Bugged proximity sensor

Edgar2014

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, yet another mostly happy lumia 1520 owner joins your ranks :)

I'd like to ask if anyone has encountered an strange issue when glance screen that is set to peek mode simply stops working? That is you hover your palm over the proximity sensor but glance screen doesn't turn on. After soft restart the issue is gone for quite some time but then it comes back :(
What should I do?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Does the sensor stop working or is it a glance issue? Try making a whole call and cover the sensor (as if the phone was against your head) and see if the screen goes black. That is the best way I know to test the proximity sensor.

Next time you have the issue: I'd also turn Glance from peek to always on, and see if something acts wonky.

Edgar2014

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Just tested it, during a call phone screen won't turn off if glance screen isn't working. Its indeed extremely odd because given the seemingly sporadic appearance rate for the issue this seems to be random software glitch rather than something hardware related in which case sensor would either work or not.

Cliff_Viva

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed this issue on my RM-937 HK variant. I particularly remember the peek function working well before the last patch / update. I feel this functionality broke because of the last patch / update.

Cliff_Viva

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Ran some more test. The proximity sensor was not working even after turning off glance. But performed a restart and then it started working (with glance off). Feel that something newly put in glance with the last patch is impacting the proximity sensor. It gets released after a restart.

Edgar2014

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hadn't try to turn off glance and use the phone w/o it . It seems your tests reinforce my idea that this is absolutely and solely software related issue (RM-937 EU2 here) .

I think I might take my phone for under warranty check-up/repair and if there's absolutely anything wrong. Also we should contact Nokia through tweeter and support forums just for the sake of it. If it's indeed an software glitch they should be informed :)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hadn't try to turn off glance and use the phone w/o it . It seems your tests reinforce my idea that this is absolutely and solely software related issue (RM-937 EU2 here) .

I think I might take my phone for under warranty check-up/repair and if there's absolutely anything wrong. Also we should contact Nokia through tweeter and support forums just for the sake of it. If it's indeed an software glitch they should be informed :)

I agree and would suggest submitting the info to them about the glitch. But I'd guess the solution would be to give the phone a Hard Reset, which would lose all your data.

Personally, I wouldn't swap out my phone because I wouldn't want to lose my app data. I'd wait to see if WP8.1 fixes it...and even if it doesn't fix it, WP8.1 was supposed to bring with it a better 'Backup' feature. Waiting the ~2 months for WP8.1 shouldn't take you outside of your warranty...right?

Edgar2014

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree and would suggest submitting the info to them about the glitch. But I'd guess the solution would be to give the phone a Hard Reset, which would lose all your data.

Personally, I wouldn't swap out my phone because I wouldn't want to lose my app data. I'd wait to see if WP8.1 fixes it...and even if it doesn't fix it, WP8.1 was supposed to bring with it a better 'Backup' feature. Waiting the ~2 months for WP8.1 shouldn't take you outside of your warranty...right?

I'm on a 2 year warranty + phone insurance for the same period so full safety here :) You are right, I think I should wait for the wp8.1 and if after the update time the issue's not fixed I'll contact my local service centre. Thanks !

harishm92

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem, it starts after i connect my phone for charging and a restart solves it. i noticed it started only after the latest update for lumia black.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i have the same problem, it starts after i connect my phone for charging and a restart solves it. i noticed it started only after the latest update for lumia black.

Nice job, way to put that together.

Just checking, but your Glance Screen comes on when you plug it in, correct? Wonder if it is something connected to that (a 'toggle' in the code that disables the proxy sensor when charging and doesn't reactivate when unplugged)

*Weird*...I just went into the Settings => Glance to see if that Charging Glance was an option and my phone told me I had to restart because I had an update. [I have a 920 though on AT&T; not a 1520. I've had Black for a bit now.]

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, it's a software problem that come with the latest patch. If you turn off glance screen the proximity sensor will work flawlessly. It starts always a couple of hours after you enable peak option in glance settings. Hopefully Nokia will fix it with a glance update.

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
hi there, i just wanted to say that iam having same issue with glance/prox sensor... but i did noticed something weird. anyway, as glance screen is bugged and i keep glance screen always on, and noticed that i dont have anymore one those screen issues (tap/slide). at least i didnt experience it through out this mornig od usage.
sorry for my english, i am a bit rusty

wp8hereicome

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
RM-937 HK variant here. Like harishm92, my proximity sensor does not function each time after I unplug the phone from charging and a soft reset will reset the issue. The sensor will continue to function until..... I charge the phone and unplug the cord again. I checked Nokia's forum and wpcentral forums but found nothing newer than some work-arounds and Nokia is still looking into the issue. Anyone got anything different recently? Thanks in advance to anyone replying :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte