Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've noticed over time is that I got a better signal and data throughput on T-Mobile with my Note. I (and other phone geeks at work) refer to out restrooms as hotspots because the data signal in the stall by the wall was good. It's not nearly as good with the 1520. It's not that big of a deal but it's noticeable.
I noticed that my wife's 925 gets better signals than my 1520.3. FYI It is in the process of being replaced for another problem which I don't think affected the signal strength. Maybe the metal band acts as or helps the built in antenna.

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the cr-201 as a car mount for my 1520.3. Works pretty well as far as charging, but it presses on the camera button in order to grip the phone. Now I've noticed that my camera button doesn't work anymore. Also, today my power button isn't working (that's not affected by the car mount). Is anyone experiencing problems with their power/camera buttons?

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mobile sharing isnt working any more. I hadnt tried in a month or so, but on a trip recently and it wont work. It keeps telling me my plan doesnt allow it, even though it does. I called Tmo to confirm.

Help?

Lumia 1520.3, Tmobile, 8.1 DP, Black firmware

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
The Unicorn is NOT covered under Nokia US Warranty. I've had issues with my power button and camera button not working. I put in my IMEI in the nokia website, something I know others on this forum have done, and it says it's under warranty. Nokia sent me a shipping label to ship my phone. I did so. They notified me when they received it which was nice. But now they're shipping it back to me without fixing the issue with this message:

"This product is not covered by the Nokia USA limited warranty as the device was not

designed for the US market. We do not have the capability to repair devices that were not

designed for the US market. Please check the warranty information that was included with

your device and / or contact your point of purchase."

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
We do not have the capability to repair devices that were not

designed for the US market.

What a crock! It's one thing to say that their policy is to not repair devices not intended for the US market, but this is BS. The buttons work the same no matter the variant.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Unicorn is NOT covered under Nokia US Warranty. I've had issues with my power button and camera button not working. I put in my IMEI in the nokia website, something I know others on this forum have done, and it says it's under warranty. Nokia sent me a shipping label to ship my phone. I did so. They notified me when they received it which was nice. But now they're shipping it back to me without fixing the issue with this message:

"This product is not covered by the Nokia USA limited warranty as the device was not

designed for the US market. We do not have the capability to repair devices that were not

designed for the US market. Please check the warranty information that was included with

your device and / or contact your point of purchase."

I'd raise hell if I were you.

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm being shafted or not. Common sense says, of course they should be able to fix the issue. It's pretty much the same phone as the US variant, minus wireless charging. But from my little research it looks like this is how warranties work. Company's want you to buy the their products from your locality and the warranties are tied to the locality. On my 1520.3 it's a Nokia in Mexico.

I'll do a little more research and see. I'll probably just send the phone to their Nokia Certified phone repair folks in Alabama. They tell me it will cost about $88 plus the cost of shipping the phone back. But that's IF they can fix it. Otherwise it's $15 for a 'diagnostic fee'. I used them when my wife's 1020 screen broke. I haven't had issues with it. If they can't fix it, I'll be moving on to something else.

I guess the lesson here is if you're going to buy an international phone consider getting those Square Trade protection plans. They cover everything although I find them pricey (about $70 for a year) and you still have to pay a deductible each time you use it. Something like $75 or something like that in addition. If the folks in Alabama can fix my phone it'll be cheaper than that. But it might be worth it for whoever is reading this and thinking about buying international variants.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Between myself and my wife, we've never warrantied a device and only used insurance once (she likes to carry insurance, I don't).

I figure I'll be fine on my 1520.3 in the US or pay out of pocket if something does go wrong...

You do have some valuable insights for those who might be considering a 1520.3, ezeuzo 1.

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Between myself and my wife, we've never warrantied a device and only used insurance once (she likes to carry insurance, I don't).

I figure I'll be fine on my 1520.3 in the US or pay out of pocket if something does go wrong...

You do have some valuable insights for those who might be considering a 1520.3, ezeuzo 1.

