New Sandisk 128GB MicroSDXC Support

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Quick Update:

I did 5 minutes of daylight video recording today (Traffic outside my window) and the shuttering at 1080/30fps does still happen, although not very often. Basically there were 3 brief moments in the video where I could see it dropped maybe 1-3 frames.

At 720p/30fps I saw no issues at all.

I can post the video on OneDrive if anyone is interested (If you are into watching traffic and trains) but for those that were hoping that they could have their 128GB cake and eat it too, I'm going to say probably not yet. For my purposes it works more than well enough and I really do want the space so I'd still say the card is a good buy unless you are heavy into 1080p motion video recording.

- Michael

Not that I am interested in traffic or trains (Well maybe the trains lol) But it would be nice to see it..... I took a 28 minute video @1080 and it froze my 1520 and did not recover. Not sure if it was the card (Worked great on my laptop) But they replaced the phone.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Holy Crap! Do you even listen to them or just archive them into the phone as a backup?

I got about 30GB of MP3's and probably even more in video's. I only keep about 1,500 songs on my phone, and a few movie's. Over time you just collect them, I was playing with MP3 Download on my android and went over my 3GB a month downloading songs. Now I have 10GB a month, Hmmmm I smell a challenge. LOL

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I got about 30GB of MP3's and probably even more in video's. I only keep about 1,500 songs on my phone, and a few movie's. Over time you just collect them, I was playing with MP3 Download on my android and went over my 3GB a month downloading songs. Now I have 10GB a month, Hmmmm I smell a challenge. LOL

It was same here, I downloaded over 10gb of music one day. Other than that, I had around 200gbs of music. Adding Hawkwind, it increased by 50gbs or so, lol.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Ask ye shall receive:

I found the test results from the App kind of interesting and I suspect that the Bus is a big limiting factor since I know on a fast interface the card can do (and does) considerably better.

(Thanks for the App suggestion BTW, Been looking for something like that - Michael)

View attachment 59326

Excellent result! My Ultra 64Gb shows around 5.5-6.0! And I have stuttering when recording video on my 1520. Definitely will buy 128gb version!

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Just curious...for those who are already receiving their 128GB cards from Amazon, when did you order them? I ordered mine the day they were listed on Slickdeals, and it still shows Mar 25 delivery.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ask ye shall receive:

I found the test results from the App kind of interesting and I suspect that the Bus is a big limiting factor since I know on a fast interface the card can do (and does) considerably better.

(Thanks for the App suggestion BTW, Been looking for something like that - Michael)

59326d1394574985t-att-1520-128gb-sandisk.jpg

That app is in no way accurate. When I ran it it told me my phone memory write speed was 60 MBs. I have an Sandisk Extreme card and it showed my write speed as 10.57 MBs. The card is rated as 50 MBs write speed. There may be a bottle neck in the system but even the app states when it does it's write tests it cannot bypassed the file system cache. Not sure what these numbers are but they are not the true naked write speeds.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Not that I am interested in traffic or trains (Well maybe the trains lol) But it would be nice to see it..... I took a 28 minute video @1080 and it froze my 1520 and did not recover. Not sure if it was the card (Worked great on my laptop) But they replaced the phone.

I'll see if I can upload some video recorded to the SanDisk card later today on a OneDrive share.

- Michael

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just curious...for those who are already receiving their 128GB cards from Amazon, when did you order them? I ordered mine the day they were listed on Slickdeals, and it still shows Mar 25 delivery.

I ordered mine within an hour or so after the Amazon page went up (3/5); figured the 1st batch would sell fast...

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine the day I saw it was available, which according to my email archives was Feb 25). I received mine on Monday this week.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

OK, I've posted two videos that were recorded directly to the 128GB Sandisk Card. One was at 1080p/30fps and the other was at 720p/30fps. Both are between 5-6 minutes in length. I'll keep them available for as long as I don't need the OneDrive Space. :wink:

http://1drv.ms/1fqGGQS

If anyone has any trouble accessing them just let me know.

- Michael

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That app is in no way accurate. When I ran it it told me my phone memory write speed was 60 MBs. I have an Sandisk Extreme card and it showed my write speed as 10.57 MBs. The card is rated as 50 MBs write speed. There may be a bottle neck in the system but even the app states when it does it's write tests it cannot bypassed the file system cache. Not sure what these numbers are but they are not the true naked write speeds.

I just ran it and I have a SanDisk extreme plus, my score was 8.63 MBs and my phone memory was only I'm the 30s.......wtf lol

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just ran it and I have a SanDisk extreme plus, my score was 8.63 MBs and my phone memory was only I'm the 30s.......wtf lol

While I'm not sure of the accuracy of the App (although if it is off I don't think it's by a whole lot) I would recommend running the app a few times to eliminate as much variation in CPU and Background Task interference as possible. Usually when I'm benchmarking something I kill all killable running apps and do 3 passes. You'd be surprised at how variation there can be sometimes.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Sandisk Ultra 64 Gb: 6,20 Mbs ... Lumia 1520 internal memory: 34,25 Mbs (2nd run: 55,45 Mbs)

Well, I will recheck after WP 8.1 - it might change something :)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

You are no right. Vendor's speed of card is the maximum speed that this card can reach. A lot of things can slow down your writing speed (SD Card interface, CPU, Battery level and so on). This app writes 500Mb file to SD card and calculate time taken to finish. Now just simple mathematics and you got your real interface speed. And do not forget that this is mobile device :) It should not as fast as PC with USB 3.0 interface.

Why a lot of users with Ultra card (30mb write speed) have stuttering while video recording? Just because interface+(other things)+sd card not always produce maximum speed.

rocwest

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

For a point of reference tested with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card:

SD Write speed: 10.55Mbs
Phone memory write speed: 79.52Mbs

FWIW I ran the test 3 times, the highest speed recorded for the SD write speed was 10.92Mbs, the lowest 10.51Mbs.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have googeld but couldn't find the official bus speed for 1520. Anybody knows the Vendor/Nokia numbers for read/write speed to MicroSDXC card incise 1520?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3