Lumia 1520.3 w/ AWS, 700Mhz and QI

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Well my cell phone is back and working properly again. The folks at palcocellphonerepair.com seem to know what they're doing. I don't know why the buttons stopped working. I wonder if it has to do with the Nokia CR-201. It's nice car stand but it presses on the camera button. I got the idea from someone on another forum to cut off the part of the clamp that presses on the camera button. It's still a snug tight fit and wireless charging is unaffected. Kinda sad that I would have to do that though. Bad design for a product that's supposed to be designed for the 1520

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Can someone save me the trouble of reading 60 pages of posts. Should I just buy the AT&T version of the 1520 or is there some other international version that is better? If so, where do I buy it? My last question is, what software version will I be able to download when I do? My other phone is the Lumia Icon and I am running 8.1 Developer Preview & awaiting Cyan. Will I be further ahead or behind in software?

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Lumiaicon, it depends on your answers to some questions:
1. Are you planning on using it exclusively on AT&T?
2. Are you OK with having 16gb of internal storage rather than 32?
3. Are you OK with having a special case on the phone to enable wireless charging?
4. Do you insist on Nokia USA honoring your manufacturer's warranty?

If the answer to all of these is YES, then buy the AT&T version. They have already upgraded to Cyan and you can run WDP8.1.

If you want 32gb and true Qi charging, and can live with dubious warranty coverage, then I believe the RM-937 version is compatible with AT&T (I'm not perfectly sure--I did all my research with the intent of getting something for T-Mobile). I'm not sure what the firmware status of that model is. Of course, if you're OK with the above, and think you may use T-Mobile at some point, the then RM-938 (1500.3) is the phone to get.

Hope this helps.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Got it. So RM-938 is FULLY functional on AT&T plus with that, you get wireless charging and 32G storage. Right? How about firmware? Regular updates... 8.1 & cyan?

ezeuzo1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Got it. So RM-938 is FULLY functional on AT&T plus with that, you get wireless charging and 32G storage. Right? How about firmware? Regular updates... 8.1 & cyan?

Yep. Fully functional. I'm responding with a Lumia 1520.3 (Yellow). It has wireless charging which I use in my car and by my beside every day. It's running Lumia Cyan. And it's on AT&T.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
there have been some popping up on eBay but I wasn't sure to trust them.
I've watched a bunch of used 1520.3's go off on ebay, all of which went higher than they should have for used phones that are available new at $499.
I think the cheapest i saw was $450 or so, all the way up to $485.
Unless i'm missing something, it makes much more sense to just buy it new.

The price is what is keeping me from buying a 1520. I really want built in wireless charging, but i'm not so sure i want to buy a year old phone for $500.
I think i could handle modding an ATT 1520, but i haven't crunched the numbers yet to see if it's worth it.

GLou

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
The cost should not hinder you to much. Flagship phones that are a year old normally go for over $500. I am on T-Mobile and a new Galaxy Note 3 goes for over $500 and a new Galaxy S4 goes for about 450. These are top of the line phones like the 1520.3 and are basically the same price or more. The added benefit is that the 1520.3 is that it is unlocked also. I am hoping for a little bit of a sale on this Lumia during the holdiays in that I just bought the Note 4. Dying to add the 1520.3 to my lineup.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got a new 1520.3 from B&H + 128GB SD card. Working perfect on T-Mo. I have two questions:
1. How to make Internet sharing to work?
2. How to install maps on SD card? Whatever I read just does not work.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Internet sharing "just works" for me on T-Mobile with a 1520.3.

If it is not working for you, ensure you have all the latest updates (Settings->Phone Updates).

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Internet sharing "just works" for me on T-Mobile with a 1520.3.

If it is not working for you, ensure you have all the latest updates (Settings->Phone Updates).

The phone is up to date. But internet sharing is not working. What else could be done? I know that after Cyan it was broken on 1020, but read that people still have it on 1520. Is it true? If yes, what can I do?

dclaryjr

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The phone is up to date. But internet sharing is not working. What else could be done? I know that after Cyan it was broken on 1020, but read that people still have it on 1520. Is it true? If yes, what can I do?

It's working great on my T-Mobile 1520.3. Have you done the Spanish keyboard install? I had to do that initially but I haven't had to do anything with any subsequent software upgrades.

JennyTan

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Call T mobile to register your 1520.3 's IMEI# in T mobile's master database.

I was on AT&T with iphone5 with an unlimited plan (real old plan). Never turned on tethering because that requires me to move to new 5G plan. Not willing to. Bought 1520.3, surprisingly tethering works flawlessly. Then my 1520.3 failed to boot up because over-drained battery on a trip. So I picked up an AT&T L635. Called AT&T to turn on tethering, they asked my work company's phone admin to request it because it was a business phone. After back from trip, I made my 1520.3 booted up. But I lost tethering(internet sharing). So I asked company's phone admin request at&t to change my plan to 5G and officially put my line to "Allow Internet Sharing". But tethering did not work on 1520.3, nor L635. I called at&t support many times, no one could help. Each support call, they always verify my IMEI#. Finally I realized maybe their master database still have my iphone5 IMEI# because I never called specifically to change it. I called at&t and asked to change IMEI# and phone was routed to the right department of doing this change. Boom... 1520.3 worked flawlessly on tethering. I did the same thing for L635 on another at&t line, worked as well.