I'm guessing you will be. Seems like a one off issue. I haven't heard of anyone else (frustrating) having the same issues. I don't get insurance either on electronics. It's nice to have but feels like you're getting played. Paying for something you won't use. Until you have to use then you're glad you have it. But you probably won't use it...yeah.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone just sent their 1520.3 to Nokia in Mexico for warranty repair?

My first 1520.3 went bad at about 5 or 6 weeks. B&H just sent me another new one since they have a 3 month warranty. That was the main reason I went with B&H over Newegg. Newegg only offered a 1 month warranty. That and they made you accept a term that technically meant you couldn't return it under any circumstances.

And if you are buying a phone with no warranty in your country, think about 3rd party insurance and buy it with a credit card that extends the seller's warranty.

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone just sent their 1520.3 to Nokia in Mexico for warranty repair?

My first 1520.3 went bad at about 5 or 6 weeks. B&H just sent me another new one since they have a 3 month warranty. That was the main reason I went with B&H over Newegg. Newegg only offered a 1 month warranty. That and they made you accept a term that technically meant you couldn't return it under any circumstances.

And if you are buying a phone with no warranty in your country, think about 3rd party insurance and buy it with a credit card that extends the seller's warranty.

From my research I get the idea that you can't send it to another country where the warranty lies. You'd have to actually go to Mexico to get it fixed.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
From my research I get the idea that you can't send it to another country where the warranty lies. You'd have to actually go to Mexico to get it fixed.
I don't believe that. People do travel. It would not be good business to tell your customer who happens to be in Europe or the US that they have to come home to Mexico to get their phone fixed.

I think the reason warranties are geographically limited is because they are separate businesses. Money for repairing phones in a market are set aside from the sales of those phones. So Nokia Mexico or whatever its called has the money to repair the 1520.3s sold by them including the ones sold to B&H. Nokia US didn't see a dime of the money for the sale of those 1520.3s so isn't about to fix them. But I think Nokia Mexico SHOULD be happy to.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I paid Square Trade around $100 for TWO years of coverage. I had bought several SQ warranties without ever having to use them, so I didn't buy one when I bought the Note 2. I wasn't going to buy any more warranties but I decided to buy one on this phone when the question of their warranty was in doubt. I hope I don't have to use it, but glad I bought it.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
A repeat of post #1153

Good deal! My only regret in this whole process was canceling my B&H order and going with NewEgg. By the way, Square Trade has been sending out 40% off codes for their warranty. I decided to get one and it came out to $92 with Texas sales tax for two years of full coverage. They've dropped their deductible to $75. I originally decided I wasn't going to because I bought warranties on five Android phones that I've never used (Nexus/Note); however, there's been enough speculation about the status of the Nokia warranty on the 1520.3 that I decided better safe than sorry.

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Mobile sharing isnt working any more. I hadnt tried in a month or so, but on a trip recently and it wont work. It keeps telling me my plan doesnt allow it, even though it does. I called Tmo to confirm.

Help?

Lumia 1520.3, Tmobile, 8.1 DP, Black firmware

You should try it again. I got the cyan update for my 1520.3 8.1 DP and i got my internet sharing back with t-mobile.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I need to check to see if AmEx doubles my 3 month B&H warranty or adds a year to it. Either way, I think I will get a 3rd party warranty when the end is near. How does one find these coupons for Square Trade? Do you sign up to get them via email or have to be a former customer or what?

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I had a bit of a scare today. The speaker on my phone quit working. I plugged in some headphones and they worked phone. I cycled power and everything started working normally. A little disconcerting. Meanwhile, it seems to be taking a long time for the phone to wake up. I get that "resuming" prompt every time, and it seems to take longer now.

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I need to check to see if AmEx doubles my 3 month B&H warranty or adds a year to it. Either way, I think I will get a 3rd party warranty when the end is near. How does one find these coupons for Square Trade? Do you sign up to get them via email or have to be a former customer or what?

I get emails with codes all the time from Square Trade.; however, think you have to buy the warranty shortly after you buy the phone.