I get a new sim from the AT&T store or cut the one that is in the 920. Why?
Want internet sharing to continue to work.
Thanks

enroh_mada

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
man, its 700$ here in canada :(

I paid $840 all in from OmegaCell w/next day shipping before some places started dropping their prices. B&H I think is still the best deal (make sure you select the option where they take care of duties as you dont want a nasty surprise) - now pull the trigger and do it.. :)
You will not be disappointed.

Amr Monzir

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a rather stupid question and quite strange... I've not read the whole 56 pages, but I got the whole idea.... that the 1520.3 is better than at&t's 1520.. However, I'm confused about one thing ... I live in the middle east .. in Palestine in particular and the Lumias have always fascinated me... Can I get the 1520.3 in Palestine and not have any problem because of where I live.. or is it just exclusive to the US?

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Can I get the 1520.3 in Palestine and not have any problem because of where I live.. or is it just exclusive to the US?

It's definitely not exclusive to the USA. It was built with the Latin American market in mind. So if you can get hold of one, I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work as long as there are GSM/LTE providers in your area.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I'll probably seek out a more appropriate forum for this query but I thought I'd try my fellow Unicorn drivers first. When I press the voice system activation button on my car (Hyundai Sonata), I normally get a voice prompt that says "Please say a command." It's worked with my Android phones and it was working with the 1520.3 as well as best I can remember. It still works if the phone isn't paired, but when I tried to use it yesterday with the phone, I didn't get the voice prompt, just a short noise like you would get with some kind of error message. I can still voice dial by tapping on the Cortana tile and then the microphone, but there was a tip in the news section that you could connect to Cortana through the voice prompt. It's a minor annoyance but I'd like to figure it out. Any ideas??

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a rather stupid question and quite strange... I've not read the whole 56 pages, but I got the whole idea.... that the 1520.3 is better than at&t's 1520.. However, I'm confused about one thing ... I live in the middle east .. in Palestine in particular and the Lumias have always fascinated me... Can I get the 1520.3 in Palestine and not have any problem because of where I live.. or is it just exclusive to the US?

Yes, it will work. Not sure if you'll get LTE though. Check which LTE frequency your mobile provider uses. I think it's either 1800 or 2600 in that part of the world depending on your provider. The 1520.3 supports 2600 but not 1800. I believe everything else should work though.

Amr Monzir

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, I believe that my mobile provider does not support 4G ...:cry::angry:
though it does support 3G ..
I don't intend to use the internet without WiFi on the phone... I only want to make calls and enjoy a powerful phone such as that one ...
Does not having the required frequency affect the making-calls-process and the phone's performance or not?
sorry guys, I just don't understand much about those things...:unhappy:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, I believe that my mobile provider does not support 4G ...:cry::angry:
though it does support 3G ..
I don't intend to use the internet without WiFi on the phone... I only want to make calls and enjoy a powerful phone such as that one ...
Does not having the required frequency affect the making-calls-process and the phone's performance or not?
sorry guys, I just don't understand much about those things...:unhappy:

Yes, you will be able to make calls as well. The 1520.3 is fully compatible with your use case.

By the way, all you need is the regular international version of the Lumia 1520, the RM-937 variant. No sense spending more on the RM-938 (1520.3) if you can find the RM-937 for cheaper. It'll even be compatible with LTE in your region if your carrier has it. The RM-937 has built-in Qi charging and 32GB internal storage just like the RM-938.

Last edited: